The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

I watched that Butler v Inoue fight on YouTube, Butler was totally overwhelmed from the first second. I haven't seen someone that outclassed in a unification fight since Milton McCrory got flattened by Donald Curry. Inoue was on another level entirely and his combination punches at times was like poetry in motion. There wasn't a drop of sweat from the lad, he was relentless and he his most definitely something very special indeed. 

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I watched that Butler v Inoue fight on YouTube, Butler was totally overwhelmed from the first second. I haven't seen someone that outclassed in a unification fight since Milton McCrory got flattened by Donald Curry. Inoue was on another level entirely and his combination punches at times was like poetry in motion. There wasn't a drop of sweat from the lad, he was relentless and he his most definitely something very special indeed. 

Inoue first came on my radar in 2014. His 7th pro fight he fought Omar Narvaez for the world title. I’d never heard of him, flyweights and super flyweights need to make a significant splash to be heard of. I had never even heard of Ricardo Lopez until long after he retired. Arguably one of the greatest ever - who many don’t even know about. That’s how hard it is for the little guys. Anyway, some context here. Narvaez ruled the flyweights. Never dropped. Never beaten . Had a failed attempt at Donaire’s bantamweight crown ( had no business fighting there ) but in his house so to speak “ fly and super flyweights “ he ruled. Inoue folded him like a deck chair in 2 rounds. 7th pro fight. I’ve never seen a fighter / grown man whince and almost cry in pain from body shots. He said post butler fight, he’s moving up. Hope he fights Stephen Fulton. Inoue is pound for pound number 1 for me. 

• Like 3

Inoue - Lopez would of been one of the greatest of all time. Lopez was so good. Guys that know their stuff reckon he was the greatest Mexican of all time. He was great BUT he didn’t beat great fighters. Opposition wasn’t there. I’m still at a loss how a guy can make 105lbs his whole career. 

17 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Inoue first came on my radar in 2014. His 7th pro fight he fought Omar Narvaez for the world title. I’d never heard of him, flyweights and super flyweights need to make a significant splash to be heard of. I had never even heard of Ricardo Lopez until long after he retired. Arguably one of the greatest ever - who many don’t even know about. That’s how hard it is for the little guys. Anyway, some context here. Narvaez ruled the flyweights. Never dropped. Never beaten . Had a failed attempt at Donaire’s bantamweight crown ( had no business fighting there ) but in his house so to speak “ fly and super flyweights “ he ruled. Inoue folded him like a deck chair in 2 rounds. 7th pro fight. I’ve never seen a fighter / grown man whince and almost cry in pain from body shots. He said post butler fight, he’s moving up. Hope he fights Stephen Fulton. Inoue is pound for pound number 1 for me. 

I'm inclined to agree. The kid oozes class and confidence. 

On 14/12/2022 at 22:05, sheepyvillian said:

On 15/12/2022 at 01:05, Johnnyp said:

As I've said earlier in the thread, I'm not a boxing enthusiast - have more of a fleeting interest in the sport.  Inoue is comfortably pound for pound IMO.

His jab is fantastic and almost constant.  He just doesn't let his opponent settle, ever.  He also varies the jab up a lot - high or into the body - and, when he sees the slight gap open up, his combination punches are brilliant and varied too.  The whole left jab, right punch, left hook body shot is almost a signature 'finisher' for him, but there's such a relentless amount of work put in to getting him there.  As I've said before, it's almost business-like.  Work on the opponent, jab, jab, jab, combination, jab, jab, open up for a finish.  Obviously, this means he's great offensively but I actually think his defence work is great too (though arguably not been hugely tested).  His head movement always seems good to me and he uses that, coupled with an ability to move quickly to pivot, to avoid having heavy shots landed on him.

I'm happy to be wrong (fleeting interest etc :D) but I just don't see another fighter out there who has the skill set that Inoue has.  If there's was "an Inoue" at every weight, he'd be the best.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bobzy said:

As I've said earlier in the thread, I'm not a boxing enthusiast - have more of a fleeting interest in the sport.  Inoue is comfortably pound for pound IMO.

