The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Seems like there is a big debate regarding tyson fury and lennox lewis. Mcguigan has said that lennox would  win the fight comfortably and would knock out fury.

Im not so sure about that.  Lewis was a excellent boxer but he did lose a fight. Fury hasnt i think its a tough one to call

41 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Seems like there is a big debate regarding tyson fury and lennox lewis. Mcguigan has said that lennox would  win the fight comfortably and would knock out fury.

Im not so sure about that.  Lewis was a excellent boxer but he did lose a fight. Fury hasnt i think its a tough one to call

Lewis never actually fought anyone in their prime and when he did (Klitschko) he was losing that fight before cuts stopped it. Lewis just came along at the right time, he had no credible opposition. Fury is actually a quality boxer, doesn't have big power but has really good skills and uses his size really well. 

That fight Lewis did lose to Rahman was just a flash knockout, Rahman wasnt any good either. The one he lost to McCall, McCall was just better. In the rematch mccall burst into tears after about 2 rounds and it was a farce. 

If you look at Lewis's record it's actually a joke who he fought and when, a bunch of misfits and has beens. As for mcguigan I wouldn't listen to anything he says about  boxing, frampton took him to the cleaners in court and it was well deserved by all accounts. 

Edited by villa89

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

Lewis never actually fought anyone in their prime and when he did (Klitschko) he was losing that fight before cuts stopped it. Lewis just came along at the right time, he had no credible opposition. Fury is actually a quality boxer, doesn't have big power but has really good skills and uses his size really well. 

That fight Lewis did lose to Rahman was just a flash knockout, Rahman wasnt any good either. The one he lost to McCall, McCall was just better. In the rematch mccall burst into tears after about 2 rounds and it was a farce. 

If you look at Lewis's record it's actually a joke who he fought and when, a bunch of misfits and has beens. As for mcguigan I wouldn't listen to anything he says about  boxing, frampton took him to the cleaners in court and it was well deserved by all accounts. 

You're having a laugh if you think Lewis never fought anybody in their prime. Tucker, Ruddock, Morrison, Mercer, and more. Lewis was a class heavyweight imo. He was prone to getting caught at times, but so were many top heavyweights. His jab was a thing of beauty at times. As for Klitschko, it was stopped in the 6th round, and regardless of Klitschko being ahead, he was never going to last the distance, that uppercut by Lewis took everything out of him. 

And how is Mcguigan's knowledge of boxing tainted by his libel case with Frampton? It has no relevance whatsoever. .Absolute bubbles.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, villa89 said:

I actually think the opposite i think the heavyweight division was aloy highwr quality back then what it is now.

Lets not forget lewis beat tyson (ok not prime tyson) and holyfield who was a excellent boxer. It was a controversial draw but lewis won both fights

9 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

You're having a laugh if you think Lewis never fought anybody in their prime. Tucker, Ruddock, Morrison, Mercer, and more. Lewis was a class heavyweight imo. He was prone to getting caught at times, but so were many top heavyweights. His jab was a thing of beauty at times. As for Klitschko, it was stopped in the 6th round, and regardless of Klitschko being ahead, he was never going to last the distance, that uppercut by Lewis took everything out of him. 

And how is Mcguigan's knowledge of boxing tainted by his libel case with Frampton? It has no relevance whatsoever. .Absolute bubbles.

In the top 5 of all time IMO. There is not a heavyweight in history that a motivated and fit Lewis would not have given massive problems to

It's not that there ain't great heavyweights now it's just they ain't willing to fight each other , to busy building their purses and tbh I can't blame them. 

Joyce is the classic example, any fight he's in is going to be dynamite because he won't back down and he's willing to take a shot to land one. The fact he's not fighting one of the poster boys is an example on how boxing is being run. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, tinker said:

It's not that there ain't great heavyweights now it's just they ain't willing to fight each other , to busy building their purses and tbh I can't blame them. 

Joyce is the classic example, any fight he's in is going to be dynamite because he won't back down and he's willing to take a shot to land one. The fact he's not fighting one of the poster boys is an example on how boxing is being run. 

Im sorry but its literally no comparison  tyson lewis bowe Klitschko roddick holyfield

To wilder AJ fury whyte joyce 

Hell i even think bruno would be beating alot of these current heavyweights

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Im sorry but its literally no comparison  tyson lewis bowe Klitschko roddick holyfield

To wilder AJ fury whyte joyce 

Hell i even think bruno would be beating alot of these current heavyweights

Usyk?

Bruno.....no chance at all, anyone of today's heavy weights would be all over him imho. 

I'm not arguing who's better , as you can't compare, to much has changed. But just on the size advantage, todays fighters are huge.

9 minutes ago, tinker said:

Usyk?

Bruno.....no chance at all, anyone of today's heavy weights would be all over him imho. 

I'm not arguing who's better , as you can't compare, to much has changed. But just on the size advantage, todays fighters are huge.

Uysk woud get destroyed by lewis tyson or holyfield in my opinion.

Bruno went in with tyson and git battered but didnt go down. The man could take a pounding. I think he beats AJ and most of the others. Only ones could be wilder if he hits. Maybe uysk outboxes him and fury. Aj whyte in my opinion would lose

19 minutes ago, tinker said:

Usyk?

I went to Wembley to watch Bruno against Witherspoon and I could tell after the second round that Terrible Tim was going to win, and he never hardly trained for that fight. Frank was a heavy puncher, but he lacked ring savvy. He always seemed too tense and far too muscle bound. Of course it brought a tear to the eye when he eventually won a World title, but let's face it, is was virtually handed on a plate for him.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Uysk woud get destroyed by lewis tyson or holyfield in my opinion.

Bruno went in with tyson and git battered but didnt go down. The man could take a pounding. I think he beats AJ and most of the others. Only ones could be wilder if he hits. Maybe uysk outboxes him and fury. Aj whyte in my opinion would lose

Usyk would have a 12 cm height advantage over Tyson, he's now considered a cruiser weight....

That era was great and I loved watching it at the time but time moves on. Wilder Fury was ,imo a better fight than any of those match ups in the golden era, Tyson , Bruno, Holyfield and Lewis. Joyce Parker as well, fantastic fight. Remind me of a fight in that era that was as good? 

4 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Wilson Bent didn't want anymore of that smoke. Sheeraz has the talent to go really far in this game. Last British talent I saw this good was Josh Taylor. 

Rivers a local lad , well Nuneaton, trains around Brum. Disappointed for him tonight but Sheeraz is on a different level. 

• Like 1

Â