The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

Cotto is one of my favourite fighters ever 

Great fighter never ducked a challenge.

In regards to Joshua if he loses the rematch I can't see a way back for him at the elite level which might make him pack up and do strictly or something like that. His value would drop massively.

Makes you think is it all about the money. I mean these rematches make more money than the first fights, for the boxer, promoter and coaches?? 

I mean many have said, why would McCracken put AJ up to try out box arguably the best boxer in the business, an not even change the strategy or tell him he needs the knock out. Seems a strange one to me, as did the Ruiz fight. Is he just that cash cow for the Promoters and management.

Eubank fight off, that amateur geezer failed medical, or bottled it, Eubank said he needs to prove a point. Not doing Sky alot of good though. They are trying there best to re-market the boxing now Dazn is going for leader of the market.

Yeah. Apparently in the medical it turned out Eubank’s opponent was actually alive and capable of throwing a punch so the fight is off.  

What an absolute shitshow btw.  This was supposed to be Sky’s big comeback post Eddie. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Fury is trying to talk up Wilder now as I guess the ticket sales are not doing so well. More likely to be a Fury-Wilder IV than v AJ now.

Yeah, especially if Wilder wins.

Re-watched the Eubank vs Benn fight yesterday. What a fight that was, you would never have thought Eubank would take him, Benn was a proper animal. I always have to remember, with all his flamboyant crazy attitude out of the ring, he was some serious boxer. The kinda guy though you would probably fall out with in the pub for being toff, an then he would quite easily level you for being rude.🤣

I think you've got Eubank Sr all wrong.  He grew up in Kingston (Jamaica), Peckham & The Bronx.  He lived in some real rough arse places and was a killer in the ring.  The whole "posh" thing was an act to get him noticed, and you have to say it worked. 

• Like 1

I was at Benn vs Eubank, working at the NEC, I'd never seen boxing live before and a friend and I had gone down to the Arena floor to have a look. I remember being blown away by how brutal it was - it was an incredibly fierce contest between two absolutely brilliant fighters - Eubank had a granite chin and an iron will, I loved watching his career and I've always liked the weird character that he built himself.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I was at Benn vs Eubank, working at the NEC, I'd never seen boxing live before and a friend and I had gone down to the Arena floor to have a look. I remember being blown away by how brutal it was - it was an incredibly fierce contest between two absolutely brilliant fighters - Eubank had a granite chin and an iron will, I loved watching his career and I've always liked the weird character that he built himself.

Went to the rematch at Old Trafford, 55,000 there, Was  electric and  got a bit tasty after the result was called

2 hours ago, The_Rev said:

I think you've got Eubank Sr all wrong.  He grew up in Kingston (Jamaica), Peckham & The Bronx.  He lived in some real rough arse places and was a killer in the ring.  The whole "posh" thing was an act to get him noticed, and you have to say it worked. 

As was driving an articulated lorry around Brighton like a normal car. I have always had him down as a little bit nuts

6 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Re-watched the Eubank vs Benn fight yesterday. What a fight that was, you would never have thought Eubank would take him, Benn was a proper animal. I always have to remember, with all his flamboyant crazy attitude out of the ring, he was some serious boxer. The kinda guy though you would probably fall out with in the pub for being toff, an then he would quite easily level you for being rude.🤣

Always loved Christopher Livingstone Eubank, one of the greatest characters to grace a boxing ring, and certainly one of the toughest. With a chin made off granite and an indomitable will to win, I really don't think Eubank gets the credit he deserves.  

How he won that second fight against Watson is still a thing of having to see it to believe it. I don't think I've ever seen a more devastating uppercut. What a tragedy that such a great fight at to end in such a heartbreaking way. 

And let's have it right, that boy knew how to dress. Voted best dressed man for 10 yrs in a row, how can you not love dear, old English. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

As was driving an articulated lorry around Brighton like a normal car. I have always had him down as a little bit nuts

He loved all that. Let's not forget how he stood up in protest to the Iraq war, and, trust me, that was mo gimmick. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

He loved all that. Let's not forget how he stood up in protest to the Iraq war, and, trust me, that was mo gimmick. 

A Great British Eccentric. He learnt boxing the hard way in New York as a kid, the rest was just entertainment to put bums on seats.

Had Joshua shown even a quarter of Eubanks' bottle in the 2 Thompson fights  last week he could have well won it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Had Joshua shown even a quarter of Eubanks' bottle in the 2 Thompson fights  last week he could have well won it.

I forgot about those two fights. He had to be literally restrained from going back out to

And that eye ! What a sight. Fwiw, I actually think he won the first fight.

6 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I forgot about those two fights. He had to be literally restrained from going back out to

And that eye ! What a sight. Fwiw, I actually think he won the first fight.

Happened again in the rematch as it was only a 3 month gap between the fights, plus Thompson was the naturally bigger fighter.

Looking forward to the Fowler and Smibh fight.  Don't know why, but I have a sneaky feeling that Fowler might just edge it. Shane Mcguigan is now Fowler's trainer and he has a reputation for being able to improve his fighters. Taylor, Groves and Okolie all spring to mind. He might just be able to instill the self - belief that Fowler will require to pull this off.

Â