• Petrov
    • Milner
    • Ashley Young
    • Downing
    • Delph
    • Agbonlahor
    • Sub: Carew
    • Sub: Sidwell

i dont like to be negative most of the time but i was really disappointed with what i saw tonight, heres a few of my thoughts:

1) is Mo'N aware of 'form' - how do downings recent performances warrant a place in the starting lineup??

2) i hope and pray someone takes sidders off our hands in the summer, the guy is absolutely useless

Be interested to see what your preferred lineup would have been then considering our only option to Downing with NRC and Albrighton injured would have been Sidwell in the middle and Milner out wide.

Interesting game tonight. I'm happy with a point, no doubt. Taking 4 points from the Champions in 1 season is no mean feat. Still, given our ability and how we started the match, it's testing to think we could have won it. I reckon we could have.

Better than nothing though.

I'm more disappointed I made a mistake putting my bets putting down Carlos as a wincast (him to score and Villa to win) rather than what I wanted to do which was a straight up goalscorer, cost me £20 that mistake. **** annoying.

Not going to complain (even though I want to) because i would have easily taken a point today before the match, and 4 pts from United at the start of the season.

But god our defense is so much more entertaining to watch than our offense. I get more excitement out of watching Friedel and the back four operate than i do watching us go forward. It even took a defender to get our goal today.

poor peformance, players happy not to lose. wud hav taken the draw befor the game but disappointed we didnt give it more of a go. milner was below par and downing was poor. carew barely touched the ball. thought delph tired a bit but was v good in 1st half defence was solid brad exceptional. brilliant header for the goal from carlos. great results for us elsewher thank god.

I thought we played pretty well for most of the game. It's a good result and I'm pleased with two points from the last two, I think it keeps us in the race.

Utd are a difficult proposition at 4-4-1, it doesn't change their ability to control games much and Rooney can still keep a defence on its toes. That said, we didn't go for the jugular and maybe could have pressed more. I thought Milner dropped deep and went out of the game in the second half, particularly when Petrov went off, in fact after Petrov went off Sidwell was more often than not the more advanced of the two of them.

I never thought I'd live to see such a thing, but Milner looked tired.

Hopefully Stan's injury isn't too bad because Sidwell isn't good enough and with Reo Coker also out it leaves us with a hole in the middle of the park. Delph and Salifou for Palace?

I thought Downing was the best of our three creative midfielders although I also thought Young had the beating of Evra, he just couldn't get on the ball often enough.

Red card looked a definite for me, it doesn't matter if he took the ball or not, once you jump into a player like that nowadays you've got to go. I also thought the penalty looked a good shout.

United's players behaviour was appalling I thought, Fletcher spent around half of his time screaming obscenities into the face of the referee, Wes Orange once again gave another bafflingly unbooked display of the dark arts and when Edwin Van Der Saar felt the need to run forty yards out of his goal in the last minute in an effort to persuade the referee to send off Ashley Young I'm afraid I shouted something about his wife. (I know, I'm sorry.)

Overall, it's a very good point, there were some things for us to learn and I'm a little worried that we tired and are picking up injuries, but on the plus side we were more than a match for one of the best sides in the country and we look very difficult to beat.

We've got some much simpler fixtures ahead and I think we push on from here.

Agree that a point is better than usual against them at Villa, but expectations have been raised higher now. We were outplayed for long periods by 10 men. We seemed to find it difficult to pass the ball at the back and there's no incisive quick passing further upfield. How is it they could move the ball quickly & find players in space in behind us, yet we seem unable to? Is it quality of thought, movement or is this a coaching issue?

Haven't sworn as much at a Villa side during the game in ages. So frustrating!

Lot of people now having a pop at Downing - remember he's had no pre-season & came back earlier than expected from injury. He needs resting now; give Delph a run. Ashley Young always seems to be limping & Petrov is playing thru an injury too - other sides trust their squad but MON doesn't. Why? Players need games, not training & 10 minutes now & again.

OK, now I have read all of the comments. Must of them are over the top in my opinion. Granted I have only seen the game on TV, and that does not give the best perspective, but even so.

My taking of the game is that MON got it spot on with the subs. He explained in the post match comments, why he took off Delph and not Petrov. Swithing to 442 made sense and lets face it, even making the right moves tacticly does not guaranty a win.

Playing against 10 men is not easy, we all know that. It looks like an advantage, but it often makes the reduced team players play even harder and better. Liverpool won against a seriously in form Everton with 10 men, if you need resent proof.

Man U. goal was unfortunate to say the least, and they did not have too many chances after that. Rooney is maybe the best player in the world on current form, he was not allowed to win the game.

There are many positives to take from this game. What I am hopping is that we can get Carew up to speed like last spring, if that happens 4'th is very much a possibility and a cup or two.

Chin up guys, it is great to be unhappy with not beating Man U :-)

i dont like to be negative most of the time but i was really disappointed with what i saw tonight, heres a few of my thoughts:

1) is Mo'N aware of 'form' - how do downings recent performances warrant a place in the starting lineup??

