The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

6 minutes ago, jim said:

Boxing is a joke now, how is Whyte vs some nobody a PPV?

It’s somewhat of a novelty, an actual fight that does not involve people who are not on YouTube or 40/50 something former world champions fighting without a result for millions of pounds (should never be PPV I agree with you) I will be very interested to see the figures for the next Saturdays fight on PPV if they are decent, I suspect we are living on an island inhabited by morons.

Edited by Follyfoot

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

It’s somewhat of a novelty, an actual fight that does not involve people who are not on YouTube or 40/50 something former world champions fighting without a result for millions of pounds (should never be PPV I agree with you) I will be very interested to see the figures for the next Saturdays fight on PPV if they are decent, I suspect we are living on an island inhabited by morons.

I’d be amazed if it is anymore than 100k

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

I can't even be bothered to watch the Whyte fight. 

I'll leave at the Ryder fight. Zach Parker unlucky with that injury but you're always going to be susceptible to hand problems when you throw punches from unorthodox angles.

Totally agree. Hate all the quitting talk nonsense. Your hands are your tools and you need them in this game. He knew it was gone and had the sense to tell his trainer. Fair play to Ryder. Still hasn’t got that big fight he deserves after been robbed against Smith. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I can't even be bothered to watch the Whyte fight. 

I'll leave at the Ryder fight. Zach Parker unlucky with that injury but you're always going to be susceptible to hand problems when you throw punches from unorthodox angles.

Had a to stop listening as well, that Steve Bunce constantly chatting crap at machine gun pace.

Ryder was causing Parker problems and with his hand injury he would have taken a beating and still lost. Good call from Parker , no point in fighting in those circumstances. Hopefully Ryder gets a few pay days .

• Like 1

I didnt even know whyte was boxing. Just wtache don youtuvbe thank god i didnt waste timing watching it.

Obviously aj vs whyte 2 is going to happen.  But for me its not a big fight anymore. Both close to be washed up. Rather watch joyce than aj these days

• Like 1

Im going to the fury fight on saturday night as gog tickets through a mate. Not really looking forward to it as it will be a easy fury win.  He will probbaly drag it out to be a spectical for the fans.

But yeah i reckon fury ko in 6

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Really looking forward to the Eubank v Smith fight. I'm slightly edging towards Eubank, mainly because he's the bigger man and also, I've never really took to them Smith brothers, they just rub me up the wrong way. 

Similar. If there is one thing the Smith brothers do have it's durability. I agree though, I find them hard to take to, I just think its boredom tbh. I don't find any of them have been that exciting to watch, even though they've all been in slugfests. All are pretty decent technically but all missing that something special imo.

I think Liam could be in the fight until late. Rounds 8, 9, 10 is when I'd expect Eubank's conditioning and strength to take over and force the stoppage. 

• Like 1

Read the story earlier about Regis Prograis. Basically, he beat Jose Zepeda Saturday night for the WBC light welterweight title. A start up promotion company called marvnation won the purse bid with a bid that blew others out of the water. Here’s the rub, winning a purse bid say with a bid of 3 million doesn’t mean you’ve to put up 3 million when you win it. You put a couple of hundred thousand in escrow. Prograis goes to cash his cheque Monday and it bounced. Due 1.5 million. Remember last year a crowd called Triller won the purse bid for Kambosos - Lopez. Astronomical bid. They tried to put the fight on 4 times - fell apart each time. They had no money. Matchroom saved the fight. Note to fighters, sign with Matchroom, Top Rank, Golden Boy. Least you’ll get paid. Good luck to Prograis. He’ll be a while seeing his full purse i think. 

Edited by Johnnyp
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

Dubois very lucky tonight, leg went in the second, looked like a dislocated knee/ ankle . Went on to stop Lerena   in the 3rd, ref stepped in as the 3rd ended and after Dubois landed shots after the bell, unbelievable decision IMO. 

Â