General Chat

Stevo985

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Well there is no right or wrong way if we are reporting people on their skin colour. In my view you can only base it on a suspect description. If you have enough evidence to suspect the person e.g witness states person was white wearing a purple hoodie with purple trainers  specific hairstyle with two others that to me is enough to warrant a stop and search. I dont agree with random stop and searches unless there is a plausible reason e.g a murder and the person described by witnesses is similar.

Police have a very very difficult job. 

I think you're slightly missing the point of most of the outrage, mate.

Very few people object to suspects being stopped and searched when there is a reasonable suspicion of a specific offence.

The problem that most people object to is the power (section 60) to stop anyone that they like, with no suspicion. This is the power that's so frequently abused. If you think that's wrong, it sounds like we're in agreement

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

There's a rap video for you 

Iv'e seen this before yeah. My first thought was, is this the way to act when pulled over by the police. Personally I would be a bit more cooperative, give them my licence without thinking they are targeting me straight away.

I was pulled over like every other weekend when I was young, driving a flash car, I just had banter with the police, even when searching my car from top to bottom. Yes I wasn't happy, but I let them do there job, maybe I was brought up differently to respect authority, I don't know. I know I don't wanna make the polices job harder than it already is. One of my closest pals is a 25 year copper, so I get a bit of a insight in to the job, how sometimes people make it more difficult than it really needs to be. He knows all the wannabie gangters in his area, some are even mates, but they still wanna  give him attitude because of the job he does. He believes it came from the 90's media, all the way back to NWA, where it's cool to hate the police. They are the baddies, an it's just really not that simple that the police were picking on the minorities unfortunately. Making friends with communities and education alone is never gonna stop the gang culture and big boys carrying knives and killing our kids.

As for having your house searched, that's a completely different situation to having your pockets searched and checking your i.d.

6 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Still waiting for the day when you are though.

People will have different opinions, it's reality of life pal, an you really don't have to get involved if you don't agree. It'a forum for discussion, there's never a right or wrong to most subjects, even though some think there is.

13 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

He believes it came from the 90's media, all the way back to NWA,

Couldn't possibly go back to decades of bent coppers, could it? 

david_oulwale_plaque1.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

People will have different opinions, it's reality of life pal, an you really don't have to get involved if you don't agree. It'a forum for discussion, there's never a right or wrong to most subjects, even though some think there is.

The thing is, you bang on about wanting discussion and debate, but whenever you're asked to back up your arguments you ignore it and move on to the next softball you can hit.

You're not interested in discussion, you just seem to want to post your opinion unchallenged.

• Like 1

Just now, Davkaus said:

The thing is, you bang on about wanting discussion and debate, but whenever you're asked to back up your arguments you ignore it and move on to the next softball you can hit.

You're not interested in discussion, you just seem to want to post your opinion unchallenged.

I don't mind being challenged (many on here do) and have taken much of what you have said on board, an that it needs to be done correctly. Although you also haven't really put up much debate, just saying it don't work. Okay whats the alternative, cause to think education and police making friends with communities is gonna eradicate knife crime is just a bit to idealistic, it needs to include stop and search tactics.

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I don't mind being challenged (many on here do) and have taken much of what you have said on board, an that it needs to be done correctly. Although you also haven't really put up much debate, just saying it don't work. Okay whats the alternative, cause to think education and police making friends with communities is gonna eradicate knife crime is just a bit to idealistic, it needs to include stop and search tactics.

I've not just said it doesn't work, I've provided independent research showing it doesn't work. Why do you think it does?

You keep saying it needs to be done correctly, what does this mean, what needs to change?

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I've not just said it doesn't work, I've provided independent research showing it doesn't work. Why do you think it does?

You keep saying it needs to be done correctly, what does this mean, what needs to change?

Why does it not work, what are those figures based on? Then what is the alternative?

I even quoted relevant sections, there's only so much I can help.

My proposed alternative is leaving people alone unless there's a good reason to think that they have some something wrong, especially when doing otherwise seems to have no effect on violent crime, and does little but encourage distrust of the police among the innocent within the targeted communities.

I'll try again, what do you think should change?

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I even quoted relevant sections, there's only so much I can help.

My proposed alternative is leaving people alone unless there's a good reason to think that they have some something wrong, especially when doing otherwise seems to have no effect on violent crime, and does little but encourage distrust of the police among the innocent within the targeted communities.

I'll try again, what do you think should change?

Atitudes.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I've seen lots of discussions on a vast range of topics on here. Many posts from posters that I wouldn't share the same opinions with where I've thought to myself 'that makes sense' or 'that poster has a point' or 'I see where there coming from'. There is very often a wrong and a right, nearly always actually. You just post your opinion and then when challenged state that debating on VT is pointless, and instead of actually backing up your argument with evidence you rely on anecdotal evidence.

• Like 3

Just now, sparrow1988 said:

I've seen lots of discussions on a vast range of topics on here. Many posts from posters that I wouldn't share the same opinions with where I've thought to myself 'that makes sense' or 'that poster has a point' or 'I see where there coming from'. There is very often a wrong and a right, nearly always actually. You just post your opinion and then when challenged state that debating on VT is pointless, and instead of actually backing up your argument with evidence you rely on anecdotal evidence.

I don't think you understand 'opinion', it really doesn't have to be backed up with factual evidence.  I hate West Ham, there maybe evidence as to why I do, but I don't have to find it to justify it to you, do I??

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I don't think you understand 'opinion', it really doesn't have to be backed up with factual evidence.  I hate West Ham, there maybe evidence as to why I do, but I don't have to find it to justify it to you, do I??

I think you’re getting ‘opinion’ and ‘emotion’ mixed up. 

• Like 2

Â