The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

The not boxers are the only ones who want to actually box.

Fair enough, but what's the draw in watching people who are not particularly good at something do it? Gabby was pretty quick, would not sit down and watch him run 200m, against Usain Bolt or against Shaquille O'Neal. Even in their prime.

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

Where does Joshua go now? The Fury fight never looks like it will happen. He’s lost to Usyk and beaten Parker. 

Must be time for AJ and Fury to fight the likes of Chisora and Whyte again!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Follyfoot said:

Nick Ball and Rey Vargas

I was reading an article about Ball, mikky mouse and not a bad boxer by all accounts. Who should have got the nod, iyo?

Edited by sheepyvillian

7 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I was reading an article about Ball, mikky mouse and not a bad boxer by all accounts. Who should have got the nod, iyo?

Ball mate, had Vargas down twice and did much the better work especially in the championship rounds. It was a proper David and Goliath turnout, Ball is only 5 foot two, and the other bloke was nearly  the 6ft 🤣

• Thanks 1

Just now, Follyfoot said:

Ball mate, had Vargas down twice and did much the better work especially in the championship rounds. It was a proper David and Goliath turnout, Ball is only 5 foot two, and the other bloke was nearly  the 6ft 🤣

Thanks, Brother. I shall have a gander at that on YT.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MaVilla said:

the fact that an MMA fighter, with 1 previous professional fight (and the first was against Fury - wtf), gets to fight on such a stage, and have such a big deal made of it, tbh, shows what a joke boxing has become.

Not putting down, Ngannou, good for him, but it does highlight what a state boxing is in, when an ex MMA fighter and Jake Paul are pulling a lot of the boxing headlines.

Outside of one or two fighters, boxing is a joke these days, its more pantomime than WWE.

Also proves how overrated MMA striking is. We were told this man was granet and unable to be hurt. Utter nonsense you get hit by a heavyweight on the chin you go down. His boxing was poor and was biting on every faint.

Fury either rocked up not training and not taking it seriously or is nowhere near as good as we thought or probably all 3. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Oaks said:

Also proves how overrated MMA striking is. We were told this man was granet and unable to be hurt. Utter nonsense you get hit by a heavyweight on the chin you go down. His boxing was poor and was biting on every faint.

Fury either rocked up not training and not taking it seriously or is nowhere near as good as we thought or probably all 3. 

Your first couple of points I can agree with the third definitely not.. he is or possibly was an exceptional heavyweight. I suspect he may have made that much money that his heart is not in any more.

As Micky said, the worst thing that can happen, you became civilised

14 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Your first couple of points I can agree with the third definitely not.. he is or possibly was an exceptional heavyweight. I suspect he may have made that much money that his heart is not in any more.

And he still beats Joshua, imo. A fit and focused Fury should beat Usyk too, although I give Usyk way more a chance of victory than I do AJ.

Last night's farce proves nothing except that the heavyweight division is probably the least exciting of all the weights. I wouldn't even watch that farce on YT.

54 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Fury is obviously a good mover, but exceptional I’m still to be convinced. If he’d taken the fights when he should’ve then maybe, but he’s ducked too many fights for me to be exceptional. There has always been a question of his punching power 

50 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Fury is obviously a good mover, but exceptional I’m still to be convinced. If he’d taken the fights when he should’ve then maybe, but he’s ducked too many fights for me to be exceptional. There has always been a question of his punching power 

He has never been a devastating puncher. I have never brought into the Wilder misconception that he has suddenly become a devastating puncher. He is, however, a very good technician who is very difficult to hit at his best as he proved against Klitshco 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oaks said:

It's not that MMA striking is overrated, it's just very different. In MMA, you're worrying about different things. Strikes come from different angles because you're taking into account kicks, takedowns, sweeps etc etc. You look at a top level striker in MMA (someone like Stephen Thompson, for example), and it's pure poetry. But it's not boxing. It's hard to erase a career's-worth of muscle memory. I train in Karate myself, which is predominantly punches & kicks - but the way you throw & set up punches is very different to the way a boxer would.

As has been said many times, stick a boxer in a cage with an MMA fighter under MMA rules and I'd be surprised if they get past the first round once they start getting their legs kicked from underneath then. It's two completely different worlds. Not to say one is better than the other, just different.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JoshVilla said:

It's not that MMA striking is overrated, it's just very different. In MMA, you're worrying about different things. Strikes come from different angles because you're taking into account kicks, takedowns, sweeps etc etc. You look at a top level striker in MMA (someone like Stephen Thompson, for example), and it's pure poetry. But it's not boxing. It's hard to erase a career's-worth of muscle memory. I train in Karate myself, which is predominantly punches & kicks - but the way you throw & set up punches is very different to the way a boxer would.

As has been said many times, stick a boxer in a cage with an MMA fighter under MMA rules and I'd be surprised if they get past the first round once they start getting their legs kicked from underneath then. It's two completely different worlds. Not to say one is better than the other, just different.

I know which I would rather watch, and it's not two men in a cage. Two men grappling on a floor is very much an aquired taste.

20 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

I've just watched some highlights. Hard to gauge a conclusion from them. That body - shot by Vargas though, I felt that.

Â