His jab is fantastic and almost constant.  He just doesn't let his opponent settle, ever.  He also varies the jab up a lot - high or into the body - and, when he sees the slight gap open up, his combination punches are brilliant and varied too.  The whole left jab, right punch, left hook body shot is almost a signature 'finisher' for him, but there's such a relentless amount of work put in to getting him there.  As I've said before, it's almost business-like.  Work on the opponent, jab, jab, jab, combination, jab, jab, open up for a finish.  Obviously, this means he's great offensively but I actually think his defence work is great too (though arguably not been hugely tested).  His head movement always seems good to me and he uses that, coupled with an ability to move quickly to pivot, to avoid having heavy shots landed on him.

I'm happy to be wrong (fleeting interest etc :D) but I just don't see another fighter out there who has the skill set that Inoue has.  If there's was "an Inoue" at every weight, he'd be the best.

Said in an interview the other day that he can go as far as featherweight but that will be him maxed out in so far as how far he can push his body. When you consider he started as a light flyweight ( 108lbs ) and said featherweight ( 126 lbs ) would be his limit - that’s an incredible feat. The great thing inoue has going for him is he can jump straight into title fights at super bantamweight and featherweight. He won’t have to earn a shot really. Probably takes a feeling out fight in each division though. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Said in an interview the other day that he can go as far as featherweight but that will be him maxed out in so far as how far he can push his body. When you consider he started as a light flyweight ( 108lbs ) and said featherweight ( 126 lbs ) would be his limit - that’s an incredible feat. The great thing inoue has going for him is he can jump straight into title fights at super bantamweight and featherweight. He won’t have to earn a shot really. Probably takes a feeling out fight in each division though. 

Puts into perspective what a freak Pac-Man was

• Like 1

Got to love, Billam Smith, one of my mates knows him, and apparently he’s a lovely lad. Great fight last night, the other guy was game as they come as well. The crowd that follows him in Bournemouth is something else as well which seems to elevate his performance. Not sure if he’s quite good enough for world level but certainly deserves a shot at a title in the future 

• 3 weeks later...

Hearn finding out what it’s like to be on the other side of the street. When he was a young upstart coming through i remember he knicked Barker and Brook off Mick Hennessy and Frank Warren respectively. Sky put their lot behind him. Left Sky last year for DAZN ( a venture that hasn’t progressed at the speed he had hoped. ) and now he’s in a legal dispute with Okolie after he said he’s leaving him after Boxxer and Sky made him a monster offer Hearn couldn’t match. Swings and roundabouts 😂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Hearn finding out what it’s like to be on the other side of the street. When he was a young upstart coming through i remember he knicked Barker and Brook off Mick Hennessy and Frank Warren respectively. Sky put their lot behind him. Left Sky last year for DAZN ( a venture that hasn’t progressed at the speed he had hoped. ) and now he’s in a legal dispute with Okolie after he said he’s leaving him after Boxxer and Sky made him a monster offer Hearn couldn’t match. Swings and roundabouts 😂

Couldn’t happen to a nicer bloke 

Gervonta Davis fight was weird. I mean it ended in standard Tank fashion with some heavy blows knocking the will to fight out of the opponent - but having to stop the fight for a minute or two in the eighth round because the rapper Meek Mill had started a fight with some boxers in the crowd was just peculiar.

Davis looks to me like he might be slightly on the decline - he's certainly got a lot of non boxing stuff going on in his life, and I wonder if it's starting to take a toll on him.

Still, the fight against Ryan Garcia should be tasty.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Gervonta Davis fight was weird. I mean it ended in standard Tank fashion with some heavy blows knocking the will to fight out of the opponent - but having to stop the fight for a minute or two in the eighth round because the rapper Meek Mill had started a fight with some boxers in the crowd was just peculiar.

Davis looks to me like he might be slightly on the decline - he's certainly got a lot of non boxing stuff going on in his life, and I wonder if it's starting to take a toll on him.

Still, the fight against Ryan Garcia should be tasty.

Meek Mill, he couldn't fight sleep. 

9 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Meek Mill, he couldn't fight sleep. 

This may make me sound like an old crony, but who the hell is he?🤣🤣 I’m quite flabbergasted that you know who he is Sheppy 🤣👍

Edited by Follyfoot

Â