The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

22 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think Ortiz i s a good fight for Joyce, Joshua would be ideal, I think Wilder takes him, I just don't think he has the movement to stay away from him.

Usyk is in a strange place - there's really only Fury that's interesting for him and I think Fury beats him - so if he's after three fights he'll want Fury last. Canelo makes sense as a profitable spectacle, but beyond that, there's not much out there for him. I guess he could try Wilder, but Wilder is always a risk.

What do you reckon in a Ruiz Jr vs Joyce fight?

I think Joyce gets him late and similar to Parker. Parker and Ruiz are very similar in that they have decent technique and all round game but just lack that umpf to really stay at the top. Plus Parker has already beaten Ruiz over 12 rounds, although a close fight. 

I would personally like to see Joyce v Whyte or AJ though. I think them 2 fights would be interesting domestically. I want to see Joyce in deep water now which is weird for a pro novice 14 fights in, I think? The problem is, he is now contender level, so he'll have to buckle up because he won't get easy fights unless he makes them easy. 

I have to say I'm not a fan of Joyce, AJ or any of them tbh. It's an interesting division though because there are so many match ups that could be made that have the potential to be decent. I still want to see AJ v Wilder at some point tbh.  

3 hours ago, tinker said:

Would like to see him against Ruiz, be a great fight and would gain him some momentum stateside. 

It's scandalous the way Joyce has been denied a World title fight. It's even more galling when you see the likes of Chisora making himself busy, as if he hasn't already learnt a lesson from Fury.

Not once have I heard Fury or Usyk talking about Joyce as a viable opponent. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

It's scandalous the way Joyce has been denied a World title fight. It's even more galling when you see the likes of Chisora making himself busy, as if he hasn't already learnt a lesson from Fury.

Not once have I heard Fury or Usyk talking about Joyce as a viable opponent. 

He needs to fight in the states , my guess is they will love his style. Any fight he's in he puts it all on the line and makes the opposition step up as well There ain't no hiding and Parker found that out , he looked startled at times during the fight and turned away more than once. 

Woodhalls commentary was particularly bad , ignoring countless Joyce shots and concentrating on Parker's occasional flurries.

Your right, Joyce deserves a shot. 

1 hour ago, tinker said:

He needs to fight in the states , my guess is they will love his style. Any fight he's in he puts it all on the line and makes the opposition step up as well There ain't no hiding and Parker found that out , he looked startled at times during the fight and turned away more than once. 

Woodhalls commentary was particularly bad , ignoring countless Joyce shots and concentrating on Parker's occasional flurries.

Your right, Joyce deserves a shot. 

No wonder Parker looked demoralised, hitting your opponent full - blast on the chin and not even a hint of a wobble.

Exactly the same with Dubois, he didn't know what to do when he suddenly realised his punches had no effect, whatsoever, on Joyce. 

As good as Fury can be, it wouldn't surprise me in the least, were Joyce to beat him. The same goes with Usyk.

5 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

No wonder Parker looked demoralised, hitting your opponent full - blast on the chin and not even a hint of a wobble.

Exactly the same with Dubois, he didn't know what to do when he suddenly realised his punches had no effect, whatsoever, on Joyce. 

As good as Fury can be, it wouldn't surprise me in the least, were Joyce to beat him. The same goes with Usyk.

I agree with this. The HW is predominantly decided not by the biggest puncher, best technician but also by the dude with the best engine and most resilience. 

I think Joyce is pretty crude in many respects, but he does have that Foreman esq aura about him whereby he could smother and bludgeon anyone. I think he's quickly become the fighter nobody wants to tangle with, and I agree that Joyce would give him problems. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I would rate Joyce's chances of beating Fury only slightly better than mine.

Fury has to keep him at bay for twelve rounds. That means plenty of footwork because he's not going to deter him with punches. If he can withstand Parker and Dubois power without hardly blinking, then he certainly won't be bothered by Fury's power. .

Fury would have to be in tip - top condition to beat Joyce. If Wilder could connect, then so can Joyce, and when it comes to durability, there isn't a better heavyweight out there.

He has a far better chance than Joshua. 

Edited by sheepyvillian

38 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Hmm AJ hasnt acknowledged anything which is wierd.

But if they throw stupid money at fury he will take the fight

AJ has already said he will sign the Fury contract this morning. He mentioned his lawyers are currently reviewing it but that he will sign.  

1 hour ago, avfc1982am said:

I agree with this. The HW is predominantly decided not by the biggest puncher, best technician but also by the dude with the best engine and most resilience. 

I think Joyce is pretty crude in many respects, but he does have that Foreman esq aura about him whereby he could smother and bludgeon anyone. I think he's quickly become the fighter nobody wants to tangle with, and I agree that Joyce would give him problems. 

He does remind me of Foreman, can see Ali now doing his mummy impression. 

6 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Hmm AJ hasnt acknowledged anything which is wierd.

But if they throw stupid money at fury he will take the fight

I’d take what Fury said today with a pinch of salt. This is a guy who retired and unretired in the space of a week. Hearn and Warren said BT and DAZN had very positive talks today. Fight is very much still alive. 

• Thanks 1

The more I see of the Benn-Eubank build up, the more it looks to me like it's set up for a Benn win.

Eubank's approach is very casual, his dad won't go anywhere near the fight, we've got Eddie Hearn and his young money maker in one corner; I think Eubank is cashing out, I don't think he has the hunger for boxing any more and I think he sees this as a nice payoff to see off his career.

AJ and Fury as good as off then. Both sides blaming either other. But when Chisora receives a contract to fight Fury half way through negotiations, I know who the blagger must be. Fury and Chisora for real, no one wants to see that fight. Why is |Fury offering bums a pay day???

53 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

AJ and Fury as good as off then. Both sides blaming either other. But when Chisora receives a contract to fight Fury half way through negotiations, I know who the blagger must be. Fury and Chisora for real, no one wants to see that fight. Why is |Fury offering bums a pay day???

Because it's another easy win and payday for Fury. I mean, he's beat Chisora twice already and the second time humiliated him.

Both Matchroom and Queensbury are tosspots for even talking up Fury v Joshua and I am starting to think Matchroom weren't that interested because of AJ's contract with DAZN. Which is pretty worthless at the moment as he's now become irrelevant. Gives him chance to go away and try to be less robotic I suppose. Boxing promoters are all w******.

6 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Because it's another easy win and payday for Fury. I mean, he's beat Chisora twice already and the second time humiliated him.

Both Matchroom and Queensbury are tosspots for even talking up Fury v Joshua and I am starting to think Matchroom weren't that interested because of AJ's contract with DAZN. Which is pretty worthless at the moment as he's now become irrelevant. Gives him chance to go away and try to be less robotic I suppose. Boxing promoters are all w******.

I can guess Eddie Hearn wanted it.

Pay Day Money GIF

Â