The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

You think spence would? Not so sure about that. Trust this Pauline mcgregor is all lined up for next fight for mcgregor. This is all 100% staged by paulie and McGregor

Yes, he'd destroy Mayweather. Mayweather is old and significantly declined, no where near what he was, basically a shell of himself at this stage. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Cotto looked very sharp last night. Whilst Kamegai is very basic with virtually zero defence, using his face as a shield, he nevertheless has a relentless style which puts you under a lot of pressure. He is always coming forward throwing punches in volume and is hard to stop because he absorbs damage so well. This sort of style can be horrible for a 36 year old, no matter how good they are/were. Cotto adapted himself very well, his legs looked good and his counterpunching and combinations super sharp. His right hand has improved dramatically under Roach showing you can teach an old dog new tricks as Cotto was always a one handed fighter. 

He is apparently seeking the winner of Golovkin/ Canelo next. Assuming GGG wins that I really would not want to see an old Cotto getting massacred inside the distance but if that's how he wants to go out then so be it. He is not especially powerful at 154lbs+ and his legs will not be good enough to keep Golovkin off of him.  

40 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

If you disregard Lennox Lewis, McGregor probably earned more last night than every british boxer combined has in their career. Madness really

How much did he actually earn? I read £30m purse but then can get more from PPV revenues? What actually is the expected figure? I also doubt the PPV numbers will be as high as expected. 

I'd say that earning more than every British boxer in history (outside of Lewis) is wrong. Prince Naseem reportedly earned £30m from boxing alone. Amir Khan has made a lot of money, probably more than £20m, Ricky Hatton has an estimated career prize money of £37m. Of course a lot of this has to be adjusted for inflation. So I doubt when you add up all british boxers he will have made more from this fight.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

I'd question those sums. It's widely believed that there was a minimum of $30m for the purse plus a cut of PPV and the like.  Conor would have sold a lot of the interest in the PPV and would probably get a good percentage but I doubt we will ever find out exactly how much. What he earned last night was mega fight money though, I'm not sure if that kind of money will be in the line again for a long time if Floyd actually retires this time. The only person who could come close is Canelo and his lack of English is costing him in terms of global appeal. 

On 8/27/2017 at 19:58, The_Rev said:

I'd question those sums. It's widely believed that there was a minimum of $30m for the purse plus a cut of PPV and the like.  Conor would have sold a lot of the interest in the PPV and would probably get a good percentage but I doubt we will ever find out exactly how much. What he earned last night was mega fight money though, I'm not sure if that kind of money will be in the line again for a long time if Floyd actually retires this time. The only person who could come close is Canelo and his lack of English is costing him in terms of global appeal. 

I honestly don't see him reaching near that, especially after Golovkin beats him. Canelo is popular, but has nothing like the popular of a Chavez Snr. Anthony Joshua could be the one, although he's not exactly in a division with a lot of quality. Boxing certainly doesnt have much in the way of 'stars' right now. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Joshua is going to be the only one making really big money out of boxing but there isnt really anyone exciting/big for him to fight which will hurt him.

Other than Wilder who isn't hugely known outside of boxing (Would even question how known he actually is outside of Alabama, Struggles even then to sell out a 17,000 hometown arena and ppv numbers are 500,000 or less) or a rematch against Whyte the heavyweight division is full of fat old men & eastern europeans that nobody knows/cares about.

As champion he will easily get an 80/20 (or more) split of any purse and Eddie Hearn will pretty much give him whatever he likes to keep him happy as a cut of the PPV but without the glitz & glamour in the division the really crazy money simply isn't there.

4 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Joshua is going to be the only one making really big money out of boxing but there isnt really anyone exciting/big for him to fight which will hurt him.

Other than Wilder who isn't hugely known outside of boxing (Would even question how known he actually is outside of Alabama, Struggles even then to sell out a 17,000 hometown arena and ppv numbers are 500,000 or less) or a rematch against Whyte the heavyweight division is full of fat old men & eastern europeans that nobody knows/cares about.

