The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

7 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

He's in his fifties now, easy. Has to be before, along with the likes of Malone, the Burns brothers, Mac, a black lad from Ladywood and Kid Milo, who you mentioned before. 

Yeah, you probably right. I'm 50 myself as is Milo's bro who was at Ladywood the same time, same age. We were only nippers when there. I went in at 10yrs old although couldn't register until 11-12 iirc although I had a few exhibitions before turning amateur. I then moved clubs at 13 and half. I must have crossed paths with him though at some point though. It's a long long time ago now but I'm sure I remember Mac. The problem was everyone had nicknames at the time lol. I think I've still got my first pair of shorts from Ladywood somewhere in my loft with a few trophies. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

I think Clarke edged it personally. He done the cleaner work throughout the fight.

Sometimes a fight deserves two winners and that was one of em, lions with bollox the size of Mellons.

• Like 2

Watching the McGuigan doc on IPlayer, hoping just maybe, we'll see Barry spend a few bob at the bar and that myth can be put to bed.😉

Incidentally, A. Azim has apparently relinquished his European title, so that will be interpreted has him ducking Smith, but, tbh, I think that fight makes more sense further down the line. Imagine them both winning World titles and then fighting in a unification, it certainly wets the appetite. 

I do think Shane is one of our best trainers, you certainly can't fault his work ethic.

6 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Watching the McGuigan doc on IPlayer, hoping just maybe, we'll see Barry spend a few bob at the bar and that myth can be put to bed.😉

Incidentally, A. Azim has apparently relinquished his European title, so that will be interpreted has him ducking Smith, but, tbh, I think that fight makes more sense further down the line. Imagine them both winning World titles and then fighting in a unification, it certainly wets the appetite. 

I do think Shane is one of our best trainers, you certainly can't fault his work ethic.

Azim has certainly ducked Smith.

Why get your fighter to fight for an EBU title, then drop it after your ordered to fight your first mandatory in Smith.

Boxxer have form for it, think they've pulled 4 or 5 fighters out of purse bids against Matchroom fighters in the past year or so. 

On 07/04/2024 at 01:14, Avfc96 said:

Azim has certainly ducked Smith.

Why get your fighter to fight for an EBU title, then drop it after your ordered to fight your first mandatory in Smith.

Boxxer have form for it, think they've pulled 4 or 5 fighters out of purse bids against Matchroom fighters in the past year or so. 

Why fight now when you could maybe make millions in the future? You could see it has Smith being avoided, or just good business sense. 

Beterbiev vs Bivol officially announced for undisputed on 1st June.

Then the undercard is Hearn vs Warren.

Wilder vs Zhang

Hrgovic vs Dubios

Ford vs Ball

Williams vs Sheeraz

Richards vs Hutchinson

The main event is the best fight in boxing and that undercard is cracking as well.

• Like 1

Watching the 2nd episode of Stable. Frampton looking like a Prat, after working the corner for McCarthy's fight with CBS, he ended up getting the sack for being incompetent. The fact he's an ex World champion, you would think he would have a little dignity instead of making it all about himself rather than his fighter. And, that walk of his, like he's permanently constipated. 

7 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Daniel Dubois on the stable, I just don't feel the hype surrounding him. A modern day Bruno, but not quite as good imo.

Frank Warren has managed him well for such a limited fighter, came apart against Joyce (not unusual) but then seemed to jump ahead of him getting a shot, good manager (+ other fighters didn't seem worried to fight him)

On the subject of boxing..... thinking Tyson may knock Paul flat out, it's a Tyson like thing to do tbh and I can't put aside the feeling that his style will be to much for Paul to deal with even at 50 years old. 

1 hour ago, tinker said:

Frank Warren has managed him well for such a limited fighter, came apart against Joyce (not unusual) but then seemed to jump ahead of him getting a shot, good manager (+ other fighters didn't seem worried to fight him)

On the subject of boxing..... thinking Tyson may knock Paul flat out, it's a Tyson like thing to do tbh and I can't put aside the feeling that his style will be to much for Paul to deal with even at 50 years old. 

Almost 60 

• Shocked 1

40 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Some stories floating around that Fury may pull out of Usyk fight again, anyone shocked by this?? 

I’d love to say that would be him finished with the British public but we know that’s not the case. He’ll be back on social media calling everyone a bum dosser and lining up his 6th fight with Chisora no doubt.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Some stories floating around that Fury may pull out of Usyk fight again, anyone shocked by this?? 

There will be loads of BS stories in the media to try to hype up this fight and sell PPV. As with everything in boxing you can't believe any of it until it happens. 

On 18/04/2024 at 11:19, sheepyvillian said:

I'm really hoping the Garcia v Haney fight isn't a let - down.

Garcia 3lbs over at the weigh in, now no title on the line

Â