2) i hope and pray someone takes sidders off our hands in the summer, the guy is absolutely useless

Be interested to see what your preferred lineup would have been then considering our only option to Downing with NRC and Albrighton injured would have been Sidwell in the middle and Milner out wide.

i'd quite happily start delph in the middle with milner out wide in a 4-4-2 with delfouneso up top with gabby. its surely not a coincidence that sticking with the same side (minus a couple of enforced injury changes) has played a large role in us scoring about 3 goals in like the last 7 league games

against a side that were there for the taking.

Man U even with 10 men will never be there for the taking. They are too good at keeping the ball and have players like valencia and rooney who can make things happen while the rest of the team sit back.

Man U with 10 don't suddenly turn into pompey.

Thought Delph was our best player yesterday, but I just know the only possible substitution that would be made would be Delph for Carew. Why doesn't he take a look at the action rather than have a set list of the order in which the players need to be on th epitch (ie, if he's been brought in for this game then he is first to get substituted no matter what). I would much rather of seen Downing or god forbid Petrov go off for Carew.

Once Petrov picked up his knock, I would much rather of seen Salifou come on than Sidwell. Not exactly much balance in a central midfield pairing of Milner and Sidwell is there.

Thinking about it when do any one think our next defeat will come? We are undefeated in 2010 - could we go on a run like in 1999?

The next real challenge is the cup final, but even then I fancy our chances there. Man U. has a lot of injuries - could they be looking to spare some players in the final?

Any one know how they lined up against spurs last year?

against a side that were there for the taking.

Man U even with 10 men will never be there for the taking. They are too good at keeping the ball and have players like valencia and rooney who can make things happen while the rest of the team sit back.

Man U with 10 don't suddenly turn into pompey.

True, very true.

I think there was something badly wrong with our ambition and motivation. I think our players were just waiting for the final whistle in the second half, 1-1 was enough for them and the manager. I can’t explain this to myself in any other way, our second half performance was so poor, brainless. We almost couldn’t get over the halfway line.

The first 19 mins was exciting, excellent performance especially against top club but …?

It’s 90 mins, 90 mins, 90 mins, 90 mins, 90 mins, 90 mins, 90 mins, 90 mins, 90 mins, 90 mins, 90 mins, 90 mins, 90 mins, 90 mins, 90 mins, 90 mins, 90 mins, 90 mins, 90 mins, 90 mins, 90 mins, 90 mins, 90 mins, 90 mins,...

Well, this wasn’t the first time this happened. I think MON just decided a draw would be a good result and hence the most disappointing second half since last season.

I'm sure its been mentioned but Lee Dixon said last night that O'Neill was protecting our position in the league. I think this is true and an easier run of games will see us play a more exspansive game.

Downing just not on form and sometimes if you sub a player in a rut it just makes it worse. Having said that delph was brilliant.

MON has set us up for a go at the top 4. Interesting times ahead.

Going to villa park is beginning to not be fun, too many **** moaning rocket polishers around.

Dont go then!

They pay their money and can do what they like, the same way you pay yours to sit on your high horse.

Good result i think, anything other than a loss to Utd is a good point.

We're going to actually have to create something in the final mind..

I'm not talking of running in to big, obvious spaces, but when the play had been squeezed and defenders were nearby. In these situations, I can tell you with complete confidence that he didn't have a clue about creating space with clever movement.

Fair enough, your complete confidence appears to be equivalent to absolute fact.

I'll repeat that I thought I saw Gabby making an awful lot of runs tonight (and holding the ball up and playing it to our midfield). You didn't.

We seemed to have watched different games.

OK, you didn't happen to notice what I did, that's fair enough.

I'll clarify that I think Gabby is a decent player and I wouldn't want him to leave, I just don't think he's quite got enough to be our ever-present, first choice striker. This may change in time but I also worry that there is something wrong with the way he is being coached.

This is what seriously worries me, our creativity is a vegtable... nothing!!!

AND GABBY STOP RUNNING OUT TO WING WHEN THERE IS A MASSIVE HOLE IN THEIR CENTRAL DEFENCE!!

Anyone heard of a through ball?

Going to villa park is beginning to not be fun, too many **** moaning rocket polishers around.

Dont go then!

They pay their money and can do what they like, the same way you pay yours to sit on your high horse.

He's right, though. Don't think i've ever had a season where I've been surrounded by such dickheads. Constatly moaning and getting on the players back at the first opportunity. The term "support" is lost on some of our home fans.

Dont go then!

He's right, though. Don't think i've ever had a season where I've been surrounded by such dickheads. Constatly moaning and getting on the players back at the first opportunity. The term "support" is lost on some of our home fans.

I don't agree. Whenever I have been down this season I've found that most people try and support the team and will only let out a disappointed sigh when someone makes a mistake.

There's only ever one or two blokes who sit there screaming abuse the whole game. It's an exaggeration to say the place is full of people like that.