• Petrov
    • Milner
    • Ashley Young
    • Downing
    • Delph
    • Agbonlahor
    • Sub: Carew
    • Sub: Sidwell

We need to rest ALOT of players for Palace AND Burnley and come with a fresh team for the rest of the season.

I thought Delph played well first half so would be happy to see that team again start in the next league game.

Manure were outstanding with 10 men, credit to them.

We seemed happy with a point from the moment of the own goal really. Shame as I thought we played well first 20 minutes. Carlos MOTM. Outstanding form again.

Still the next 6 weeks will decide our league season, we need to get our home form going again. Results went for us tonight so that's good.

Astonished at the negativity here... we've managed a creditable draw with Utd and everyone is whinging? I'm just delighted that we didn't lose. We're still in the hunt, played poor but took a point. Personally I'm pretty chuffed with that. :?

Reading this thread anyone would think we'd been beaten 5-0.

It really **** me off how many of you guys think that was pathetic. One of the best teams in the world,and we are unhappy with 4 points from them. Every claret and blue player on the pitch played their absolute **** hearts out and worked soooo hard for each other.

god damn, fickle is right.

I should be pissed we drew cause if we had won I woulda cashed an easy $850. But I'm not, 4 points from them and the way we played in this game lifts my spirits, we have what it takes to be top 4. if you think otherwise go see a doctor.

I pretty much agreed with this.

Don't know where all this "worst performance ever" stuff is coming from. We played a lot worse against Spuds.

so we were even worse against spurs makes tonight good??? actually i would say that when you are at home, against ten men, with both of their first choice central defenders out and you dont force their keeper into making a save for an hour qualifies as being pretty poor. they are the champions i know, but that doesnt mean we cant have a go at them.

the result is acceptable - no one really is going to argue with that. the list of what was wrong with the performance could go on for volumes though.

other than the back four maybe one of you two could point out a single positive to come out of the game regarding any of the other seven outfielders who played tonight - i exclude delph because he did enough to at least be spared a roasting.

the fact that collins ran 60 yards then had to stop and cuellar was chasing down their keeper in the 92nd minute was fairly indicative of the rest of the teams performance.

I never said it made us look good tonight, but we've had worse games this season. To be fair I'm just happy we're out of the tough fixtures for pretty much the rest of the season.

Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill: "I thought we could maybe take advantage but we were a bit tired in the second half and we didn't create enough to cause them undue worry. But they haven't been gallivanting around Europe winning Champions Leagues and titles without being a top side. But I thought it was a red card, when you go in two-footed nowadays there is a decent chance the referee will show a red card."

Astonished at the negativity here... we've managed a creditable draw with Utd and everyone is whinging? I'm just delighted that we didn't lose. We're still in the hunt, played poor but took a point. Personally I'm pretty chuffed with that. :?

actually - i dont think that there would have been much negativity if we had just got turned over heavily. we would just shrug our shoulders and say "thats how far off the top we still are" as was the case after the arsenal game.

the difference tonight was that two players couldnt make a simple ten yard pass to feet when under no pressure. the unforced errors and basic lack of application was shocking.

we've managed a creditable draw with Utd and everyone is whinging?

I'm sorry. Once Nani went off, the standards changed for this match. Not in outcome... again, getting a draw against ManU is fine in and of itself. But when the bell rang and the players were shown an opportunity to take the game to their opponents... they caved. The second half was not playing decently and failing to grab a winner against an excellent team. It was standing around, ball-watching, passing directly to the opponent, and passively watching the clock wind down. We were, frankly, fortunate that ManU didn't score and take all the points. That attitude, that complete lack of any desire to seize the moment, is what was awful. And as someone who has consistently backed the management and the players, and who believes they'll return and put in perfectly good performances later, I have no compunctions about saying that it was awful.

Hopefully, MON had no compunctions about it in the dressing room, either.

i think we failed to take advantage tonight but if you remember who we are playing we did well, carew is rubbish, sidwell useless, downing was missing in action yet we take off delph! He looked great and was very hungry

They bossed us with 10 men. Very poor display, particularly AFTER we went a man up. Besides a good move with Ash and Milner that VDS stopped, we didn't pressure them at all after Cuellar's nice goal.

Yeah, a point against one of the top sides in Europe is good, etc. and so on....but we should have won that.

That said, when our attacking options are what they are, the goals are going to be hard to come by. And that is something that Lerner and MON are going to have to accept. After all, WE have to accept it.

4th place isn't looking too realistic right now.

The result was good and made even better by other results. I think it is the heartless attacking performance that has bummed everyone out, especially when it seems United were there for the taking. Down to 10 men and without Ferdinand AND Vidic. It was a poor showing from us especially when the pot was so big and we had strong hole cards ( If poker metaphors are your thing). I think as Villa fans we can all understand the reason for negativity considering how many "If only" matches we seem to play in these days. I would also like to add that it is a testimony to how far we have come as a club that there are a lot of pissed of Villa fans because we failed to secure 6 points against Man Ure. I remember the days when we rarely won a corner against them. We are still very much a team "in transition" IMO and I am just enjoying being up there and amongst it in February.

Sure, we lacked application after the red, but come on people. We'd have taken a point before tonight (I was convinced we'd get spanked) and results elsewhere couldn't have been better.

We've come a long way in the fact that that people are so gutted tonight I suppose, but let's not lose perspective here folks.

i hate man utd. with a passion. i dream about them going bankrupt.

and that is why it really pains me to say it, but they did well tonight.

they had to play for an hour with ten men, away from home against a team that they have already lost to this season and yet never once did they look like they were happy to shut up shop and take a draw. i know we did everything possible to make it easy for them but the belief that they had that they could still win the game right until the last minute is something that we never once showed from the minute they equalised.

Delph looked gutted to be going off, the kid has great desire and hunger which bodes well for the future, his passing was very good also.

There is an ease and fluidity of motion to his game that is nice to watch. I can't wait to see more of him. He's pretty frail though, and I can see that as a liability, especially in the Premiership.

I reckon we are lulling them into a false sense of security, they will believe we can be that average again in the final and we will come out all guns blazing.

Well I can hope thats the case anyway.

I will tell you something we are now bloody tough to watch.

fixed

If everyone here at the start of the season was offered 4 points against Manure in the Premier League, who would have refused that?

That said, we didn't show a winning mentality tonight, our passing and ball retention was poor and we were again toothless up front.

Jimmy Milner is not the answer to our lack of creativity in midfield, Petrov along with Sidwell, Carew, Heskey should be sold in the summer and Martin needs to visit foriegn fields in the summer to learn a few modern day tatics and take his coaching staff with him.

If we'd been down to ten men, Fergie would have told his team to go for the throat. Martin and our players were happy to settle for the draw.

Overall, another disappointing performance in a season full of turgid football from us. Martin needs to watch or attendances will start to fall at our ground. But do you know something, i don't think even that happening, would make Martin change the style of football we play.