The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

10 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

What's he say?

8 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

The same as always, Nothing. It's just the length he takes to explain it. 

Yeah, the arse end of nothing. Talked about Clarke as if his amateur experience made him less experienced then proceeded to roll out his own bollocks about himself having little amateur experience and it that it didn't matter. He just talks absolute shit. Can't stand the bloke.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Yeah, the arse end of nothing. Talked about Clarke as if his amateur experience made him less experienced then proceeded to roll out his own bollocks about himself having little amateur experience and it that it didn't matter. He just talks absolute shit. Can't stand the bloke.

His suits/clothes always look a couple of sizes too small and for that reason I am out 

39 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

I forgot to mention this to you. On my phone wallpaper I have a photo from a funeral I attended last year. One of the lads is no other than the famous Marty Chestnut, or "Conker," as he is known to others. Good friend of mine. 

1 hour ago, avfc1982am said:

The reason I mentioned the photo was because Conker was at Ladywood as an amateur. He then turned pro with Nobby. 

2 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

The reason I mentioned the photo was because Conker was at Ladywood as an amateur. He then turned pro with Nobby. 

The name sounds familiar... when was he at Ladywood Sheepy? I was there from 83 - 86 before moving to SW Brum and Rubery ABC

12 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

The name sounds familiar... when was he at Ladywood Sheepy? I was there from 83 - 86 before moving to SW Brum and Rubery ABC

A bit before your time tbf. I kind of thought that may be the case. He turned pro in the late eighties. His biggest fight was with an up and coming kid called Paul Lloyd from Merseyside. It got stopped in the third, the way he tells it is, because of a cut to his eye, Nobby apparently made the cut worse in the corner, and said, "come on, let's get the **** out of here." The funny thing is, every year, the cut gets deeper and deeper every time he tells the story, it's the "I could have been a contender" complex. That's boxers for you.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

A bit before your time tbf. I kind of thought that may be the case. He turned pro in the late eighties. His biggest fight was with an up and coming kid called Paul Lloyd from Merseyside. It got stopped in the third, the way he tells it is, because of a cut to his eye, Nobby apparently made the cut worse in the corner, and said, "come on, let's get the **** out of here." The funny thing is, every year, the cut gets deeper and deeper every time he tells the story, it's the "I could have been a contender" complex. That's boxers for you.

Had his first pro fight in 93 looking at Box Rec so he may well have been around the amateurs when I was. finished with a 6-34-1 record. The name does sound familiar though. He went in against a few faces like Caldwell, Oliver, J Booth, Pithie etc. All after Lloyd. I can't remember him being at Ladywood when I was there though so wonder if it was after rather than before? 

BoxRec: Marty Chestnut

6 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Had his first pro fight in 93 looking at Box Rec so he may well have been around the amateurs when I was. finished with a 6-34-1 record. The name does sound familiar though. He went in against a few faces like Caldwell, Oliver, J Booth, Pithie etc. All after Lloyd. I can't remember him being at Ladywood when I was there though so wonder if it was after rather than before? 

BoxRec: Marty Chestnut

He's in his fifties now, easy. Has to be before, along with the likes of Malone, the Burns brothers, Mac, a black lad from Ladywood and Kid Milo, who you mentioned before. 

Â