• £30m or more to Chelsea
    • £30m or more to Man United
    • No sale under any realistic circumstances
    • £30m or more to whoever wants him

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would accept a bid of around £24m for Milner.

Don't get me wrong, I think he is a fantastic player for us, but some of the posters on here make him out to be World Player of the Year!!! I wouldn't say for one minute that he is the easily the best player at the club like some are making out.

If United came in with an offer of say £8m plus Carrick, I would be happy with that as I think he would offer us that creativity through the middle of the park that we currently lack.

Have you ever seen Michael Carrick play?

Yes thanks, oh right he's good enough for United but not for the Villa?

This time last year, everyone was turning their nose up at the prospect of Richard Dunne joining the club. Who feels that way now?

Don't get me wrong, I think he is a fantastic player for us, but some of the posters on here make him out to be World Player of the Year!!! I wouldn't say for one minute that he is the easily the best player at the club like some are making out.

If United came in with an offer of say £8m plus Carrick, I would be happy with that as I think he would offer us that creativity through the middle of the park that we currently lack.

You think Carrick is worth £16 million then?

If Milner is worth £24m, Carrick is worth £16m without doubt.

Hate to say it but Milner won't improve under us as much as he would with United.

I don't think this is true. What exactly are you basing that on? Do they have better technical and/or tactical coaches at United? Do they have better training programmes? Do they have superior training facilities? Is SAF better than MON at getting the most out of a young English player?

Sure United have a slightly better overall squad than we do and they challenge for honors every year. But to suggest he would improve more there is by no means certain. It is common knowledge that players get better by playing regulary. If it was a case of playing for United versus playing for example for Hull, I'd agree he would probably be better off at United.

But since the difference between our and Uniteds squad isn't that great, I reckon Milner will be fine here and improve just as much as he would at any top club. Besides here he doesn't have to think about being a victim of squad rotation and things like that, although there really isn't any way of knowing for certain what that would do to him. Playing with experienced players like Giggs and Scholes can hardly do an already accomplished player any harm but it isn't either by no means a given that he'll greatly benefit from this. And we too are most likely able to offer him European football next season so even though the CL is tougher and better than the Europa League, the difference is negligible.

Training with great players like Rooney, Scholes and Giggs week in week out is something he currently does not have. Who in our squad is as good as either of those 3 in terms of experience, vision, passing?

No one. Playing against the likes of Barca and Inter-Milan in the Champions League surrounded by teammates like Rooney and Giggs, this is far more difficult and challenging than playing against some Icelandic team with super static Villa.

If you think that Milner would be able to make the kinds of runs, passes and dribbles that he would with Rooney flitting in and out and around the box, with our current bunch of footballers, you are clearly deluded.

Playing with Rooney/Giggs/Scholes will allow Milner to explore other facets of his game that he wouldn't experience here. Even if you factor in rotation, with Champions League and the Cups, Milner could still get over access of 30 games, and I would argue that 30 games a season with Rooney/Giggs/Scholes is still better than playing every single game for Villa a season.

If you honestly think that Milner would not improve more under United than he would under us, you clearly view our club too highly.

If Milner wants to leave, and people are prepared to pay (and I worry it might open the floodgates of departures) and we as a club capitulate to it - where will that leave us?

Back to square one?

Or would we still be on the upwards?

Sooner or later, we have to stop being a selling club if we want that success.

Hopefully, Jim will see sense and decide to play week in and week out rather than warming the bench at some 'grand club.'

I'm of the view that any player from any club, excluding Chelsea, would be far better off at Man Utd than at their current clubs, even if they only got very small amounts of gametime. As mentioned by Alpay, just to be there for training would be highly beneficial to them.

If Milner were to go to Utd, I would be 100% thrilled for him. It'd be a huge opportunity for him. I just hope that MoN would get enough money to buy a replacement, plus a crap load more in fees for the privilege of being able to buy him.

Don't think he's going though to be fair. I don't think we're going to lose any of our important players this summer, but we will gain a couple more.

Don't think he's going though to be fair. I don't think we're going to lose any of our important players this summer, but we will gain a couple more.

Dunno, I think we might lose Ashley tbh

I don't TBH, Carrick is not a game winner.

United fans don't really rate him and nor do I. Doesn't do enough, defensively not great. Doesn't score or create much. Abit of a luxury player. £8 Million and Carrick for Milner would be a complete backwards step.

Give us Ireland and bellamy and ill drive him up to Manchester.

No thanks.

Those guys can go around bossing teams with their cash all they want but I wouldn't sell Milner for nothing. He is indispensable for us and losing him would be like Barcelona losing Messi or Liverpool losing Gerrard/Torres. A complete step in the wrong direction.

Have you ever seen Michael Carrick play?

Yes thanks, oh right he's good enough for United but not for the Villa?

This time last year, everyone was turning their nose up at the prospect of Richard Dunne joining the club. Who feels that way now?

Im sorry mate but Carrick is awful. He reminds me a bit of a rich mans Steve Sidwell. If Milner went and Carrick came i think i would cry lots. Would add absolutely nothing to our team.

Milner will stay. He is a man of morals and loyalty, with no agent agitating for his payout. We will give him a big payrise and a 4 year contract, he will further cement his standing as the rock of our side.

This is if MON stays - which he will if we beat Blues at the weekend, and give Citeh a run for their money. A lot is riding on the next couple of games!

As for people saying Carrick this, Ireland that - you're missing something which is ablsuoltely key. Both decent players, yes, but what Jimmy has is the attitude and commitment only matched by the likes of Rooney and Gerrard. You can't teach that, or buy it for less that £25million.