News story of the day

BOF

On 06/07/2022 at 18:05, Brumerican said:

That is not a good sign . 

A joint public statement like that has never been done like this before IIRC .   I didn't even know who ran MI5 until I saw that.

China's party leaders are very deeply committed to the idea that liberal democracy is a social pathology. 

43 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Sorry, are we saying Elon Musk is an actual real person?

I’d sort of presumed he was DC’s Poundland Stark.

Well he exists in human form. I just assume he's currently trying to surreptitiously help us develop our technology to a level where he'll be able to get back to his home world.

• Like 2

@Rugeley Villa?

A retired vicar has been put on the sex offenders’ register after he was caught getting intimate with a Henry Hoover.

John Jeffs, 74, was wearing just a pair of ladies stockings and the vacuum’s nozzle, which he was thrusting into, when he was caught by a churchgoer who was attending a talk about Asperger’s syndrome.

They described how he was ‘standing between two dark chairs, thrusting into a Henry Hoover’ at the Baptist Centre in Middleton Cheney, Northamptonshire.

They said that even though he saw them, Jeffs continued pushing his groin towards the Henry – famous for its relentless and powerful suction.

https://metro.co.uk/2022/07/14/vicar-caught-in-flagrante-with-henry-the-hoover-carried-on-after-being-seen-17000920/

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Goodyear? No, it was a terrible year...

Driver ‘seriously injured’ after being run over three times by own car

A woman in Switzerland was seriously injured after she got out of her car with the engine still on only for it to run her over three times, police said on Friday.

The 45-year-old had stepped out of her car in a residential area in St Gallen in northeastern Switzerland, probably in order to get something out of the boot, regional police said, according to the Swiss news agency ATS.

But then the car, which was on a slight slope, began rolling backwards.

The woman had attempted in vain to stop the vehicle, before falling to the ground and was run over a first time.

The car had then rammed into another vehicle and rebounded back in the opposite direction, running over the woman a second time, police said.

But the car then hit a sidewalk, sending it back towards the woman and running her over a third time

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/nov/04/driver-seriously-injured-after-being-run-over-three-times-by-own-car

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sne said:

I have read this story multiple times now and I still can't work out how it happened. It just makes zero sense.

• Like 1

Just now, Lichfield Dean said:

I have read this story multiple times now and I still can't work out how it happened. It just makes zero sense.

Same here. I know there are a lot of hills and valleys in Switzerland but not like that.

33 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

This sounds very similar to the story of the brewery worker who drowned in a vat of beer.He had to get out 3 times to have a piss.

Was it American beer? If so why bother 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Maybe she was related to Brian Harvey.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Genie said:

They probably save a fortune on signs and branding in the gift shop.

Reminds me of when I was working at Bradford Uni. There was a mooted merger with the local Bradford (F.E.) College, and they wanted to come up with a name for the combined institution. So they paid a hefty sum to a consultancy firm to come up with one. Said consultants immediately copped out by kicking it back to the staff to choose a name. The final list to choose from was (wait for it): 

"University of Bradford" 

"The University of Bradford" 

and (drum roll...) 

"Bradford University" 

At which point they took the money and ran. 

The punchline was that it turned out that - due to some technicality about universities having to a have a royal charter - the merger never happened. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Reminds me of when I was working at Bradford Uni. There was a mooted merger with the local Bradford (F.E.) College, and they wanted to come up with a name for the combined institution. So they paid a hefty sum to a consultancy firm to come up with one. Said consultants immediately copped out by kicking it back to the staff to choose a name. The final list to choose from was (wait for it): 

"University of Bradford" 

"The University of Bradford" 

and (drum roll...) 

"Bradford University" 

At which point they took the money and ran. 

The punchline was that it turned out that - due to some technicality about universities having to a have a royal charter - the merger never happened. 

Also it doesn't actually matter. I went to the University of Wolverhampton, and everyone who went there (myself included) called it Wolverhampton University. 

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

Also it doesn't actually matter. I went to the University of Wolverhampton, and everyone who went there (myself included) called it Wolverhampton University. 

Same with most universities. 

• Like 1

Â