The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I literally cannot believe anyone would pay money for that.

Im expecting paul will opt for diaz next someone that cant box at all to rebuold his career.

Im happy they didnt rig it. Stunned one judge gave it to paul who was shit most of the fight

Judge was American… I’m shocked it’s allowed to have a judge from the nation of not just one of the fighters but also the promoter. It was shown up for the farce it is and why any serious boxer would never agree to it.

Whatever happened if it went to points Jake Paul was always going to get at least a split decision to rant about.

20 minutes ago, Genie said:

Judge was American… I’m shocked it’s allowed to have a judge from the nation of not just one of the fighters but also the promoter. It was shown up for the farce it is and why any serious boxer would never agree to it.

Whatever happened if it went to points Jake Paul was always going to get at least a split decision to rant about.

Yes i didnt get that. One from the states and not one from uk. Ridiculous 

Not sure why they dobt just have three judges that are from neither coubtry is beyond me.

I seriously cannot fathom why he has such a big following.him and his brothers both unlikeable cretins

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think there was only about 2 or 3 big clean punches in the entire 8 rounds. I feel for anyone mugged out of £19.95.

It was when they got close the lack of quality was apparent,  neither can fight on the inside.  I suppose that's why they had the weird points deductions for general rubbishness and holding.

For free It was entertaining enough for the 8 rounds I suppose.

A proper boxer would knock both of them into orbit in 2 rounds though. 

• Like 1

The only thing that surprised me was the fact that one of the judges somehow scored it for Paul. 

I've seen a lot of people saying how well he did because he hung in there with a pro boxer for 8 rounds, but it really wasn't close at all (and Tommy Fury isn't a very good boxer).

It just proves what we already knew - Tommy Fury still isn't really very good, and Jake Paul got dismantled when he finally fought an actual boxer. At least we know his level now, and I'm sure he'll go back to fighting older MMA fighters or Youtubers (unless he takes the rematch, which I'd advise against tbh).

37 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

It was when they got close the lack of quality was apparent,  neither can fight on the inside.  I suppose that's why they had the weird points deductions for general rubbishness and holding.

For free It was entertaining enough for the 8 rounds I suppose.

A proper boxer would knock both of them into orbit in 2 rounds though. 

That's what exposed it as an amateur fight, no work at all on the inside. To be fair the ref could have told them to work out of the clinch a few times to remind them that was an option.

• Like 1

Can't wait for Davis - Garcia and the return of real boxing. That promises to be a tremendous fight.

I really like Tank (as dislikable as he may be) but I think there are signs he might be on the decline - I still fancy him to take that one though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TreeVillan said:

I'm curious, what makes somebody a real boxer apart from boxing someone in a boxing ring in an official boxing match? Does it only count if they're really good at it? 

For me, it’s someone who has gone through the amateur ranks, racked up numerous fights and training camps. Then gone into the professional game. 

The post that you quoted was saying how it’s unfair on others these 2 getting a top 40 ranking. Jake Paul has fought no one of any stature for him to be given that accolade. I do t know Fury’s record to know if he has, but it just feels that off the back of a highly publicised fights they would be given the chance to jump up the rankings ahead of more deserving boxers. 

As for the bolded part, not even sure why you have mentioned that. But to be ranked top 40 I. The world, then yes I’d say they have to be really good.

7 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

For me, it’s someone who has gone through the amateur ranks, racked up numerous fights and training camps. Then gone into the professional game. 

I feel like it's been slightly unfair on Tommy. Yeah he was on reality TV but his boxing career had started before that.

He might not be very good, and his reality TV stint has elevated him to a status beyond his ability, but he's more of a boxer than people are giving him credit for. I have no idea what his amateur record was like, but give his pro career started before anyone knew who he was I assume it was legit to get him that far.

I think there's a difference between Fury, a professional boxer who isn't that good; and Paul who is a YouTube star who has used his fame to get him fights at an elevated level

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I feel like it's been slightly unfair on Tommy. Yeah he was on reality TV but his boxing career had started before that.

He might not be very good, and his reality TV stint has elevated him to a status beyond his ability, but he's more of a boxer than people are giving him credit for. I have no idea what his amateur record was like, but give his pro career started before anyone knew who he was I assume it was legit to get him that far.

I think there's a difference between Fury, a professional boxer who isn't that good; and Paul who is a YouTube star who has used his fame to get him fights at an elevated level

That’s fair and I’d agree. 

But I’d say that it still seems unfair that he’s elevated to top 40 ranking based off this fight with Paul.

4 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

But I’d say that it still seems unfair that he’s elevated to top 40 ranking based off this fight with Paul.

Yeah not denying that. I don't know how the rankings work to be honest but that doesn't seem fair at all.

Also the fact they invented a belt for that match last night is mental

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TreeVillan said:

I'm curious, what makes somebody a real boxer apart from boxing someone in a boxing ring in an official boxing match? Does it only count if they're really good at it? 

However you flip it. It takes a certain amount of courage to go inside those ropes and let your hands go.

• Like 1

Don't really know anything about boxing but are you not supposed to move your feet in the ring? From watching a bit of the "highlights" Paul looked like the Villa version of Joleon Lescott. Looked frozen to the spot. Was he out of gas or it is how he normally fights?

15 minutes ago, sne said:

Don't really know anything about boxing but are you not supposed to move your feet in the ring? From watching a bit of the "highlights" Paul looked like the Villa version of Joleon Lescott. Looked frozen to the spot. Was he out of gas or it is how he normally fights?

This is whyTommy Fury won, he was just the better boxer. Paul boxes like you would on the street, without any real pro boxer skill and knowhow, zero natural ability. A quicker boxer would have put him to sleep within the first round. 

He could never handle a live one, I would like to see Chisora in with him, again not a great boxer, but would certainly scare the shit out of him,  an make him think twice about a boxing career. 😂

• Like 1

Â