The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

13 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

The thing I like about Froch is how brutally honest he was throughout his career, put his hands up regarding Ward and admitted he would never beat him in a month of Sundays. His take to the Groves fights and his total respect for Kessler as a warrior. I could watch the Kessler matches 1000 times and never get bored. Loses some points however for the that thing who screeched in his corner constantly

On a side note, loved the super 6

Funnily enough I was never really a fan of Froch when he fighting, yet appreciate him more now.

I just felt he was slow asf and technically all over the shop, but I think he knew that anyway, ultimately he was a brawler by nature. The one thing that he can never be denied, was that he had a chin and a half and could also stand and bang. He also had some great wins against Taylor and Kessler especially. The biggest compliment I could give Froch was if you weren't on point you'd be some serious trouble. A very honest fighter if not the most gifted. 

Froch v Benn would've been a brutal fight. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

The thing I like about Froch is how brutally honest he was throughout his career, put his hands up regarding Ward and admitted he would never beat him in a month of Sundays. His take to the Groves fights and his total respect for Kessler as a warrior. I could watch the Kessler matches 1000 times and never get bored. Loses some points however for the that thing who screeched in his corner constantly

On a side note, loved the super 6

Let's not forget he fought in front of 80'000 people too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Let's not forget he fought in front of 80'000 people too.

So he keeps saying 😂

Groves gave Froch a good fight, although I never thought Groves ever looked like a boxer. The sort of guy you'd give it back to, if he called you out in the bar, unknowingly he'd Knock you the FO, before you finished your sentance.

18 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

So he keeps saying 😂

Groves gave Froch a good fight, although I never thought Groves ever looked like a boxer. The sort of guy you'd give it back to, if he called you out in the bar, unknowingly he'd Knock you the FO, before you finished your sentance.

Muhammad Ali never looked like a boxer, neither did Don Curry, but they were two special boxers in their prime. You could say the same for both Sugar Rays.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Muhammad Ali never looked like a boxer, neither did Don Curry, but they were two special boxers in their prime. You could say the same for both Sugar Rays.

Chris Eubank was the one, the way he spoke too. 😆

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Chris Eubank was the one, the way he spoke too. 😆

Don't let that detach from the fact he had a seriously tough upbringing. Eubank has/had a seriously dark side which is why he was so f****** nails. Once Ronny Davies gave him a slap in the corner the switch would flick and he'd dig deep and then bury you in the hole.

I was all about Benn as a youth because he was exciting to watch and then I thought Eubank was a weird fish. Funny really because I met Benn later on in passing and thought he was a bit of a c*** which really disappointed me. Steve Collins, was also a bit moody but I was little pissed when a pal introduced us in Bizzy Lizzies back in the day. Eubank I met at a show in Brentwood and what a gent, very similar to Bruno, another who never needed to act the tough guy. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Don't let that detach from the fact he had a seriously tough upbringing. Eubank has/had a seriously dark side which is why he was so f****** nails. Once Ronny Davies gave him a slap in the corner the switch would flick and he'd dig deep and then bury you in the hole.

I was all about Benn as a youth because he was exciting to watch and then I thought Eubank was a weird fish. Funny really because I met Benn later on in passing and thought he was a bit of a c*** which really disappointed me. Steve Collins, was also a bit moody but I was little pissed when a pal introduced us in Bizzy Lizzies back in the day. Eubank I met at a show in Brentwood and what a gent, very similar to Bruno, another who never needed to act the tough guy. 

Bizzy Lizzies John bright street Brum, used drink in there before the clubs myself.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Let's hope the Garcia v Haney fight is as heated as the face - off. I'm looking forward to it. Garcia certainly has the power and speed to make it a very competitive fight, I just wonder if he has the durability to take the fight into those rounds where experience could be the deciding factor. 

• Like 1

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

It's to avoid the Grand Prix on the Saturday.

Is that supposed to avoid being "spoilt for choice," honestly, I would rather watch a replay of a frame of snooker between Terry Griffiths and Graham Miles.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Tyson Fury trash talking Ngannu even though he’s not fighting, it’s so **** boring which he’d just retire. 

and Ngannu put him on his arse (and was robbed by the judges).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Tyson Fury trash talking Ngannu even though he’s not fighting, it’s so **** boring which he’d just retire. 

Joshua should follow him. This farce with Ngannu makes zero sense in terms of his boxing career. I would laugh my niagras off if he got beat.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

I’m looking forward to the Parker Zhang fight

For some reason I struggle to get excited about heavyweight clashes, especially today's heavyweights. Most of them don't even look like boxers, more like doormen. I mean, Zhang is  as old as Foreman when he beat Moorer. It's crazy, you would think as time has gone by, the heavyweights would have got better, but they have kind of regressed, to the point where they bore the pants off the viewer. 

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

For some reason I struggle to get excited about heavyweight clashes, especially today's heavyweights. Most of them don't even look like boxers, more like doormen. I mean, Zhang is  as old as Foreman when he beat Moorer. It's crazy, you would think as time has gone by, the heavyweights would have got better, but they have kind of regressed, to the point where they bore the pants of the viewer. 

I really enjoyed the Parker Wilder fight. Totally unexpected result and performance, so hoping they go toe to toe. Parker went up in my estimation, a great deal after that. It was decent entertainment.

Â