The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

AJ's trainers need to take the blame for this. To try and out box a cruiser weight fighter of his boxing ability is ridiculous. He had shed to much weight and showed to much respect, toe to toe from the start at his natural fighting weight and he would knocked this guy out.

His corner men were useless as well. His right eye was damaged......they kept insisting he kept his left hand high to protect it, have I missed something because it made no sense at all to me and you could clearly hear this comment repeated over and over again.

For AJ to be his best he has go into the ring with no fear of losing and let rip from the start, not sit back and try no to lose.  

• Thanks 1

I think the only thing for AJ now is to blame his trainer and get someone else in, see if they can revive his career. He's a bit like a David Haye, not really beat any quality, although to be fair there has not really been any top fighters since Tyson, Lennox. Imagine putting him in with those pair, they would tear him to shreds.

I don't think the trainers have enough to work with other then power, look at Joshua's reaction when Michael Buffer said Usyk at the decision, he looked a little surprised, till then did he not know he'd been beat?

Joshua could have a prime Eddie Futch in his corner and still not beat Usyk, Joshua is a good heavy punching big heavyweight and is a 2 time world champ, he's no mug but sometimes there is just someone considerably better and you lose. Usyk beats him 10 times out of 10 and if his corner would let him, he could stop him, but you run the risk of getting caught if going at it that way.

He has fought Klitschko and the best journey men out there, the fact we are nearing the end of 2021 and he hasn't stepped in the ring with wilder or Fury should tell us something, for one thing or another in all camps they just haven't done it because maybe the Joshua people know where he stands against the other big names. Ending AJs career too quickly is not profitable. 

Expect to see him lose the re match and then go down the exhibition route, he'll probably fight the Paul brothers at the same time or something silly like that.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Bell rang 5 seconds before the end of the last round, saved AJ I think. Possible fractured eye socket. Hearn lining up the re-match already ££££££££

I don’t watch much boxing or particularly pay much attention to anything surrounding it, but the entire sport seems to be geared around £££.

The boxers seem to want to win, but mostly just want a lot of money. There’s a pride amongst them about “big fights” earning lots of money (a lot of the other pros commenting on Joshua after this saying things along this line).

It almost feels like a reverse horse racing. There, it’s all about gambling but not for the jockeys. Here, it’s all about takings for the boxers and their teams. 

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Bell rang 5 seconds before the end of the last round, saved AJ I think. Possible fractured eye socket. Hearn lining up the re-match already ££££££££

He just signed away his career to Matchroom the day before as well. lol

2 hours ago, Big Salad said:

Figured it was coming but still sucks.He is the main reason I got into boxing and my favorite of all time.We will miss you Pac Man😔

Yes, it comes to an end for them all eventually, he will be remembered forever, what a fighter. 

Sad that we didn't get to see a couple of fights that he should have had, nevermind.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Big Salad said:

Figured it was coming but still sucks.He is the main reason I got into boxing and my favorite of all time.We will miss you Pac Man😔

I wonder when his fight against retired Conor Mcgregor will be?

• Haha 2

Bbc podcast with Steve Bunce and Carl Frampton have a good review on AJ Usyk. Frampton is a very good pundit, picks up things from being in the game that others might not. He was saying Joshua wasn’t extending the jab fully and still had a good few inches to throw out. He said that happens when the fighter locks conviction and expects something to come back harder. AJ still mentally scarred from losing to Ruiz. 

37 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

First time I’d heard of him was the morning after he destroyed Barrera in the Alamadome in Texas. I didn’t watch it live. Barrera was a huge betting favourite. Nobody knew Pacquiao. Incredible fighter.

Oddly my most vivid memory of him is when he sparked Diaz and Diaz semi unconscious put his glove in the air to touch gloves with Manny  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Big Salad said:

Mine too for sure. Still think to this day he should have won the decision against Canelo in 2015.

It was tight and never as a  one sided a fight as the scorecards had you believe and not the first (or last) time Canelo has had, shall we say some 'interesting'  scorecards in his career. Of course would have nothing to do with Golden Boy being his promotor, oh no

Spoiler

Await full Johnnyp full denial and defence of all things ginger 🤣

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

Â