PL: Burnley a Match Thread 2009/11/21 15:00

limpid

Petrov really isn't as shit as some like to make out.

Do you really think his team mates would have voted for him as the best player and be happy to play under him as captain if he really was shit and was costing us points?

Happy to play under him as captain, why do the players decide who is captain i thought that was MON?

Will be a good marker to all tomorrow, play well and you will be dropped as soon as my favourites come back in!

Not entirely true, but certainly an element of it.

If we win who cares, if we loose....

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Burnley are a good team but these guys are made for us. Burnley like to get at the opposition teams when playing at home and if they try that on us we will look to play our natural game, which is to soak up the pressure and hit on the break. This should be a comfy 2-0 or 3-1 type result, but you never know. I expect a win in this one.

Petrov > Sidwell, certain people just need to accept that.

Burnley are starting to peak to similar heights of Hull last season and they'll have plenty of belief that they can beat us tommorow after their brillliant draw at Citeh, but usually, promoted teams don't often follow up with great results with another great result... that's one factor as to why I'm quite confident going into the game tommorow.

Ideally I'd want 4-5-1, but Carew will be left in the team (and rightfully so I suppose) after his performance against Bolton so it's now a matter of choice who plays with Petrov. Reo-Coker is more value to the team and contributes a lot... but yet Sidwell will still somehow squirm himself into the team again.

Shit me. We haven't won in our last 22 league games at Turf Moor, dating back to 1936! We've not beaten them in the league home or away since 1966.

Note: we've not been in the same division for over 30 years.

Petrov > Sidwell, certain people just need to accept that.

It;s your opinion and for what it's worth I agree with you to some extent but who would I rather see in the starting line up? Steve Sidwell, suits our play so much more, 2 hard working, energetic, hard running central midfielder can retain possesion and win the ball in midfield and let our wide players and forward players do what they can do. Petrov just slows the game down for us.

Martin O'Neill has revealed the "devastation" felt by Aston Villa defender Richard Dunne after seeing the Republic of Ireland's World Cup dreams shattered by Thierry Henry's handball.

Villa boss O'Neill is to sit down with Dunne to find out if he is in the right frame of mind to play into Saturday's Barclay's Premier League clash at Burnley.

Dunne sat out training at Bodymoor Heath on Friday after travelling back from Paris - the scene of his country's heartbreak against France in the play-off second leg meeting.

O'Neill said: "Richard is very, very disappointed. He is pretty frustrated obviously with what happened and it is a real shame because Ireland were in a position to at least take the game to penalty kicks.

"It has been a devastating experience for Richard and I particularly feel for the experienced players in the side - the Dunnes, Givens, Duffs, Kilbanes and Keanes - more than the younger boys.

"It is a big blow to them. He didn't train today and I'm not surprised. He has had two very heavy games, particularly the match on Wednesday, and then you are hit by the major blow of not making it to the World Cup.

"Let me put it this way, he won't get over it overnight. I will sit down with him if we get an opportunity to see how he is feeling.

"Of course, disappointment can be overcome but I will speak to him and see how he feels (about playing tomorrow)".

O'Neill is looking for striker John Carew to maintain the form he showed two weeks ago when scoring once and setting up three goals in the 5-1 demolition of Bolton.

O'Neill believes that the Norway international is in the most consistent form of his career - but is still demanding more from Villa's leading scorer of the past two seasons.

He said: "It is all about consistency and I am asking for a pretty high level of consistency.

"John has a lot of talent and my own view is, he had an excellent opening spell in his career at Valencia but here has been his most consistent form.

"We are striving for more from him because he is capable of producing more. We are not asking for something he is not capable of producing. But with the form he showed against Bolton, he is priceless to us."

O'Neill also believes defender Luke Young has been premature in deciding to hang up his international boots with England.

Fabio Capello considered recalling Young for last week's friendly against Brazil but he reiterated his decision of several months ago not to want to be considered for his country again.

O'Neill said: "I was aware of Luke's decision a while back and it's always up to a player to make up his own mind regarding such matters.

"In my opinion, I believe it is a bit too early in Luke's career to be giving up things like that but I respect his decision."

Villa centre-back James Collins had been hoping to return against the Clarets after missing the win against Bolton with a groin problem.

But he suffered a reaction in training today and is now regarded as a doubtful starter.

O'Neill said: "James was on the training field this morning and felt some discomfort towards the end. That was disappointing to hear and we will have to see how he is in the morning but I would say he is a doubt for the Burnley game."

Skipper Stiliyan Petrov and defender Habib Beye will both return after suspension and are included in the squad to face Owen Coyle's side.

F365

If Collins is out Dunne will play IMO. Same backline as Bolton I would say.

My team would be,

.................Friedel

Young Cuellar Collins/Dunne Warnock

........Petrov NRC Sidwell

Milner ................................Young

..................Gabby

with Carew as an impact sub perhaps replacing Petrov if we aren't doing anything. Delph for Sidwell is also an option. Carew deserves to play at some stage.

I wouldn't complain if I see the same 11 as against Bolton.

I would be slightly frustrated if we see Petrov and NRC in a 442 as this was ineffective at Sunderland. If so Stan would need to play an energetic role like Sidwell further forward, which we don't see from him too often.

If NRC makes way for Petrov... then I will wait for the inevitable defeat.

Go with the team at the top or last game's 11 and I'm sure we'll win though.