The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

yeah kind of, in the same kind of way that mcgregor said he'd bet his purse on him winning

neither have any chance of happening

Ah, I heard people saying he had said it but I couldn't actually find that part of the press conference. 

Floyd's trash talking game has never been good, he's trying his best but he will never compete with Conor in that sense. I find the entire thing embarrassing really, two grown men trading playground insults, one better than the other, all gets very boring very quickly. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Floyd's trash talking game has never been good, he's trying his best but he will never compete with Conor in that sense. I find the entire thing embarrassing really, two grown men trading playground insults, one better than the other, all gets very boring very quickly. 

I dunno I found it hilarious to be honest. Mcgregor might not win the fight but mayweather has no chance in a verbal match against him.

the whole quitting thing from mayweather was embarrassing considering he has never had a UFC fight. Mayweather woukd be quitting in a whole load of those fights 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I agree. This format feels so forced. I know it's a boxing bout but they should have incorporated the best parts of both sports in the build up. I'd love to have seen these done like UFC press conferences.

The fact that they had to cut Conor's microphone during the first one was ridiculous. 

19 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Genuine question. Why is McGregor classed as a legend by some? His record isn't that good is it?

He has never defended a title either but he is a loud mouth and brilliant for the casual sports fan who are usually idiots. Some of his behaviour is embarrassing

I have been hoping he says something stupid that the fight gets cancelled

• Like 3

What  a pussy mayweather is. Anyone see him get those big guys to try intimidate Mcgregor? Embarrassing.  

Bodybuilders would have no chance against trained fighters

Edited by Demitri_C

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

What  a pussy mayweather is. Anyone see him get those big guys to try intimidate Mcgregor? Embarrassing.  

Bodybuilders would have no chance against trained fighters

It's a show.

Honestly this shit can't finish soon enough.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Genuine question. Why is McGregor classed as a legend by some? His record isn't that good is it?

He's a good self promoter who has won some fights in eye catching fashion.

He's arguably not even that great of an MMA fighter. But he's basically the only fighter in the UFC who can sell a fight like the best boxers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

He's a good self promoter who has won some fights in eye catching fashion.

He's arguably not even that great of an MMA fighter. But he's basically the only fighter in the UFC who can sell a fight like the best boxers.

I disagree about that. You can't win two UFC belts at two different levels and not be great 

• Like 1

MMA is well out of my comfort zone, so more than happy to defer to the experts on here on all things McGregor and MMA. However from (naive) perspective, it doesn't seem that McGregor has been around long enough/ dominated enough to be called a 'great'. For me, guys like Jon Jones, Anderson Silva, BJ Penn and Emelianenko, GSP seem to have just done a lot more vs a McGregor. 

Yes McGregor's destruction of Aldo was super impressive, especially given Aldo often comes into that greatest of all time conversation, but who else has he actually beaten? Guys like Mendes and Alvarez just strike me as solid guys and nothing overly special. He was then clearly overmatched in both fights with Diaz, losing the first and going life and death in the second and barely winning. 

In boxing terms he's like Naseem Hamed, clearly very good at what he does (and Hamed probably does have a better claim to being a 'great' than McGregor) and has done a lot of good things, but not an undisputed great and largely is where he is because of his personality, exciting style and showmanship. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

that to me is the difference between MMA and what is currently going on with boxing, there doesnt seem to be much record padding in UFC, they take and lose fights, it what it is, he's not judged on his record, to be fair he's not really going to be judged on his fighting either...its timing, make no doubt about it the popularity of UFC was growing anyway, brock lesnar created a jump, they bought a couple of rivals bringing more fighters and fans, they put a better TV deal in place meaning they go pre and post event coverage, they set up the women and ronda was really popular...and then connor came along...there was a $4bn buy out of UFC with connor as the main draw, if you look at PPV sales of UFC he has 3 of the top 5, he's money

when all the dust has settled his "legend" status will be because of the growth of MMA and because of his popularity rather than because of the fights, no one has taken it mainstream like connor is, said before he spent just as much time going after the WWE as he did mayweather

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

MMA is well out of my comfort zone, so more than happy to defer to the experts on here on all things McGregor and MMA. However from (naive) perspective, it doesn't seem that McGregor has been around long enough/ dominated enough to be called a 'great'. For me, guys like Jon Jones, Anderson Silva, BJ Penn and Emelianenko, GSP seem to have just done a lot more vs a McGregor. 

Yes McGregor's destruction of Aldo was super impressive, especially given Aldo often comes into that greatest of all time conversation, but who else has he actually beaten? Guys like Mendes and Alvarez just strike me as solid guys and nothing overly special. He was then clearly overmatched in both fights with Diaz, losing the first and going life and death in the second and barely winning. 

In boxing terms he's like Naseem Hamed, clearly very good at what he does (and Hamed probably does have a better claim to being a 'great' than McGregor) and has done a lot of good things, but not an undisputed great and largely is where he is because of his personality, exciting style and showmanship. 

For being out of your comfort zone you have a, IMO, very solid grasp on things. He has time on his side to be a great but he has to stop **** about and start defending his titles. I think he really cleaned out at 145 before knocking out Aldo, there was no one left, even though Holloway would be a total different beast this time. At 155 he has a ton of guys to fight.

But to put him at great right now,? Naah! Getting there though, and making bank while doing it

• Like 1

Â