As champion he will easily get an 80/20 (or more) split of any purse and Eddie Hearn will pretty much give him whatever he likes to keep him happy as a cut of the PPV but without the glitz & glamour in the division the really crazy money simply isn't there.

Apart from stirven who has wilder fought? He wont even fight dilian whyte who is probably better than everyone he has beaten so far. I am not suprised he pulls those sort of numbers.

Thats why if a fight happens i expect joshua to win as he has been in with good fighters and is getting the experience. Even molina hurt wilder and Joshua destroyed him.

3 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Joshua Pulev on then. Guessing that's a Joshua win?

I would say so although pulevs only loss was against klitscko so no shame there.  Could be a potential banana skin.

Hopefully wilder will grow some balls  and fight someone worthwhile like ortiz then that would setup a fight between joshua and wilder next year. I think if wilder keeps taking these lame fights when he does step in the ring with joshua he is going to find it tough as never been in the ring with someone like Joshua.  

If wilder wont go for ortiz id be interested to see him go up against andre ward. Someone who is a excellent technical boxer, although not as big as wilder.

Edited by Demitri_C

2 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

More importantly - who cares?

Boxing is very stale at the moment, once GGG - Canelo is done theres really not much on the horizon at all to look forward to.

1 hour ago, AVFCDAN said:

More importantly - who cares?

Boxing is very stale at the moment, once GGG - Canelo is done theres really not much on the horizon at all to look forward to.

Disagree, there's a great weekend coming up. Roman Gonzalez vs Wangek 2 should be great as the first fight was fight of the year so far for me. Stacked undercard too Estrada vs Cuadras and Inoue's US debut. Also, the crusierweight tournament is kicking off this weekend with Usyk vs Huck, should be a very good fight and more to come from that tournament. 

Maybe boxing is lacking the big time cross-over fights but then the sport is lacking those sorts of cross over stars right now. 

I gave up on football and lost all interest when it got to the point that I couldn't afford to go down and watch the Villa play

Unfortunately boxing is going the same way

Mayweather v Mcgregor - £20 
AJ v Pulev - £20
Eubank Jr v Yildirim - £18
Groves v Cox  - £18
First semi final of the WBS series - £18
Second semi final of the WBS series - £18
Final of the WBS series - £18

Sky Sports - £25 a month
BoxNation - £12 a month

and the real piss take is Hughie Fury v Joseph Parker for £10 on YouTube

Now I didn't pay for Mayweather v McGregor but if it was just on Sky minus the PPV then I definitely would have watched it.

I have a modicum of interest in all of the above fights and don't particularly want to miss any of them, that doesn't mean that I believe that they warrant a PPV platform.

all of the above comes to £177, I make a point of watching as much live boxing as possible and I stay up till the early hours regularly to watch the fights from America.

The way PPV is going now though I am going to be missing an absolute load of fights because I can't afford to watch them, which is a shame because I am an actual boxing fan, I watch everyone from Teddy Cheeseman to Roman Gonzalez to Bradley Skeete to Vijender Singh whenever they are on TV.

6 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

All Pulev has is a jab, his jab may give Joshua something to think about but essentially he is a fairly easy target to hit as he pull straight back and doesn't move his head. Wladimir absolutely demonlished him with a very aggressive display, you'd think Joshua will do the same. 

Haye vs bellew talks back on. Not really interested in that. Haye didbt realky do much to bellew last time round. His best days look over.

Would prefer bellew vs ward to be honest. With winner fighting wilder/ortiz before setting up superfight with joshua

13 hours ago, AshVilla said:

Just noticed Frampton's new trainer is Jamie Moore

Bit shit isn't it, i can see his career taking a right nosedive now.

I'm not sure what his aversion to an experienced trainer is. Before Moore is was Shane McGuigan. He might be better boxer now if he would have had a 'world class' trainer for his weight division(s). 

49 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Bellew and Ward wouldn't even be a close contest.

At least with Haye Bellew there would be a lot of shit thrown around again to at least make things entertaining

Ward doesn't have the power to knock Bellew out though but Bellew could knock Ward out. Ward is  afar more intelligent boxer though so would make an interesting fight 

Â