General Chat

Stevo985

10 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Yeah, I read the fitter you are the lower it normally is. Athletes usually have it around the 40 mark. I had mine done the other week, and it was 65. 

Bet you've had a few nights where its been racing! 

We've had that Now TV fitted in the bedroom. We ain't had a tv in the bedroom for years, but my missus was complaining that she can't watch naff all when the footy is on. Well tonight is Friday, and I'm having the footy on, and the whole point of having Now TV was so she could watch tv upstairs whilst I have the footy on. Now she's moaning that she's got to go upstairs and watch tv, because of the footy. How the **** does that work. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

We've had that Now TV fitted in the bedroom. We ain't had a tv in the bedroom for years, but my missus was complaining that she can't watch naff all when the footy is on. Well tonight is Friday, and I'm having the footy on, and the whole point of having Now TV was so she could watch tv upstairs whilst I have the footy on. Now she's moaning that she's got to go upstairs and watch tv, because of the footy. How the **** does that work. 

I'm so lucky Mrs Authority likes watching footy with me.

I've been working up Stoke all week freezing my balls off. It's the year 2018, and this site has no running water, gaps in the scaffold, no crash decking, so if we fell through the roof, we would fall 40ft down onto concrete, no site manager, and no forklift driver. The lad I worked with was told to have a taz about in the forklift, so he could get used to it, because no one else could drive it. Tell a lie, the bricklayer could, but he hadn't the time to piss about sorting us out all day. My work colleague ain't got a licence for it, and has never driven one before. Tbf, he managed ok, although he did drop a full pack of tiles which completely came off the forks. Unreal to think this time of thing is happening in this day and age. 

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

You need a union.

Best thing about it was, the two lads I work with, thought it was great. I told my bosses, and they just shook their head and laughed about it. Our contracts manager even said, it's great when you can work like that with no health and safety hanging over you, and people telling you what to wear and all that. We wouldn't have a leg to stand on, if we had an accident. 

A wage isn't worth plummeting to your death over. I'd have been out of there without a second thought.

Our contracts manager even said, it's great when you can work like that with no health and safety hanging over you

Reckon he'd work there for a day?

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

A wage isn't worth plummeting to your death over. I'd have been out of there without a second thought.

Reckon he'd work there for a day?

He would tbf. You're right though, if I fell to my death, my family would get nothing, because although the builder would get fined, what they do now, is put responsibility on the workers. If you see something, or you know it's not safe, and continue to work, you are buggered if you have an accident. The building trade is terrible for trying to get out of paying people out. The slightest thing they can have you for, they will, and then you have done away with your claim. 

16 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Best thing about it was, the two lads I work with, thought it was great. I told my bosses, and they just shook their head and laughed about it. Our contracts manager even said, it's great when you can work like that with no health and safety hanging over you, and people telling you what to wear and all that. We wouldn't have a leg to stand on, if we had an accident. 

I feel for you, because that sounds like a dreadful environment to be working in. 

5 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It's one thing for the staff working to be exposed to pointless risk. There is an element of being able to take control and either organise or walk away.

It's the stupid unforeseen accident that injures someone else, a third party, that's the totally unacceptable element.

Yes, kids working on site don't have the experience, foresight or balls to understand health and safety means not getting life changing injuries. So we need to protect them.

But what about the public walking by when tiles get kicked off a poorly constructed scaff with no toeboards? What about the kids on the estate that can climb a poorly erected scaffold?  The wife or mum of the guy who's reversed in to by someone dicking about in a mini digger.

Etc etc..

Full 5 point ppe and CS cards is a very necessary pain in the arse. PCI docs and H&S visits are a necessary pain in the arse.

It stops death and it stops amputations and it stops people being crippled. 

I've done plenty of moaning over the years, and still do. It's no fun being kitted out in all this health and safety gear when it's hitting 40 on the roof. But as you say, it's put in place for a reason. When I was younger, I hated it, but the older, and wiser I've got, I've accepted it more. For the sake of just wearing this or that, or reporting this or that could be the difference between life, or death, or atleast a big pay out to see you alright. Might problem is, that the builder will do all they can to try and cover shit up, and get out of it. 

8 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I feel for you, because that sounds like a dreadful environment to be working in. 

Luckily it's only a small site with a handful of houses going up. We've worked for them before. The next roof is ready on Wednesday. I'm going to tell my boss on Monday that unless things are altered, then I won't work on there. The no running water is illegal, but it won't kill me. The crash decking is my biggest concern, because that will kill me. The thing is, our firm are very well established. It's no cowboy outfit. 

Edited by Rugeley Villa

18 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It's one thing for the staff working to be exposed to pointless risk. There is an element of being able to take control and either organise or walk away.

It's the stupid unforeseen accident that injures someone else, a third party, that's the totally unacceptable element.

Genuine shock. That doesn’t read well. :o  I suspect you’d reword it if you wrote it again, Chris

8 minutes ago, blandy said:

Genuine shock. That doesn’t read well. :o  I suspect you’d reword it if you wrote it again, Chris

OK, this is what I'm trying to say.

On a site, you have to be responsible to some extent for your safety. I have been on a number of sites where I have unilaterally decided that today, I'm not going in that cherry picker with that driver. Or I've decided I'm not happy with ladders. I'm a big boy and admittedly a bit privileged in my position on sites. Only yesterday, I refused to go in to a basement to inspect steel until lighting was put on the stairs. I decided what was safe for me.

I could have decided to accept the risk of the cherry picker on a windy day, I could have decided to 'man up' and use a vertical ladder. Yesterday, to speed up getting it done and getting home, I could have felt my way down a black stairwell. That's my self assessment of my risk.

The unacceptable element is hopefully self explanatory. Nothing should put third parties in danger. Me wanting to get home shouldn't leave slates on an edge of a roof etc.

What I think I've left 'weird' is it could be read that unsafe sites are somewhat more acceptable for 'the workers'. Absolutely not where I was coming from.

An unsafe digger or truck is not acceptable.

A clown getting the keys and having a go, that's his dumb arse.

An untrained clown being asked to operate a digger is unacceptable.

Hopefully that reads better? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

The lad I worked with was told to have a taz about in the forklift, so he could get used to it, because no one else could drive it. Tell a lie, the bricklayer could, but he hadn't the time to piss about sorting us out all day. My work colleague ain't got a licence for it, and has never driven one before. Tbf, he managed ok, although he did drop a full pack of tiles which completely came off the forks. Unreal to think this time of thing is happening in this day and age. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â