The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

8 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

A fight where one man has to use drugs to bulk up and the other has to starve himself to this degree is, in retrospect, a very bad idea.

If his old man is unwell then at least he won't have the concern of Jnr being endangered by stupidity. For what it's worth I think Jnr would've still beaten Benn. 

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

Hopefully everybody who loses out financially will be paid by Hearn / Matchroom to save them the hassle of having to sue him and Benn.

He did an interview with IFL yesterday and addressed all of this, said something along the lines of they'll all be looked after but fights can be cancelled for a multitude of reasons at a minutes notice (injury, illness etc) and that he can't compensate every single one of them, there was no chance that the card could go ahead without the headline fight because they hadn't been given many tickets to sell themselves (usually they get a large portion to sell to family and friends) but due to the popularity of Jr v Benn they didn't bother giving the undercard fighters tickets to flog on their own.

He was also asked about the people who paid for accommodation and what not and he said that while the fans will be fully reimbursed for their tickets he won't be getting into conversations via DM with Dave about his B&B that he had to pay for.

15 minutes ago, Genie said:

Hopefully everybody who loses out financially will be paid by Hearn / Matchroom to save them the hassle of having to sue him and Benn.

I would put money on that he has some kind of nasty clause in all of the contracts to cover the event not talking place

13 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

He did an interview with IFL yesterday and addressed all of this, said something along the lines of they'll all be looked after but fights can be cancelled for a multitude of reasons at a minutes notice (injury, illness etc) and that he can't compensate every single one of them, there was no chance that the card could go ahead without the headline fight because they hadn't been given many tickets to sell themselves (usually they get a large portion to sell to family and friends) but due to the popularity of Jr v Benn they didn't bother giving the undercard fighters tickets to flog on their own.

He was also asked about the people who paid for accommodation and what not and he said that while the fans will be fully reimbursed for their tickets he won't be getting into conversations via DM with Dave about his B&B that he had to pay for.

5 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

I would put money on that he has some kind of nasty clause in all of the contracts to cover the event not talking place

This is where insurance companies come in. The authorities should insist that the promotors have insurance in place in the event that the fight gets cancelled within a short period of time.

It sounds like no such protection exists.

A fight getting cancelled due to injury or some other unforeseen circumstances is one thing. Because one fighter got caught cheating they should not be allowed to walk away and leave people out of pocket.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

This is where insurance companies come in. The authorities should insist that the promotors have insurance in place in the event that the fight gets cancelled within a short period of time.

It sounds like no such protection exists.

A fight getting cancelled due to injury or some other unforeseen circumstances is one thing. Because one fighter got caught cheating they should not be allowed to walk away and leave people out of pocket.

I doubt insurance companies would pay out for blatant cheating, especially it being drugs. Knowing the boxing fraternity, some would do it purposely for the pay out if that was the case

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I doubt insurance companies would pay out for blatant cheating, especially it being drugs. Knowing the boxing fraternity, some would do it purposely for the pay out if that was the case

Insurance companies will pay out for anything as long as it’s stipulated in the contract. It’s a “risk” of the fight not going ahead.

If not a separate insurance policy the promoter should have to guarantee to pay the costs if the fight doesn’t happen. 

It puts extra pressure on the fighters not to try and **** cheat.

On 06/10/2022 at 18:58, Follyfoot said:

The fella is like Teflon. Nothing seems to stick unfortunately, He knew alright

Looking at it now in the cold light of day, you can't help but feel that Connor Benn really wanted to inflict some harm on Eubank Jr. All that nasty snarling. Let's hope the authorities do the correct thing and at least give him a 4yr ban. 

5 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Looking at it now in the cold light of day, you can't help but feel that Connor Benn really wanted to inflict some harm on Eubank Jr. All that nasty snarling. Let's hope the authorities do the correct thing and at least give him a 4yr ban. 

We live in hope I suspect it won’t be. 6 to 12 months tops.

16 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

We live in hope I suspect it won’t be. 6 to 12 months tops.

Foll, I was listening to Chris Snr talking to Spencer Fearon on You Tube. From the content and the tone, it seems like Snr and the son have fell out big time. It's really sad if it has come to that especially on the back of the passing of Sebastian. 

• Sad 1

Who’s this tit singing at the boxing ? Absolute garbage and dressed like he’s just been dragged out of a shop doorway , trying to promote woman’s boxing and they’ve got this chunt making everyone want to change channels FO

I've just put it on, I was looking forward to having a night of the boxing and saw that it was an all female card so I opted not to bother, I just don't enjoy it, as soon as I have put it on they are talking about Beyonce lol

I'll have a look at the main event though.

This ppv has sucked.  The fights have been utterly poor. And that singer of my god absolutely awful

Thank fuckain events next ffs they have dragged this event for far longer than needs to be.

Anyway im going shields by points

Edited by Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

This ppv has sucked.  The fights have been utterly poor. And that singer of my god absolutely awful

Thank fuckain events next ffs they have dragged this event for far longer than needs to be.

Anyway im going shields by points

It’s not PPV. It’s on sky sports and sky showcase 

Didn’t even know the Haney - Kambosos rematch was on tonight until i heard about it the other day. That’s why contracted rematches are stupid when the first fight is one sided. I’d be surprised if the outcome is any different. 

Â