What would you do?  

468 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• £30m or more to Citeh
    • £30m or more to Chelsea
    • £30m or more to Man United
    • No sale under any realistic circumstances
    • £30m or more to whoever wants him

Maybe you should read the papers over the past 12 months, both Man Utd and Chelsea have been reported as showing interest in Milner.

The only thing keeping other clubs at bay was that there was no official statement that Milner wanted to leave Villa. It's obvious that City asked Milner and his agent to keep it quiet to save them some money, but also that some clubs although interested weren't prepared to bid the same as City.

O'Neill has identified that City are playing games, and don't think for one second that Milner wouldn't change his mind and go to another club, especially United if they were interested. Man City don't have Champions League, and there's no guarantee they will get it this season either, I know who I'd rather go to.

O'Neill knows this, and he's putting it on City to make the deal, or go away!

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If true this latest report would back up the theory of events i posted earlier. I can't understand why so many people are so blind to the idea that the club, or Randy at least, WANT to sell James Milner and approached him with exactly that proposition and he agreed to it in principle.

If you listen to, or read, the recent interview with MON, it doesn't say anything that is inconsistent with that. His words do however seem carefully chosen so that they are interpreted as Milner trying to force an exit.

He mentions that Milner intimated he wanted to go to Man City, but doesn't mention whether or not we asked him if he wanted to go first and whether the club even encouraged the idea as it would be good "sell to buy" business for the club.

He says that he "thinks" Milner's agent said he would not sign a new contract, meaning that he's not sure if this is actually the case. MON isn't usually so ambiguous about these things unless there's good reason to be.

He then goes on to say that unfortunately there is a sell to buy policy and we are looking to buy to strengthen.

It should be perfectly obvious that this transfer has been on the cards since the end of the season and was probably the cause of the rumoured spat between MON and Randy at that time. It would have been known since then that a sell to buy policy meant we would have to sell a big player at the club and that player would probably have to be Milner. We knew Man City had a firm interest in him and so he would be our best chance of generating the most money, money needed to strengthen the team. After all, I doubt we are going to get much for any of the other players we are trying to sell.

The fact that MON has now come out, stiched him up and pretty much kicked him on to the doorstep and shouted at Man City to come and get him, seems to me that we want this deal done and were going to make sure it happens. Preferably sooner rather than later so we can get on with bringing players in.

There's even a good case to argue that Milner wasn't even sure whether he wanted to go or not, but has been pushed anyway. Many of the players in recent interviews gave the impression that he was still considering whether or not to go and weighing up his options. This doesn't tally with the idea that his mind was made up at the end of last season as MON implied. Unless of course all of those players were lieing. MON hasn't spoken to Milner since the end of last season, strange in its self. So i'm sure the players, some of whom are his mates, would know better.

It's also strange that considering the situation MON has had no contact whatsoever with Milner since the end of the season. This is the MON that loves to get involved in transfers. Seems almost as though he has or wants nothing to do with this deal and it's being carried out begrudgingly without him by the club.

Believe me, there's much more to this than meets the eye if you care to look.

Mirror

Manchester City will make a final £24million take-it-or-leave it offer for Aston Villa midfielder James Milner.

City have upped their original offer of £20m but have warned Villa - who have put a £30m valuation on the England World Cup star - that they are not prepared to go any higher.

Milner is said to be furious with Martin O'Neill after the Villa boss yesterday went public on the player's situation and claimed he wanted to quit the club to move to Eastlands.

The 24-year-old was left in limbo after Villa rejected City's original bid of £20m but Milner could yet secure a move if, as expected, a compromise on the price is reached between the two clubs.

But if Villa stick to their guns and reject City's final offer, Milner fears he could be forced to stay at Villa and cop flak from their fans - just like Gareth Barry when his proposed move to Liverpool collapsed.

O'Neill said: "James and his agent came to see us before the World Cup and intimated that they would like to go.

"Manchester City have put a valuation on the player. It doesn't match our particular valuation but we will see, that may well be resolved.

"City have put themselves into a different stratosphere at the moment and a lot of players want to be part of that."

Milner, capped 11 times, is due back at Villa on Monday after an extended break following international duty with England in South Africa. He is refusing to discuss a new contract while ambitious City remain in the hunt for him.

But Milner insists he has never demanded to be sold or requested to leave in an end of season meeting with O'Neill and club officials. Milner, who has two years left on a £45,000-a-week deal, believes O'Neill's comments are designed to flush out an improved bid from City.

Villa have to sell in order to buy this summer and need cash to make signings of their own, like Robbie Keane and Aiden McGeady. Meanwhile, Villa are ready to accept a cut-price offer for Luke Young after the defender declined to go to their Irish training camp.

O'Neill and his first team squad are in Ireland training ahead of tomorrow's friendly against Bohemians. But right-back Young, 31, has opted to stay in the UK as he is desperate to quit with Fulham are favourites for his signature.

O'Neill and his first team squad are in Ireland training ahead of tomorrow's friendly against Bohemians. But right-back Young, 31, has opted to stay in the UK as he is desperate to quit with Fulham are favourites for his signature.

Or as someone elsewhere succinctly put it "Shove your tour of Ireland up your arse."

Ugh the Daily Mail (or Heil) have changed the article - I don't know what to make of it anymore, its a complete mindf**k, I think this has been dragging the whole team down too.

