The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

18 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

An MMA fighting record is always going to look less impressive than a boxing one because there is so many more ways to lose.

Exactly. the funniest thing is when Mayweather says he would never quit and he is boasting about that. How many MMA fights have you had flloyd? 

19 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Exactly. the funniest thing is when Mayweather says he would never quit and he is boasting about that. How many MMA fights have you had flloyd? 

Mayweather would quit in every MMA fight and he knows it.

10 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

Mayweather would quit in every MMA fight and he knows it.

I dont think even think it would get to that stage, he would be knocked out within a couple minutes i think !

1 hour ago, sexbelowsound said:

An MMA fighting record is always going to look less impressive than a boxing one because there is so many more ways to lose.

It's not even that really, it's more that UFC domination of the sport is good for the fans. Current MMA, and I'll admit I'm not the closest follower of it, reminds me a lot of the glory days of pro boxing from the 1950s to the 1980s when there wasn't a hundred organisations with a hundred championships and any half talented fighter was free to do their own thing like they are today. You've got one champion per weight, if a fighter wants to be part of that scene then he fights other contenders and if he wants to be champion then he defends it. It means more equally matched fighters meeting each other and greatness is achieved by beating other great fighters.  You don't get people going undefeated because they are able to dictate terms (hi Floyd) or cherry pick opponents but it doesn't matter. Having big wins over big fighters who are in their prime does more for someone's legacy than going undefeated throughout your career. Look at fighters like Joe Calzaghe, Rocky Marciano, Sven Ottke and Floyd Mayweather. All career undefeated world champions, I think it's only Mayweather who is even a part of the conversation when people are talking seriously about all time greatness. 

edit: 

Oh, and I'm sure at some point MMA will go the same way as boxing did, you'll get a pool of fighters who feel they are bigger than the UFC and their names mean they will be able to assemble a card and put on a show and all of a sudden there are a ton of independent promotions, TV exclusivity deals and world titles. I know there are other promotions right now but they are still seen as the minor leagues where people cut their teeth before going to UFC. It might be in twenty years time but a credible breakaway will almost certainly happen eventually. The sport probably wont be as much fun to watch then as it is now when everybody is stuck with each other. 

Edited by The_Rev
  • Like 1

On 7/13/2017 at 12:19, Genie said:

I'd love to see CM sparked out inside the first round and then for him to vanish. I suspect that win, lose or draw Mcgregor will hang around like a bad smell being all extravagant with his wealth. Its a shame that its such a stupid pay cheque he's unlikely to end up broke any time soon as I could imagine him doing a "Mike Tyson" with his money.

I think Floyd is more likely to end up broke. Rumours are he's spunked most of his money away already and needs this fight for the payday. Why else would he take it?

Always found Mayweather very tacky in his displays of wealth. 

57 minutes ago, Xela said:

I think Floyd is more likely to end up broke. Rumours are he's spunked most of his money away already and needs this fight for the payday. Why else would he take it?

Always found Mayweather very tacky in his displays of wealth. 

Related image

May weather might have money but is verbal come back lines are so lame. Why is he even talking about fighting in the pentagon? He would never have the guts to fight mayweather in a mama fight.

it would be a bloodbath fir Floyd and he knows it

a couple of decent fighters (Canelo, Pacquiao, Hatton) have all tried...and failed!!! Mayweather is awful to watch but doesn't get hit!!! Mayweather has won most of his fights through not getting hit, not actually 'fighting' anyone!! No where close to being one of the best....the best stood and had a fight!!

5 hours ago, The_Rev said:

I can't see the United States Department of Defence allowing that to happen even if Floyd were being serious. 

Absolutely, if it was a real fight mayweather would get killed. Like I have always said mayweather will win this fight easily, but mcgregor would do better in a boxing fight than mayweather would in a mma fight

58 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Absolutely, if it was a real fight mayweather would get killed. Like I have always said mayweather will win this fight easily, but mcgregor would do better in a boxing fight than mayweather would in a mma fight

I don't know enough about mma, but are "boxers" in there or not (I know there's a few wrestlers etc)?  If so, how do they generally fare?

7 hours ago, wiggyrichard said:

a couple of decent fighters (Canelo, Pacquiao, Hatton) have all tried...and failed!!! Mayweather is awful to watch but doesn't get hit!!! Mayweather has won most of his fights through not getting hit, not actually 'fighting' anyone!! No where close to being one of the best....the best stood and had a fight!!

Castillo outboxed Mayweather in their first fight and got robbed, worth watching if you want to see Mayweather 'lose'.

Â