The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

29 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

If Benn has any sense he will walk away now because there is no way he can come out of the this fight a hero, regardless of the result. 

He's now the pantomime villain. You honestly couldn't make it up.

Yeah, it's a total farce now. If the BBBOC aren't going to authorise the fight, then there is no point. You cannot have a situation whereby fights become unregulated. It's ridiculous tbh. Hearn and the Benn camp need to have a serious look at themselves here. Benn being a lollipop, caught cheating and still give it, "for the fans". I mean f*** off with that nonsense...It's all about the fans bs. And Hearn, he's already taking a battering over the Fury AJ farce he needs to fix himself up. He's presiding over too much bollox this year, including the Canelo GGG bs the other week. 

• Like 2

They’ll just find someone who will sanction the fight.  It’s happened before, Haye vs Chisora was sanctioned by the Luxembourg boxing federation because Chisora lost his BBBofC license.  I’m not sure if Brexit will throw a spanner in the works there, but this fight was only ever about the money so someone’s palm will get greased to make it happen. 

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Benn loses whatevee the result. He wins everyone  says he cheated, he loses he loses.

Idiots **** himself

Imagine the scenario of him seriously hurting Eubanks. It's not totally out of the question, but believe me, there would be a furore, yet all that seems to matter is the money involved. 

When Ben Johnson failed a drug test he was sent home immediately in disgrace. Only in boxing could this nonsense be happening. 

• Like 1

I guess from the Benn / Hearn side of things it’s either:

1) Get the fight on hook or by crook. Both fighters and promoters get their money. It’ll be panned in the media but they don’t care.

2) Fight is off, Benn / Hearn camp earn nothing but owe millions to Eubank and probably a load of other organisations and TV companies who invested in the fight.

You can see why he’s going to push for 1).

If I was Eubank i’d refuse to fight a drug cheat, give me my money in full or I’ll see you in court for double. 

7 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Imagine the scenario of him seriously hurting Eubanks. It's not totally out of the question, but believe me, there would be a furore, yet all that seems to matter is the money involved. 

When Ben Johnson failed a drug test he was sent home immediately in disgrace. Only in boxing could this nonsense be happening. 

It’s 1,000,000 miles away from the sport that captivated me as a young man. The whole rulebook needs rewriting

• Like 2

Why is boxing so dirty in all countries at all levels? I know all sports are attractive to dodgy money and cheating and gambling scams, but why has boxing never managed to clean it up at all? Something specific about the sport, or just a legacy that it can’t shake off?

11 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Why is boxing so dirty in all countries at all levels? I know all sports are attractive to dodgy money and cheating and gambling scams, but why has boxing never managed to clean it up at all? Something specific about the sport, or just a legacy that it can’t shake off?

Look at the sort of people involved in it.

45 minutes ago, Genie said:

I guess from the Benn / Hearn side of things it’s either:

1) Get the fight on hook or by crook. Both fighters and promoters get their money. It’ll be panned in the media but they don’t care.

2) Fight is off, Benn / Hearn camp earn nothing but owe millions to Eubank and probably a load of other organisations and TV companies who invested in the fight.

You can see why he’s going to push for 1).

If I was Eubank i’d refuse to fight a drug cheat, give me my money in full or I’ll see you in court for double. 

Eubank has them over a barrel now. Weight wise, should come in at whatever he wants. 

8 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I think it's to do with there not being one ruling organisation.

All different governing bodies different belt organisations different drug testing companies, alot of different organisations all competing against each other instead of working together

12 hours ago, KentVillan said:

The underworld. The most corrupt sport since sport began. 

5 hours ago, phily85 said:

I think it's to do with there not being one ruling organisation.

All different governing bodies different belt organisations different drug testing companies, alot of different organisations all competing against each other instead of working together

Ah, i dunno. They’d still find ways around it. Amateur boxing has a world governing body who are easily one of the most corrupt in sport. Cycling im sure is governed by a world body. Still dirty. Fighters have to own it. Simple as. Was listening to Frampton yesterday - said before when he had psoriasis he was offered a topical ointment which he refused. A world body won’t police it. It’s up to the fighter. 

• Like 1

Â