What would you do?  

468 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• £30m or more to Citeh
    • £30m or more to Chelsea
    • £30m or more to Man United
    • No sale under any realistic circumstances
    • £30m or more to whoever wants him

It's a shame after claiming to be finally settled at Villa and one good season at MON's suggestion he play centre midfield he's off at the first sniff of interest. Yes, City are a very ambitious team with great players and limitless transfer funds, but it's hard to get much loyalty from modern footballers these days.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he thinks hes good enough to get the playing time

its called having ambition

maybe hes way wide of the mark and it wont happen for him, but every player wants to be at the top and wants to think theyre good enough for it. milner exemplifies that spirit, yet youd think more of him if he didnt take a chance and see if he can make it somewhere massive rather than have a comfy time of it at the villa?

its more about the money with him though..
didnt see us all rushing to call him a money grabber when we signed him

Personally, I think this is Man City doing what Chelsea did when they first broke.

The first thing to do to get success, is make sure your opponents are weaker.

I think Man City buying Milner is more to make sure Villa (or even any other club that may look at him) are weaker than to make them stronger.

He is Man City's version of SWP at Chelsea.

Just off my head, Man City have Silva , Barry , Toure. then others like De Jong, bellamy, SWP. Johnson , the other Johnson, Ireland

Personally, I would play any of those over Milner and if they want to swap, would take any of them.

So, whether Jimmy thinks he will play or not, I cannot see it happening.

Hi folks quick question

with the introduction of the uefa financial fair play rule in a few years will teams have to be breaking even or making a profit! and if so what would be the consequences if teams are not breaking even?"

Would the money from Jimmys transfer be spent on new players or would the money help us to break even?

10 games is the minimum for a Premier League medal but doesn't guarentee you one as a winning club only get 21 medals. So depending on the size of a squad you could play in 10 games win the league and not get a medal. By the same token if there are medals left over because 21 players haven't made 10 appearances or more then its up to the club.

Interesting.

What about Cups?

The more I think about this, the more I think it's a better deal for us. He's a really good player, but not as important to us as Ashley Young and Gabby - better than them, but not as important to us. I think we can replace him and move on.

The fact is, signing someone for £12m then selling for £25-30m is good business. It's that sort of deal which will help out Randy and help us keep purchasing new quality players. Lyon operate a similar system of selling their top players for top fees, it makes perfect sense.....have a read of "Why England Lose", a fantastic football and statistics book - really interesting stuff.

Yeh i mean City being linked with Donovan as well. Possibly just to weaken Everton? (they were reportedly interested in him longterm)

Its a real mish mash theyre accumilating up there.

A real expensive odds and sods collection of midfielders esp. - Its pretty hard to figure exactly what sort of set up theyre trying to do other than just weaken teams around them that they can.

Yeh i mean City being linked with Donovan as well. Possibly just to weaken Everton? (they were reportedly interested in him longterm)

Its a real mish mash theyre accumilating up there.

A real expensive odds and sods collection of midfielders esp. - Its pretty hard to figure exactly what sort of set up theyre trying to do other than just weaken teams around them that they can.

It's just a, sign everyone and hope for the best.

More money than brains springs to mind.

Pete - I'm a loyal Aston Villa supporter, I would rather he does stay at this club and I've offered a reasonable view why he should. He isn't guaranteed anything at City as a footballer, I've seen what he has achieved at Aston Villa last year and he can play an integral part in taking us further in the future.

This was always going to happen and if we can get close to £30m for him we've done very well.

The balance of our midfield looked wrong with Milner/Petrov in there so it might also sort that problem out and allow us to strengthen in several areas.

I'd be far more gutted if Ashley Young left.

i would take ireland over millner,i know some city fans who rate ireland higher than millner, lets take stock for a second,millner had a ordinary first year at the villa,he did well at the start of last season in the middle then faded midseason,showed bottle at wembley & carrick ran him ragged ,can you honestly say millner shone in the world cup? £25m ..snapp their hand mon,easy replace i reacon

he thinks hes good enough to get the playing time

its called having ambition

maybe hes way wide of the mark and it wont happen for him, but every player wants to be at the top and wants to think theyre good enough for it. milner exemplifies that spirit, yet youd think more of him if he didnt take a chance and see if he can make it somewhere massive rather than have a comfy time of it at the villa?

its more about the money with him though..
didnt see us all rushing to call him a money grabber when we signed him
He came for pure footballing reasons, it's disputable if he is going to City for the same reasons.

Milner is well over-rated - on his day he is world class but, lets be honest, in the time he has been here he has been distinctly average as many times as he has been standout. Decent player, prefer to keep him but if anybody offers above £20M then we should rip their arm off fast.

We should be laughing if we end up getting around £30m for Milner, he's really not THAT good, £30m would be obscene for Milner after just half a good season.

If MON makes even just fairly good signings with that money, we should be a better side next season. We lost 2 of our best players in Barry and Laursen and we managed fine without them.

Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini has welcomed the news Aston Villa are prepared to sell James Milner.

England ace Milner has been one of City's top targets this summer and Villa have already rejected a £20million bid for the midfielder.

Villa were keen to keep hold of Milner, but Martin O'Neill revealed earlier on Thursday the club were willing to sell the former Leeds man for the right price after he indicated he wanted to leave Villa Park.

Mancini, who is away in America with City on their pre-season tour, is a big admirer of Milner and is hopeful of striking a deal for the 24-year-old.

"Milner is a good player, but today he is an Aston Villa player," Mancini told Sky Sports News.

"If we have this chance [to sign Milner] I think we can take him, but we must wait now."

City goalkeeper Shay Given, a former team-mate of Milner's at Newcastle, believes the midfielder is a quality player.

"I worked with James at Newcastle and he is a very, very good player, but we have got some great players already," said Given.

Terrific player

Patrick Vieira has also welcomed City's pursuit of Milner despite the fact his arrival would only add to the competition for a place in Mancini's midfield.

"He [Milner] is a terrific player," said Vieira. "Of course it is not my place to say if he has to come or not but when you look at players we have around it will be good.

"The attraction of City is that the future is fantastic. We have a really competitive team and I think every single player will want to play for City because the future is bright for City."

link

Unbelievable. It has to be the money, it's like a poison to these players. You can't trust any of them to be perfectly honest. The once beautiful game is now **** and it can't be changed now.

**** Barry, **** Milner and **** any other player that thrives on the money.

Milner is well over-rated - on his day he is world class but, lets be honest, in the time he has been here he has been distinctly average as many times as he has been standout. Decent player, prefer to keep him but if anybody offers above £20M then we should rip their arm off fast.

I wouldn't say he was world class on his day.

I'm not going to be a hypocrite because I think he is a good player but the media have completely overrated him the last six months.

Unbelievable. It has to be the money, it's like a poison to these players. You can't trust any of them to be perfectly honest. The once beautiful game is now **** and it can't be changed now.

**** Barry, **** Milner and **** any other player that thrives on the money.

Agreed.

This was always going to happen and if we can get close to £30m for him we've done very well.

The balance of our midfield looked wrong with Milner/Petrov in there so it might also sort that problem out and allow us to strengthen in several areas.

I'd be far more gutted if Ashley Young left.

I agree. The balance wasn't right in the midfield, we need more stability in CM, IMO, rather than a gung-ho Milner and totally fooked Petrov.

With £30m, we can possibly strengthen RB, CM and CF, if needs be.

Young is better than Milner and i'd also rank Dunne as currently more important to the side than Milner.