1. 1. What would you do?

• £30m or more to Citeh
    • £30m or more to Chelsea
    • £30m or more to Man United
    • No sale under any realistic circumstances
    • £30m or more to whoever wants him

O'Neill Throws Milner Under A Bus

Posted by Wallace Poulter 1 hour, 3 minutes ago

Welcome to Manchester City, James Milner. No deal has been agreed, but that's the only reasonable expected outcome after Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill essentially threw Milner under the proverbial bus with a statement on the official Aston Villa website - so no possible claim that the former Celtic boss was misquoted.

It is, frankly, a quite an extraordinary way of doing things. In making the statement that Milner and his representatives have asked to go and said that they will not sign a new contract, O'Neill has created an atmosphere where it will make it impossible for the English international midfielder to stay. It would be fascinating to see City pull any offer off the table and watch the relationship with Milner and O'Neill, because it's completely done.

You only make this sort of comment, as far as I can see, if the intent is to force the issue. Rumours abound, and you know how much credence I give those, but it is said by the Guardian that Villa would like Stephen Ireland as part of the package.

Villa can have the Stephen Ireland of last year. The Stephen Ireland of 2008-09 should cost Villa Milner plus cash. If the Irishman goes and if O'Neill gets the best out of him it will be a stunningly good bit of business by Villa. Couple of ifs in that sentence but O'Neill is a good manager.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Martin O'Neills job is to do what is best for Aston Villa football club not to worry about hurting the feelings of a player that no longer wants to be part of the club.

Reading between the lines it appears Milner intimated in a meeting with the club before the world cup that he wanted out. The club around this time had a bid from Man City which does not meet our valuation. It appears that since then we have been back in touch with Milner, either directly or via his agent to again see if James would like to discuss a new contract seeing as Man City have still not met our valuation. James as refused to discuss a new deal and again stated a desire to leave. Therefore Mon has gone public in the hope that it will help push through a deal and to make it known that the player is adament he wants out despite the club wanting to offer him a new contract.

The club could not allow this to drag on especially as the player is due back for pre season training on Monday and Mancinni is doing interviews stating he is interested in Milner. This is our way I'd guess of saying to Man City publically you know the valuation now lets get the deal done and to James you've made your bed and we're letting everyone know so as not to show the club in a bad light.

I think it's fairly obvious that we are pushing him out because we need the funds to rebuild the squad. The manager has come out today because the deal hasn't progressed and I think he wants to get on with signing a few people.

It's a shame really, but that's the Premiership. Money's all that counts.

I think it's fairly obvious that we are pushing him out because we need the funds to rebuild the squad. The manager has come out today because the deal hasn't progressed and I think he wants to get on with signing a few people.

Precisely what I was thinking and in the process make Milner look like the Villan "if you'll pardon the pun" in any case I'd prefer Ireland to Milner any day of the week so I just hope it's part of any perspective deal.........and Micah Richards, what the hell.

As I suspected at 2pm today, it is more a case of MON wanting Milner to leave than Milner fighting for a move.

Martin is not daft, he knows exactly what he is doing. What happened to the positive talks they held before the world cup? I don't think that was a lie. Just think MON's policy has changed. He wants the money and Stephen Ireland imo. He feels this will make AVFC stronger. He wants James to go because he feels he can make us stronger with the money.

Martin isn't one to play his ace card in the public eye. He's up to something. I for one trust him.

This is how it struck me, he wouldnt have purposely created the headlines if this wasnt the case imo.

Papers tomorrow are stating Man City are saying 24 million, final offer, take it or leave it..

£24m & Ireland it is then! :winkold:

It's such a shame that Ireland is such a nutjob, otherwise I'd bite citeh's hands off at that!

Will be gutted if Milner goes though, really think he'll turn into a top class CM in the next couple of seasons, probably the most likely English replacement for Gerrard/Lampard.

Nah we need someone with a bit of character and flair.

Sounds to me like MON has called time on Jimmy Milner's game-playing over his future, which, let's face it, he has been indulging in since before the world cup - refusing to commit publicly to Villa, saying he doesn't know where he'll play his football next season etc.

If Milner is upset about that, it's not too late for him to commit to Villa & sign a new contract and I hope he is challenged by the club to do that.

I'm surprised by some of the comments, suggesting that Villa is pushing Milner out!

Milner has had his head turned like Barry, but wants to eat his cake as well. Man City are playing silly buggers like they did with everton last year, and O'Neill isn't going to play their game. By announcing to everyone that Milner is for sale, it places pressure on Man City as other clubs could come in for him.

I think if Man City drag this out to much longer, United or Chelsea might offer $20m and O'Neill would accept, just to spite City.

O'Neill has done the right thing, either complete the deal or go away, as I'm sure there are a couple of other clubs in the wings.

Exactly. MON has decided to put an end to this nonsense once and for all. Milner would happily allow this to drag out I bet, in order to get the best financial package from City. MON is having none of it and wants us to get the money, hopefully plus a player and move on to our targets.

Well if he's that angry and reckons O'Neil's lying, all he has to do is come out and make a public statement rather than use his bellend of an agent to prove it.

Simples.

And lets face it these agents are a bunch of parasites that would be filling their clients with nonsense just so they can get a nice juicy cheque either way, that's what these leaches are all about.

I'm surprised by some of the comments, suggesting that Villa is pushing Milner out!

Milner has had his head turned like Barry, but wants to eat his cake as well. Man City are playing silly buggers like they did with everton last year, and O'Neill isn't going to play their game. By announcing to everyone that Milner is for sale, it places pressure on Man City as other clubs could come in for him.

I think if Man City drag this out to much longer, United or Chelsea might offer $20m and O'Neill would accept, just to spite City.

O'Neill has done the right thing, either complete the deal or go away, as I'm sure there are a couple of other clubs in the wings.

Well thats pure speculation on your own part.

United wont be offering anything for Milner (theyve spent any budget they have) and very much doubt Chelsea will want or need him either.

Do'nt even know why Man City would need him tbh given their own odds and sods in midfield already - but theyre the only club to have shown any interest

Gabbys Twitter says "Lookin forward to crackin on finally".

I have the feeling that this whole saga has been dragging the squad down and MON has finally put it to end with his statement. Fair play.