News story of the day

BOF

The BBC had the perfect journalist for this story

IMG-9080.jpg

A school bus with pupils on board on their way to take exams became stuck under a bridge in the same spot where it happened last year.

The bus was taking pupils to Ashby School in Leicestershire when it hit the railway bridge on Thursday.

One parent said her son was "launched forward and hit his collar bone", and others said it had been stressful for pupils due to take their GCSEs.

The bus company, Roberts Travel, told the BBC it did not want to comment.

link

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

This Bournemouth Beach thing is really odd.

8 injured and 2 dead.  The Police state a boat was not hitting people in the water and are being very cagey about what actually occurred and yet almost immediately arrested a man on suspicion of manslaughter.

Right now they seem to be reacting to press speculation with "no not that", "no not that"

All a bit weird, how can they arrest a man for manslaughter when they are saying they still don't know what happened.

The remaining 8 people were not too badly injured so they must have pretty quick witness statements.

My first thought was a banana boat accident, don't know if they have them on Bournemouth  beach though

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

8 injured and 2 dead.  The Police state a boat was not hitting people in the water and are being very cagey about what actually occurred and yet almost immediately arrested a man on suspicion of manslaughter.

Right now they seem to be reacting to press speculation with "no not that", "no not that"

All a bit weird, how can they arrest a man for manslaughter when they are saying they still don't know what happened.

The remaining 8 people were not too badly injured so they must have pretty quick witness statements.

My first thought was a banana boat accident, don't know if they have them on Bournemouth  beach though

I am no expert but if it happened near where the helicopter landed, that particular area is very pppular with surfers. They surf close to the pier. Not saying that had anything to do with it but I have spent time on the pier watching the surfers. 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yeah it does seem a bit weird, the cloak and dagger nature of it. Police are saying they are trying to quell rumours and speculation, but it's just doing the opposite. 

• Like 1

So they weren't hit by a boat but a sightseeing boat is impounded and being examined. 

I think that Nicola Bulley case has made The Police paranoid about speaking to the press now. 

I suppose they may have been on the boat which then struck the pier or something. 

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

So they weren't hit by a boat but a sightseeing boat is impounded and being examined. 

I think that Nicola Bulley case has made The Police paranoid about speaking to the press now. 

I suppose they may have been on the boat which then struck the pier or something. 

There was someone on the news the other day talking about how there are buoys showing where boats can and can’t be. Putting 2 and 2 together I am assuming the boat was somewhere it shouldn’t have been and somehow caused a bunch of swimmers to get into trouble.

If the boat was spotted in such an area it would explain why the police could charge the captain so quickly.

On 01/06/2023 at 17:47, sidcow said:

even in the local FB groups there's no one really talking about it. it is rather odd. i think they'll end up regretting the statement that said "they weren't hit by a vessel" when it clearly is the logical explanation

3 hours ago, tomav84 said:

even in the local FB groups there's no one really talking about it. it is rather odd. i think they'll end up regretting the statement that said "they weren't hit by a vessel" when it clearly is the logical explanation

Sounds like it was the waves caused by the pleasure boat that caused the problems. 

• Like 1

This is pretty incredible 

Four children have been found alive after surviving a plane crash and spending weeks fending for themselves in Colombia's Amazon jungle.

Colombia's president said the rescue of the siblings, aged 13, nine, four and one, was "a joy for the whole country".

The children's mother and two pilots were killed when their light aircraft crashed in the jungle on 1 May.

BBC

• Like 2

Al Pacino welcomes fourth child at 83, with girlfriend Noor Alfallah

Al Pacino has welcomed his fourth child at the age of 83.

The Godfather star's partner Noor Alfallah, 29, gave birth to their son Roman, it was announced on Thursday.

Pacino's publicist Stan Rosenfield confirmed the news to the PA news agency, adding no further details.

The Hollywood veteran also has twins, Anton and Olivia, 22, with actress Beverly D'Angelo; and a 33-year-old daughter, Julie Marie, with acting coach Jan Tarrant. 

The New Yorker, considered by many to be one of the finest actors of his generation, won the best actor Oscar for his role in the 1992 film Scent of a Woman and has also been nominated many times over.

His partner Alfallah works in the film industry and has produced movies such as the upcoming Pacino-starring Billy Knight, Little Death and Brosa Nostra.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

link

What the hell is wrong with America?

How was Bud Light the best selling beer???

They don't like flavour. They actually took a lager with no flavour and made it lighter, and it sells. I guess palates are different all around the world for all sorts of things.

15 minutes ago, BOF said:

They don't like flavour. They actually took a lager with no flavour and made it lighter, and it sells. I guess palates are different all around the world for all sorts of things.

US Bud tasted like watery piss in the first place, watering it down was an improvement

11 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Its like their cigarettes,I have only tried Lucky strike,Chesterfield ,and another one,and they are all the same.

Isn't that like all ciggies? 

17 minutes ago, Xela said:

Isn't that like all ciggies? 

No, cigarettes have varying flavours. Its been 21 years since I gave up, but even now I can tell the difference between some brands based on smell. The american brands though were not the best of tastes, Lucky Strike, Marlboro, they had a flavour that wasnt great to my taste. Benson and Hedges, to me were the pinnacle of british cigarettes, as a younger smoker I liked Royals, initially as there was 25 in a pack, then that reduced to 24, and then they introduced a 20 pack. By the end and based purely on cost I was on Mayfair. All of these had a distinctive taste.

I had a project down that London way, close to Brooklands. It turned out it was in a building being vacated by one of the big tobacco companies. I was amazed that they still had advertising divisions and sponsorship teams and were even making little toys and promo gifts and the like to promote various brands.

Don’t suppose I’d really thought of it before but it turned out quite a few ‘emerging markets’ weren’t quite as worried about tobacco advertising and their HQ was still in the UK, so I stumbled across people making toys to promote and encourage smoking.

It was a bit weird. I did wonder if there was ever any self doubt in the people that were sat there designing little plastic nodding camels or whether they got a sense of job satisfaction from creating a range of peace pipe smoking red indian action figures.

Â