Milner thinks O'Neill tried to force him out of of the club, if he's angry, did he even plan on going? Urgent talks soon apparently.

All the supposed Milner comments about "Milner thinks" "Milner is" are not quotes and just speculative bull from the press and not verifiable.

Milner has been a true pro up to now and if he says he wants to leave thats his prerogative bt I am sure from how the Villa Newcastle deal went when he was called back at the last minute showed that even in the worse case scenario that Milner would be a pro about it. The Barry situation was slightly different and don't think that if Milner stayed the fans would give him grief.

Gabbys Twitter says "Lookin forward to crackin on finally".

I have the feeling that this whole saga has been dragging the squad down and MON has finally put it to end with his statement. Fair play.

... or just that it has been a long summer for Gabby having to watch the WC rather than participate and he can now get back to proving Capello wrong.

Just a thought.

SSN now saying Milner's been hung out to dry and there's no way back for him now. I dunno where this "£24m or nothing" comment from Citeh has come from but it's now in the papers. Sounds like it's an all cash deal, so all these rumours of Ireland might not be going anywhere unless of course we faff around trying to put a value on their players and we get into another war over the value in a part-cash part-player deal.

Look Milner is trying to save face here, he came across as a model pro, a person who loves his football and now trying to say he's being forced out! All this crap about Randy wanting to sell it's bollocks!

Agreed. Milner & his agent obviously don;t want it known that he wants to leave, there is more than likely loyalty bonus's at stake.

Milner is not leaving for footballing reasons, in years to come I honestly think he'll look back on last season as the highlight of his career.

SSN now saying Milner's been hung out to dry and there's no way back for him now. I dunno where this "£24m or nothing" comment from Citeh has come from but it's now in the papers. Sounds like it's an all cash deal, so all these rumours of Ireland might not be going anywhere unless of course we faff around trying to put a value on their players and we get into another war over the value in a part-cash part-player deal.

No need for a war over it. £24m plus Ireland would meet our valuation of £30m....

I have absolutely ZERO sympathy for Milly in any of this.

MON was entitled to do what he did, if that is the true and accurate version of events, which i believe it to be.

It is quite clear he wants to go, and MON has just confirmed that. Nothing more. At least the fans know the situation now, however much Milly didn't want us to

I have absolutely ZERO sympathy for Milly in any of this.

MON was entitled to do what he did, if that is the true and accurate version of events, which i believe it to be.

It is quite clear he wants to go, and MON has just confirmed that. Nothing more. At least the fans know the situation now, however much Milly didn't want us to

Exactly, it is what MM hinted at a few weeks back. Milner is now trying to cover himself in my opinion.

I'd like to add that we owe no favours to Man City, especially after they mucked us about with the Richard Dunne transfer last summer.

I think it's fairly obvious that we are pushing him out because we need the funds to rebuild the squad. The manager has come out today because the deal hasn't progressed and I think he wants to get on with signing a few people.

It's a shame really, but that's the Premiership. Money's all that counts.

This is how it struck me, he wouldnt have purposely created the headlines if this wasnt the case imo.

Maybe, but it doesn't really rhyme with what Randy said on that PC earlier this summer, does it? Something along "There is money, need to get the dead wood out (not even close to his exact words), and we'll do everything we can to keep Milner at Villa."

I know, that can be bent in all kind of ways, but in general I don't believe we need to sell Milner to get some money to buy new players, but there can be a situation now that craves more money than we've got and selling Milner will give those money and we'll be better off after those affairs.

Basically I just think that Milner wants a bigger adventure, grass is greener and all that, and MON doesn't want an unhappy player in his side.

Well to me it seems that after Mancini's comment in the morning that they still wanted Milner MON has throught ball's to it he can go ,very similar to with Barry when he came out and said ok Liverpool he can go where's the cash.

One player who up until this point has never caused any trouble or shown any signs of causing trouble.

One manager who has a track record of falling out with players and just ignoring them, making it seem not his fault.

There is certainly more to this, its not so clear cut.

Milner says he wants to leave to MON, thats it in MON's eyes he couldn't possibly have changed his mind and wanted to talk to MON about it, perhaps deciding he would be on the bench all the time during the World Cup.

His only contact is with our chief exec, what if he wanted to talk again to MON about the playing side?

Nope thats it, your not talking to me you've burnt your bridges.

All theoretical i know, but going by our managers past experience of being stubborn could be true.

One player who up until this point has never caused any trouble or shown any signs of causing trouble.

One manager who has a track record of falling out with players and just ignoring them, making it seem not his fault.

There is certainly more to this, its not so clear cut.

Milner says he wants to leave to MON, thats it in MON's eyes he couldn't possibly have changed his mind and wanted to talk to MON about it, perhaps deciding he would be on the bench all the time during the World Cup.

His only contact is with our chief exec, what if he wanted to talk again to MON about the playing side?

Nope thats it, your not talking to me you've burnt your bridges.

All theoretical i know, but going by our managers past experience of being stubborn could be true.

Why does it have to be MON who has done the dirty?

From what i can gather, James Milner is now pissed off as he didnt want us fans thinking that he requested a move, MON thought **** him (and rightly so) im going to make it public and play it straight down the line saying basically ''James has asked to leave, if Man City can meet our valuation he can go''.

Milner is pissed off by all accounts because he didnt want it played out that he had requested a move.

Well done MON :clap: