• Petrov
    • Milner
    • Ashley Young
    • Downing
    • Delph
    • Agbonlahor
    • Sub: Carew
    • Sub: Sidwell

And how bad was the ref? As the commentators said, he didnt even look bothered to do his job in the second half. There were some clear yellow cards (Cuellars wrestling move on Rafael, Young poor challenge on Valencia and Rooney poor challenge on Gabby) Not to mention how Brown escaped a yellow card and why Carew wasnt awarded a penalty when Evans clearly held onto his arm with both his hands!
Not giving a penalty for that "tackle" (more like wrestle) on Carew was such a stupid decision.

Unfortunately he couldn't give a penalty as he was already running away and didn't watch the incident.

I think that it was a penalty, but whether it was or not, I am disappointed that the referee was not in a position to witness the incident and make a decision either way. A poor refereeing performance in my opinion.

People are being too harsh on Carew for tonight's effort. I though he threw himself into plenty.

The problem was that we couldn't actually get the ball into the final third of the pitch. So many simple passes went astray or failed to carry - Milner Downing and Young the main culprits - and I thought Evra was pretty much unpassable, while Fletcher and Carrick were very good at breaking us up through the middle.

And I don't think for a second that Martin was settling for a draw - to me taking off Delph for Carew was an attacking move - Utd weren't really bothering us but we weren't bothering them, so maybe he thought Carew might put a bit of pressure on their defence. But unfortunately our ineptness in midfield let us down.

I thought Carew and Sidwell were the only saving grace, because god knows who would have got blamed for that performance, had they of not come on.

Forget Carew and Sidwell.The problem was there way before they come on the scene.

There were some very poor performances out there tonight from some very protected species.

Delph was always going to be the one to make way for Carew, I really don't understand why anyone would think any different. Don't forget you whingers are all enjoying the benefit of hindsight, making a positive change to bring Carew on didn't work on this occasion, no doubt if MON hadn't done it and it remained 1-1 people would have been moaning that it should have been done.

We've beaten Man Utd somewhat fortuitously 0-1 at their place and drawn 1-1 at home in a game where you'd think the odds were stacked in our favour on the night. We move on, Palace on Sunday and then Burnley next week, if things haven't gone well in those two games (certainly Burnley) then there are questions to answer.

I thought Milner to be fair had one of his poorer games but I also thought he found some decent spaces and weren't found enough times to really have an influence. It's very much like Gerrard for Liverpool in terms of he hasn't been as effective because without Alonso, he doesn't get spotted enough times.

We're still over cautious with our passing and think playing sideways is in somewhat progressive or creative, we need to take more risks in our passing.

People are being too harsh on Carew for tonight's effort. I though he threw himself into plenty.

Villa fans have always had to have a scapegoat, and I'm talking from 35 years of experience at B6!

First 20 mins proved 4-5-1 is the way to go against better quality teams playing that formation. The more we play it, the more comfortable Delph will get and the further advanced Jimmy will get.

Did Petrov play??

Sidwell seems to have gone from bad to worse.

Why can JC not see that those flicks around the corner do not work against a half decent defence - he ran into a covering defender every time!

Shows our thin our squad is now when we have one injury - NRC - and Salifou gets on to the bench. Poor decision to sell Gardner without a replacement IMO.

Sorry, I think a lot of these negative comments are ridiculous and foolish. If this sentiment gets communicated to any extent from the crowd to the players, it's no wonder they are tense at Villa park and underperform there.

FFS we were playing Manchester United, one of the two best teams in the league, who have been in absolutely blistering form. We got a point and stay well in touch with a top 4 place. We've taken 4 points off them this season and that is an excellent achievement. I was genuinely worried before the match that Rooney would tear us apart single handed but he was kept at bay.

Time for Villa fans to get behind all the team and stop all this thoughtless negativity.

Guest Ricardomeister

After a very good opening 20 minutes it was the same old story of poor passing, not enough invention, predictable play and a lack of winning mentality. Yes, that may sound a little harsh but we are not supposed to be a mid-table team. We are supposed to be Champions League contenders so that is the level that everyone has to be judged at nowadays.

To me, we are a good team but nothing more. In midfield and up front we have some good players but nobody of international quality imo. The talk of some people on here going on about Jimmy being a top class central midfielder has been proved to be ridiculously premature. Jimmy has been a big success this season but has got a long way to go to be top class.

When you consider that our midfield (all bought by MON) cost just shy of £50 million then I expect them to be able to pass the ball and show some creativity.

I still think our main problem (especially the midfield/strikers/MON/Randy) is that we think it would be really nice to win rather than we must win. That is what often separates the winners from the nearly men...the never say die attitude shown by the likes of Wayne Rooney. Rooney has more talent than any of our team but his attitude is that he must win every game and we are lacking in that quality, except for a couple of defenders. Rooney looks gutted when Man Ure draw but we seem quite happy.

On a positive note we are nearer the top 4 than I thought we would be and on paper we have the easiest run in. However, we have slipped up on numerous occasions this season against the lesser teams and I am far from convinced that we have either the goals or real desire to finish in the top 4. That would be a shame and a real missed opportunity in my eyes as whoever finishes 4th is probably going to be the poorest team to finish there for a long time. I have said all along that I think Citeh will finish 4th and I have not seen anything to change my mind. When looking at the contenders, Citeh and the bin dippers seem to me to have that extra desire that they must finish in the top 4, rather than us and Spuds who would just like to finish 4th.

i dont like to be negative most of the time but i was really disappointed with what i saw tonight, heres a few of my thoughts:

1) is Mo'N aware of 'form' - how do downings recent performances warrant a place in the starting lineup??

2) i hope and pray someone takes sidders off our hands in the summer, the guy is absolutely useless

3) delfouneso is probably a better option than big john right now. when was the last time he played well?

4) iv voted for luke young as my motm. thought he was excellent.

It really **** me off how many of you guys think that was pathetic. One of the best teams in the world,and we are unhappy with 4 points from them. Every claret and blue player on the pitch played their absolute **** hearts out and worked soooo hard for each other.

god damn, fickle is right.

I should be pissed we drew cause if we had won I woulda cashed an easy $850. But I'm not, 4 points from them and the way we played in this game lifts my spirits, we have what it takes to be top 4. if you think otherwise go see a doctor.

Go cry in the corner!

If it **** you off dont read it!

To be fair, United's were pretty awesome in the second half and their possession football was outstanding. I think they were playing for the draw as well to be honest.

What's worrying, as others have touched on, is how a midfield consisting of the players it does can be so uncreative. What about trying to play through the middle? Putting it out to Ash at every opportunity is very, very predictable and not yielding fantastic results. I'm also concerned by the fact that Jimmy, once again failed to turn up in a league game, and Downing's frankly woeful form. Fair enough, he's still coming back from a long-term injury but he simply doesn't warrant a place in the side at the moment. How about mixing things up a bit MON?