General Chat

Stevo985

Good interview with Obama on the RollingStone website. Here

Interesting closing statement too.

One closing remark that I want to make: It is inexcusable for any Democrat or progressive right now to stand on the sidelines in this midterm election. There may be complaints about us not having gotten certain things done, not fast enough, making certain legislative compromises. But right now, we've got a choice between a Republican Party that has moved to the right of George Bush and is looking to lock in the same policies that got us into these disasters in the first place, versus an administration that, with some admitted warts, has been the most successful administration in a generation in moving progressive agendas forward.

The idea that we've got a lack of enthusiasm in the Democratic base, that people are sitting on their hands complaining, is just irresponsible.

Everybody out there has to be thinking about what's at stake in this election and if they want to move forward over the next two years or six years or 10 years on key issues like climate change, key issues like how we restore a sense of equity and optimism to middle-class families who have seen their incomes decline by five percent over the last decade. If we want the kind of country that respects civil rights and civil liberties, we'd better fight in this election. And right now, we are getting outspent eight to one by these 527s that the Roberts court says can spend with impunity without disclosing where their money's coming from. In every single one of these congressional districts, you are seeing these independent organizations outspend political parties and the candidates by, as I said, factors of four to one, five to one, eight to one, 10 to one.

We have to get folks off the sidelines. People need to shake off this lethargy, people need to buck up. Bringing about change is hard — that's what I said during the campaign. It has been hard, and we've got some lumps to show for it. But if people now want to take their ball and go home, that tells me folks weren't serious in the first place.

If you're serious, now's exactly the time that people have to step up.

Sinkhole swallowing NASCAR track

A massive sinkhole at Charlotte Motor Speedway has swallowed up a large chunk of the infield. Speedway representatives say the sinkhole was likely caused by a combination of heavy rain and the track being built atop a landfill.

The Charlotte Motor Speedway is one of the major tracks on the NASCAR circuit and home to, among other races, the upcoming Bank of America 500 this weekend. The event draws 100,000 fans, but the facility's going to have to hurry to fill a massive sinkhole that opened up in the middle of the infield near the backstretch of the track last Friday.

The cause, according to the management of the track, is a drain pipe that was a part of the landfill the racetrack was built on top of. The pipe itself is more than 30 years old and had slowly deteriorated to the point that it finally collapsed after heavy rainfall soaked the area.

"We are replacing the old pipe, backfilling the dirt, and packing it down," said a CMS spokesperson.

Photos from WCNC show the hole is more than 35 feet deep and about 75 feet long, which is large enough to support the digging equipment they've had to lower into the hole to start the work.

According to the CMS Facebook page, the track will be open in time for the race.

You may have heard about the sinkhole that developed in one of our infield display areas last Friday night due to recent heavy rains. The area was over a landfill and we found a 30 year old drain pipe that had deteriorated more than 35 feet below the ground surface. We are replacing the old pipe, backfilling the dirt and packing it down. No worries racing fans - it will be completed in time before Bank of America 500 week!

When this is complete, NASCAR fans will go back to happily camping on top of a deteriorating landfill.

Just mentioned it in the 'Things that piss you off' thread, but thought I'd bring it here.

Entered a 30 player sit and go Texas Hold Em tournament last night and got into a heads up, when my connection to the site went. I checked my wireless connection which was fine, so it must have been their technical problem. By the time I'd reconnected I was down to next to no chips (after being on the same amount as my opponent) and with almost zero chance of winning. I won $50, but lost out on a possible extra $25. I'm waiting for an email from the site after complaining last night, but I'm not sure if they'll pay any, if not all, of the cash I potentially could've won.

Anyone know if I stand any chance?

Surely if the other guy had remained connected so he could win all of your money it couldn't have been their site? (I am in no way an expert, so that's actually a genuine question)

Surely if the other guy had remained connected so he could win all of your money it couldn't have been their site? (I am in no way an expert, so that's actually a genuine question)

I really don't know, but my wireless connection was fine, so it couldn't have been an issue with that and a dialogue box saying 'you've lost your connection' appeared about 30 seconds after the screen froze.

Either way I don't think you'll get anything from them. Even if you didn't lose your connection there's no guarantee you would have won, so they're unlikely to refund you.

If you're lucky they might give you some credit (as in cash but not withdrawable, you have to use it on the site). If you really want to pursue it and they don't offer you anything then I'd suggest telling them you'll be going to one of their competitors from now on. They might throw something at you to get you to stay.

That'd only be true if both he and the other person were on the same ISP with the same route to the site.

It could have been a routing problem they had from certain providers, could have been a router along the path falling over, could have been a whole heap of things that caused it. Mostly the fault of neither the site or the player.

full tilt had a major outage last year where only a few countries could still connect, everyone else got disconnected, and the french were still at the tables winning everyone who'd disconnected's money. In that case they rolled everything back to before the problem, but for just one person with connection issues they're very unlikely to do anything. A token refund of your buy in is about the best you can hope for, probably not even that if you cashed.

I really don't know, but my wireless connection was fine, so it couldn't have been an issue with that and a dialogue box saying 'you've lost your connection' appeared about 30 seconds after the screen froze.

If you're using a wireless router, your wireless connection is different from your internet connection, so there could have been a dropout on that which may have disconnected you from the site, even though the wireless was connected throughout.

Got an email from the woman in the apartment below me complaining about the noise from my birthday party on Saturday night. Wondering how to respond..

Just wanted to drop you a note about noise on Saturday night/Sunday morning. When you and your guests were leaving, just after midnight, there was a considerable amount of racket. On returning, just before 4am evening more so. From 3.55 your guests were standing outside your front door and shouting down at you in the courtyard, and I'll add that the language was not polite. I asked courteously if they could keep it down, and was ignored. Your guests then started singing on the walkway.

When eventually you all entered the apartment some ten minutes later - ten minutes of shouting and singing - the thumping music from your stereo could be heard clearly in my apartment. As could your guitar-playing (not for the first time) and all of your singing.

I'm really disappointed that you and your guests carried on in this way. I distinctly remember when a resident was playing music with a loud drumbeat late at night, that you added your voice to those whose peace was being disturbed by it.

If you were unaware of the fact that you and your guests could be heard outside the confines of your apartment, at least you know now and I trust I won't have to get in touch again. Please bear in mind too, that there are several families with children living in the complex, and that certain behaviours and language are especially inappropriate.

Kind regards

Wondering how to respond..

With an apology?

Agreed. In all seriousness, just send her a quick one back apologising for the noise and promising to make an effort to keep it down in the future.

And if you ever have a party or anything in the future then give her a warning about it out of courtesy.

Better to keep your neighbours on your good side I've found.

Â