PL: Burnley a Match Thread 2009/11/21 15:00

limpid

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Petrov > Sidwell, certain people just need to accept that.

It;s your opinion and for what it's worth I agree with you to some extent but who would I rather see in the starting line up? Steve Sidwell, suits our play so much more, 2 hard working, energetic, hard running central midfielder can retain possesion and win the ball in midfield and let our wide players and forward players do what they can do. Petrov just slows the game down for us.

I litterally never see Sidwell do anything though... he doesn't do anything in attack and anything in defence, he just feels like a waste of space and he's had his chance to impress MON and he hasn't really done it. His miss from the rebound from Milner's penalty two weeks ago just somes up Steve Sidwell for me... just not good enough.

I know people don't like hearing this, but what we're effectively doing right now is replacing Barry with Sidwell which is why it's severely weakened our midfield. You just can't do that and the longer MON insists shoe-horning Sidwell into the side, the longer it'll be before we make some real progression. Petrov was our best player last season and has shown how good he can be, Sidwell has not yet shown that ability and I hope I'm wrong, but my mind is pretty much made up regarding Steve Sidwell.

I'm with you AVFC PoB. NRC and Sidders for me. That Bolton performance shows for me what a high energy athletic CM pairing can do as a platform for our front four. It is by far the best performance I have seen at VP this calendar year. And Bolton weren't great but then neither are a lot of the teams we have played recently but we haven't got anywhere near to dominating them in the way we did a couple of weeks ago.

I can see MON switching back to Stan, which will be a disgrace IMO and a real blow to the principle that you play well you own the shirt, and us producing another turgid display as we have in the last four away games. I hope that I am wrong but I am not expecting much.

Petrov really isn't as shit as some like to make out.

Do you really think his team mates would have voted for him as the best player and be happy to play under him as captain if he really was shit and was costing us points?

Happy to play under him as captain, why do the players decide who is captain i thought that was MON?

Will be a good marker to all tomorrow, play well and you will be dropped as soon as my favourites come back in!

Not entirely true, but certainly an element of it.

If we win who cares, if we loose....

Do you really think MON would pick a captain that the other players didn't respect? And if petrov was as wank as some on here try to make out he is i can't imagine many players having much respect for him.

Do you really think his team mates would have voted for him as the best player and be happy to play under him as captain if he really was shit and was costing us points?

Happy to play under him as captain, why do the players decide who is captain i thought that was MON?

Will be a good marker to all tomorrow, play well and you will be dropped as soon as my favourites come back in!

Do you really think MON would pick a captain that the other players didn't respect? And if petrov was as wank as some on here try to make out he is i can't imagine many players having much respect for him.

I think the Petrov captaincy conveniently fell into place at the time having been a consistent player last season, and MON can't really turn back on that decision now. As Barry had left, Friedel was too old, Carew went to strip clubs, Davies too young and injury prone and NRC had been unfairly shunned to the point of non-existence. Now, I think NRC and Dunne would make better captains than Petrov, and benefit the team in the long run.

Nevertheless, I would play Stan today, in a 4-5-1

Apparently in a paper this morning MON suggested he might have to make an 'unpopular' choice in his team selection. Anyone guess what that might be?

Obviously it's to shoehorn Petrov in. I think it might be alluding to leaving Carew on the bench to go 451?

I think the Petrov captaincy conveniently fell into place at the time having been a consistent player last season, and MON can't really turn back on that decision now. As Barry had left, Friedel was too old, Carew went to strip clubs, Davies too young and injury prone and NRC had been unfairly shunned to the point of non-existence. Now, I think NRC and Dunne would make better captains than Petrov, and benefit the team in the long run.

Nevertheless, I would play Stan today, in a 4-5-1

I think there may be better options as captain but MON still wouldn't have made him captain if he was shit, made other players around him shit and cost us points because he is one of the most unfit players in the league. All of which has been suggested on VT.

Yeah AVFC, I would have no complaints if Stan came in for Carew, personally, because the system works, and Carew can be used for impact.

In MONs eyes, I can't see that bringing in Stan for NRC or Sidwell would be an 'unpopular' choice amongst a lot of fans. Although for me that would definitely be unpopular.

Big John I think if people are suggesting Stan is shit then they are wrong. Certainly he is a major player for us in our 433 system.

I think the problem lies in MONs insistence on playing him in a 442, which IMO is destroying petrov, and people are now beginning to unfairly turn against Stan.

It's MONs persistence that is letting us down, not Stan, in expecting him to take a role that he physically can't in a 442