PL: Burnley a Match Thread 2009/11/21 15:00

limpid

I genuinely think that against a team like Burnley you play into their hands using a player like NRC, you need a bit more guile to beat them in midfield and have someone dictate the game. Against a better team, and against other types of teams, NRC has his uses, but not today for me.

And to be fair, Petrovs the captain, of course he's coming back in.

I don't agree, West Ham struggling, Wolves very poor, we didn't win these games with abit of gyle, nor does Petrov ever dictate a game?

Need more guile to beat them in midfield? Not watch our last game where we played Bolton and beat them with our most convincing win since April 2008 with two players who aren't so creative?

We beat Bolton because they're defence was/is shit IMO, not because we won a midfield battle. There barely was a battle.

Burnley at home will be tougher and will be quite solid at the back I suspect, we'll need someone with more footballing skill than NRC, and Petrov is that player. And he does dictate games at times, he is quite capable of looking up and pinging the ball, not the lie you that you're putting about he only passes 10 yards backwards. He's got a pretty decent range of passing in all honesty.

Anyway, lets just enjoy the game. Good to see Downing on the bench, bit of a surprise.

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And all of the sudden, with Downing's inclusion, we finally have someone on the bench capable of coming in and changing the game for us. Too often this season (I'm thinking of Blackburn and Wolves in particular, although I'm sure there are more examples), we've been stuck in a draw with nobody on the bench to come on and give us an extra attacking threat. I rate Heskey perhaps a bit more than quite a few of our fans, but he's not a player to come on as an impact substitute. I can see this game being 1-1 with about 75 minutes to go and then Downing coming on to create or even score the winner - exciting news!

The weekly Barrys Boots/AVFC PoB v Dappadan/Big John divide starts again. Im with the first two

:lol:

If we lose and petrov has a stinker i'll be on and say MON got it wrong, but for me right now it's not that big a deal.

As they say, this.

disappointed reo-coker is not playing, but come on some of the comments people are making are stupid, petrov shit? i dont think so, he is a best midfielder at keeping poccession and at passing the ball. as for sidwell as well if you watch the games you will see the amount of work he puts in. Guess we'll see if its the right decision at the end of the game.

other comments like i hope he comes back to haunt MON are stupid as well, i dont want any player to come back to haunt is if there playing against us.

anyway chuffed to see downing on the bench, had a feeling he might be back a lot sooner after reading earlier in the week in the mail. about him. Hope he gets a run out and makes a impact if hes ready.

I genuinely think that against a team like Burnley you play into their hands using a player like NRC, you need a bit more guile to beat them in midfield and have someone dictate the game. Against a better team, and against other types of teams, NRC has his uses, but not today for me.

And to be fair, Petrovs the captain, of course he's coming back in.

I don't agree, West Ham struggling, Wolves very poor, we didn't win these games with abit of gyle, nor does Petrov ever dictate a game?

Need more guile to beat them in midfield? Not watch our last game where we played Bolton and beat them with our most convincing win since April 2008 with two players who aren't so creative?

We beat Bolton because they're defence was/is shit IMO, not because we won a midfield battle. There barely was a battle.

Burnley at home will be tougher and will be quite solid at the back I suspect, we'll need someone with more footballing skill than NRC, and Petrov is that player. And he does dictate games at times, he is quite capable of looking up and pinging the ball, not the lie you that you're putting about he only passes 10 yards backwards. He's got a pretty decent range of passing in all honesty.

Anyway, lets just enjoy the game. Good to see Downing on the bench, bit of a surprise.

We counter attack far better with players such as Reo-Coker and Sidwell because they force the opposition to give the ball away more often and win the ball back in midfield more regularly meaning we can get out wide or upto the strikers who are in one on one situations with defenders rather than win the ball back deep in our half, give it Petrov who plays it backwards and then in the end were forced long and lose the ball.

I'll watch Petrov today and count the amount of times he makes a decisive pass that someone like Reo-Coker or Sidwell couldn't make, after all he's in the team because he can apparently make these passes and if he doesn't make these passes, he becomes useless to us which half the time he is.

If that is what you believe I am not going to have a go - and to a certain extent agree.

The thing I want to ask is why you refer to "your" ?

Anything to do with the Villa is mine , ours etc...

So who are you and where are you from

"tonesinkent" rarely posts on anything other than NRC and makes clear he is a friend of Nigel (or maybe his brother is).

I've never had the impression he is a friend of Aston Villa.

By the way, I do hope I'm really wrong, If you know my posts, I do support Mon alot but I don't agree with this decision at all. I only post what I'm posting because I care about Villa getting 3 points and I think this hampers our chances of getting those 3 points.

yeah exactly, i'm also not in the strange camp that thinks petrov is shit. I just think MON deploys him incorrectly, and it gets on my tits to the point that I almost couldn't care less about the result. In my opinion, MON deserves to lose with stubborness like this.

And I prepare to be shot down in flames by that last comment.

By the way, I do hope I'm really wrong, If you know my posts, I do support Mon alot but I don't agree with this decision at all. I only post what I'm posting because I care about Villa getting 3 points and I think this hampers our chances of getting those 3 points.

You don't half go on about it though

I think it should be Petrov and NRC, and I think NRC has copped an unfair deal lately, but I will wait till after the game to criticise. Petrov is much better in midfield than NRC and Sidwell but NRC is better than Sidwell.

We are not the manager, we don't know what goes on NRC might put no effort in in training where as others work hard, it is not for us to judge or at least not until after the game.

I agree with you mate seriously I just don't understand why people get so vexed before a game.

I can't wait to watch Villa doesn't matter who is playing if MON is wrong I will say that after the game.

Sit back and enjoy football mate