What would you do?  

468 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• £30m or more to Citeh
    • £30m or more to Chelsea
    • £30m or more to Man United
    • No sale under any realistic circumstances
    • £30m or more to whoever wants him

Worth remembering the words of a football great..

Graeme Souness: "We'll never win anything with a team of James Milners."

That's what you call an eye for talent.

:crylaugh:

I didnt rate Milner that highly either till last season and know a few people that thought the same thing!! :)

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every manager makes mistakes, look at the shit buy's that Ferguson has made in his time as well.

Also, why are people so obsessed with comparing us to Spurs, why should anyone on here really give a shit what good and bad buys they have made in comparison to us.

We should hold out for £ 35 million if its Citeh or Chelsea. Make it a British record transfer. That will get us 3 players of equal or potentially equal ability.

We've got to be pragmatic on this one folks!

3 players of potential or equal ability ? If that were the case then why wouldn't the club giving us 35M for Milner just go out and get the 3 others for potential or equal ability

It's easy this football lark

Does anyone think that selling Milner will make it much harder for us to bring in a suitable replacement due to inflated prices? If a good James Milner is all of a sudden worth £30 something million, how much does that shift the value of players like Parker, Ireland, Carrick etc? The Lescott transfer last year had the same effect - it makes the transfer market in England completely disproportionate to the rest of Europe. This is why MON needs to look abroad if Milner leaves to get the best deal - very unlikely given his past dealings.

I think if we were to get the equivalent of 30m for Milner it won't be the end of the world. Yes he has been great for us but irreplaceable for that figure...I don't think so! If it were City and I think its quite a big if when the more established clubs playing Champions League show an interest, then a deal along the lines of 15m plus Ireland and Richards would suffice.

The money left would obviously be needed for a striker.......plenty of names banded about on here but I don't think Carlton Cole or Beckford enhance us at all.

So Jez, you say the players he has bought are overpriced, who would you say is overpriced?

I'll start you off

Reo Coker

Davies

Harewood

Downing

Agathe

Sutton

Marshall

Routledge

Salifou

Shorey

Sidwell

Heskey

Knight

Downing-1 Season, pretty sure the same was said about Young and Milner

Agathe-Stop Gap as MON couldn't sign anyone (Free)

Sutton- See above (Free)

Marshall - Free (3rd Choice Goalkeeper)

Routledge - Minimal Fee and it didn't work out

Salifou- Minimal Fee

Shorey - Agreed

Sidwell - 5 Million, seen worse buys than him for that amount

Heskey - 3.5Million for a England International

Knight - Sold him for a Profit

You have made some shocking signings MON. MON has struggled with squad player signings, but the first 11 signings have been impressive whether you like it or not.

The press have made a big deal of Milner not apparently committing himself to Villa. Why should he at this stage? He is focusing on the World Cup and I got the sense watching the interview that he was a little bemused by the speculation.

Milner is a pretty honourable bloke IMO and Villa have promised him a new contract so he will hear our proposals. I don't think he will easily dismiss the progress he has made under MON. Its probably 50/50 as to whether he will stay. I guess he would be more interesting if either Chelsea of Man U were in for him.

But of he does not want to stay there is no point in him staying and we should get the best price we can. For the first time ever I agree with Jamie Carragher in something! For me that's in excess of £30m and I would be happy with a deal of say £20m plus Stephen Ireland plus Micah Richards.

So Jez, you say the players he has bought are overpriced, who would you say is overpriced?

I'll start you off

Reo Coker

Davies

Harewood

Downing

Agathe

Sutton

Marshall

Routledge

Salifou

Shorey

Sidwell

Heskey

Knight

To put Downing in that list is premature, and Knight was sold s similar fee to what we broght him. Davies ad NRC have been unlucky with injuries and selection (we had milner in the middle and before that barry)

When we do sell them on iwould like to see sell on fees inserted into any deal, especially in the case of Davies, he has great potential, imo.

This milner transfer is going to get crazy, imo. Not even sure Chelsea are interested in him, they may just be inflating the fee to try and play City. Either way the end result is that Milner, IMO, will be off. He wont request it the fee will just get so great that MON will accept it, he will have to.

Milner now, whether it be with a foreign player of a UK based one, we need to source and secure the player to replace him before we let Milner go, otherwise we will be held to ransom.

On Cities players, I would take Micah Richards, he has whot it takes to play in the middle, IMO, not in a player maker role but in a Viera type role. There are rumours surrounding his training and recovery but if these can be discounted i would take a chance on him.

Man City £30m + Richards. Without Richards £35-40m

Chelsea :shock: £35m

We could aways keep him for another year and sell him after next season, if we need to. But any chance of a top 4 finish, IMO revolves around a top class striker being brought and thats a £20m purchase...............Stick or twist?

Literally frothing at the mouth to try and turn any sort of positive thing negative, aren't you? We had the 7th best goal difference in the league and finished 6th.

Who draws every game nil-nil anyway? It's hypothetical bullshit.

Yes, Milner is replacable, but what if that replacement were to be sold too after next season because he's been so good? I don't want to sell Milner for any money in the world just to make a statement. We don't sell our best players!

Literally frothing at the mouth to try and turn any sort of positive thing negative, aren't you? We had the 7th best goal difference in the league and finished 6th.

Who draws every game nil-nil anyway? It's hypothetical bullshit.

Not at all, your frothing at the mouth to batter down anyone that posts anything that isn't 100% rosy and dont try and deny it, as you've never ever posted anything negative its like Villa is christ or something!

There is nothing positive about losing Milner, nothing at all and trying to think of some long winded reason why it isnt is just head in the sand stuff again.

Sooner or later Lex you'll have to accept that MON will not change and only take us so far, we're now there! I hope i'm wrong but i cannot see him changing.

We now need to keep players like Milner because MON is incapable of seeing anything further past these shores.. resulting in over priced players which may or may not be better than a possible foreign alternative.

Oh look Everton, speculation rife that Chelsea and Utd were going to try and sign Rodwell this summer...

Contract sorted and to be signed today.

Villa should be busting a bollock to speak to Milner when he back on Sunday and sort out a deal, regardless what was agreed before he went off with England.