The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Heaney v Paul was a great fight tbh. Heaney lucky in the end, probably just edged it but Paul could've stopped him had he got on the gas earlier. Nobody wants to draw but a great scrap.

• Like 1

On 16/03/2024 at 23:21, avfc1982am said:

Joe Joyce looked absolute chronic v's Kash Ali.

Liam Davis though looks the real deal though. What a class finish from the youngster.

Joyce should change his nickname to The Robot Vacuum Cleaner. 

On 16/03/2024 at 23:21, avfc1982am said:

Joe Joyce looked absolute chronic v's Kash Ali.

Liam Davis though looks the real deal though. What a class finish from the youngster.

He's gonna get hurt if he goes in with another big hitter, time for him to retire, shame I liked watching him fight but time waits for no one.

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Interesting British heavyweight title fight this weekend. I'm edging towards Clarke, just!

It’s an interesting one, former white collar boxer, turned pro against a much promoted Olympian. I think Clark has looked very very average  in his last couple of fights but he should have too much, also a little bit of interest as he just comes from down the A38

Do not see either going much further up the ladder, to be honest but in the madness that is heavyweight boxing these days, one of them will probably end up fighting for a world title of some sort

30 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

It’s an interesting one, former white collar boxer, turned pro against a much promoted Olympian. I think Clark has looked very very average  in his last couple of fights but he should have too much, also a little bit of interest as he just comes from down the A38

Do not see either going much further up the ladder, to be honest but in the madness that is heavyweight boxing these days, one of them will probably end up fighting for a world title of some sort

If not a World title, there's always Jake Paul.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, sheepyvillian said:

Foreman, Cooney, the list is endless. 

Dennis Andrais still says he’s only 52

11 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Dennis Andrais still says he’s only 52

I'm sure he was 52 when he fought Hearns. 

Tough cookie was our Dennis. Ended up at the Kronks Gym under Manny Steward.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sheepyvillian said:

I'm sure he was 52 when he fought Hearns. 

Tough cookie was our Dennis. Ended up at the Kronks Gym under Manny Steward.

Yes, it was reported that he was at least a decade older than he said he was.

If I remember, rightly when Hearns beat him, it was Hearns belt at a fifth different weight

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Follyfoot said:

Yes, it was reported that he was at least a decade older than he said he was.

If I remember, rightly when Hearns beat him, it was Hearns belt at a fifth different weight

The only thing I remember about the Hearns fight was how many times Andries got back up.

Tommy Hearns, what a thing of beauty he was. They robbed him in the second fight with Leonard. I watched that live in the Porsche club, no way was that a draw. His KO of Duran is one of the best knockouts ever, and the fight with Hagler is without doubt the greatest three rounds in boxing history. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

The only thing I remember about the Hearns fight was how many times Andries got back up.

Tommy Hearns, what a thing of beauty he was. They robbed him in the second fight with Leonard. I watched that live in the Porsche club, no way was that a draw. His KO of Duran is one of the best knockouts ever, and the fight with Hagler is without doubt the greatest three rounds in boxing history. 

What an era for boxing with the four kings 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

What an era for boxing with the four kings 

Which two heavyweights had the classic last 15th Rnd, I'm sure it was Norton and Homes? What I do know is, it's arguably the greatest last round in boxing, if you haven't seen it, get to YT.

10 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

The real Hitman... I agree.... that Duran knockout is still to this day one of the greatest ever. Righthand straight down the pipe and Duran got felled like a tree. I absolutely loved Hearns as a kid. If he'd been able to stay the course in the first fight he'd have won that by a landslide because Ray was well down on the cards. He definitely got robbed against Leonard in the rematch though. The documentary series on them, 'The Kings' is one of the best boxing docs ever if you haven't seen it. They were all brilliant in that period. I loved the four of them but especially Tommy who will always be one of my top 5 favourite fighters of all time. 

23 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Glad that arrogant Marku has now got a loss on his record. Kongo clear winner.

Marku is just a one trick pony and a dirty one at that. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

I got Wardley 

Might have to revisit this. Clarke looks much more composed and that jab will pay dividends as the fight goes on. Wardley looks a little uncomfortable and open already.

• Like 1

Â