News story of the day

BOF

Great. The city already looks like a third world slum in some areas, now there will be more services cut. Cost will fall on us mugs again.

'Huge council tax rise likely for Birmingham residents' - commissioner sounds alarm on council failure

The lead commissioner sent in to help run troubled Birmingham City Council has warned that residents are likely to pay the price for failure through a huge council tax hike and cuts in services. In his first interview since his appointment, Max Caller accused the council leadership of being too focussed on 'nice to haves' instead of getting the basics right for its 1.1 million citizens.

Other struggling councils that have faced intervention by commissioners had hiked council taxes by as much as 15% in a portent of what was likely to happen in Birmingham in April, he warned. Raising local taxes was one of the limited options available to the council, he said.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/huge-council-tax-rise-likely-27848885

8 minutes ago, Xela said:

Great. The city already looks like a third world slum in some areas, now there will be more services cut. Cost will fall on us mugs again.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/huge-council-tax-rise-likely-27848885

It is no wonder that BCC and a number of other councils have pretty much gone bankrupt. Since 2010 local government funding has decreased by 40%. Birmingham have had to try to make cuts of nearly 1 billion pound since 2010. 

You add in to that mix historical equal pay claims, which happened at BCC, under administrations led by parties of all colour ties, and again not limited to just Birmingham,  then it is little wonder that numerous councils are on their knees. 

In 2010 two thirds of councils income came from the government with the rest coming from council tax and business rates. That has now flipped and only a third now comes from the government. As the government have inflicted much of the pain then they should bail them out, or better still simply see it as giving back some of the money they took away. These bastards won't.

5 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Just been reading up on this Holly Willoughby murder/kidnap arrest. How bloody bizarre is this

It's not only bizarre, it's bloody scary.  Jill Dando springs to mind as well :unsure:.

Just now, trekka said:

It's not only bizarre, it's bloody scary.  Jill Dando springs to mind as well :unsure:.

Have you seen the Dando documentary on Netflix?

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Have you seen the Dando documentary on Netflix?

Not yet but I suppose I should.  I've heard people like Nick Ross refused to appear in it though (I could be wrong on that point). 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, bickster said:

It was recaptured.

Nice.

Edit: Well, nice enough I guess since it will be going back to living in captivity.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

Heard the guy invloved in the death of that ice hockey player Adam Johnson, has been arrested for manslaghter, but bailed pending futher enquires. It was stated, there has been a extensive investigation which led to his arrest.

Crazy stuff, if it ends up he did it puposely!

13 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Heard the guy invloved in the death of that ice hockey player Adam Johnson, has been arrested for manslaghter, but bailed pending futher enquires. It was stated, there has been a extensive investigation which led to his arrest.

Crazy stuff, if it ends up he did it puposely!

I don’t think manslaughter and doing it purposely are necessarily the same thing.

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

I don’t think manslaughter and doing it purposely are necessarily the same thing.

Purposely ment to injure him, not meaning to kill him.

Just to note I'm not 100% it's the guy involved who's been arrested, as it's not been stated, but cannot think it would be anyone else, unless it's a health and safety issue.

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Purposely ment to injure him, not meaning to kill him.

Just to note I'm not 100% it's the guy involved who's been arrested, as it's not been stated, but cannot think it would be anyone else, unless it's a health and safety issue.

I’m not an expert but I think he could be found guilty of involuntary manslaughter even if it’s agreed he didn’t intend to injure the other party. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

I’m not an expert but I think he could be found guilty of involuntary manslaughter even if it’s agreed he didn’t intend to injure the other party. 

I'm not 100% sure, but I would have thought there would have to be some sort of intent. Accidents happen in a dangerous sports.

Â