General Chat

Stevo985

I just remembered a bloke in the pub the other day, was sat on his own, on the table next to me a couple of mates, and decided to interrupt out conversation to tell us he'd had sex with the same prostitute as a famous Welsh ex footballer (I won't name who it was, as I don't want to get limpid sued, but I'm sure you can guess). I'm not sure what he wanted us to say, but as conversation starters go, it was a decent effort.

8 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I could’ve turned professional as a late sleeper. My natural thing appears to be to stay up spectacularly late and then sleep all day.
I set my alarm on weekends so I don’t miss lunch. I can get up early, I’m often pinging up some motorway or other before 6:00am, but it’s not through choice. Many years ago I’d simply skip a night’s sleep and then catch up again another day.
I’d been awake a couple of days straight, working shifts as a night porter and then out with mates in the daytime. So I’d done about 36 / 48 hours on no sleep and got invited to a party with the Radio 1 Roadshow crew (remember those!).
Went home for a quick wash and change. Thought to myself, I’ll have 5 minutes and then I’ll phone the girlfriend, invite her along and it’ll be a good day. Closed my eyes, had 5 or 10 minutes shut eye. Woke up, phoned her to invite her backstage at the Roadshow and she’s all weird on me.
Apparently I’d slept for a full 24 hours not 10 minutes! Roadshow had been and gone…

Looking back now, perhaps missing a Radio 1 party was a very good thing! Or perhaps I went, and got rhuppied?

I'm basically the same as this, although I can normally wake up naturally before lunchtime. Sleeping from 3 to 11 would be my natural preference. 

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I got up at 11:30 today (day off). After going to bed at midnight. 

Thats a proper lie in. 

I cannot physically do that anymore. 9-9.30 at the very latest, but I rarely lie in. Getting up early is so much better for you, imo.

• Like 1

I'm usually awake at 6am most days for work... on Monday night I went to bed at 3am (was watching NFL) and up at 6am no problem. 

However, I make up for it at the weekend. I can go to bed at midnight and get up at 4pm the next day. 

I'm a binge sleeper. 

20 minutes ago, Xela said:

I'm usually awake at 6am most days for work... on Monday night I went to bed at 3am (was watching NFL) and up at 6am no problem. 

However, I make up for it at the weekend. I can go to bed at midnight and get up at 4pm the next day. 

I'm a binge sleeper. 

Yep, I'm the same.

Up at 6 every day but go to bed fairly late (11-midnight usually)

Then on the weekend (or a day off like today) I make up for it.

27 minutes ago, Xela said:

I'm a binge sleeper. 

Latest thinking in sleep research suggests that (like binge drinking) this a bad strategy, i.e. sleeping longer at weekends doesn't compensate for sleep deprivation during the week. We're supposed to aim for the trad 'eight hours a night', as much as possible - and it seems that bad insomnia can have serious health repercussions. 

Paradoxically, I never had a problem with sleeplessness until I retired - or more specifically, since I started this grandparenting gig. It may just be a function of age, or maybe I'm unconsciously stressing about the responsibility, but I find myself waking up at various times during the night, and struggling to get off again. I'm shattered by Friday, and I don't do all that much better at the weekend, despite lying in for an extra three hours or so. 

Edited by mjmooney

33 minutes ago, Xela said:

I'm a binge sleeper. 

Getting up at 4 in the afternoon would drive me into depression.

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

Getting up at 4 in the afternoon would drive me into depression.

Its not every weekend, just maybe if I've got no reason to get up or go out. 

I'd rather be up earlier and do something but living on my own its nice to sleep in sometimes 

3 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I cannot physically do that anymore. 9-9.30 at the very latest, but I rarely lie in. Getting up early is so much better for you, imo.

We've gone through a load of contract changes at work and now one day a week I start at 10AM and thought, great I get an extra lie-in each week but both times I've done so far it I've ended up with a severe headache by about 3 in the afternoon.  Actually had to go home to bed one time it was that bad, it turned into a proper migraine.  Sleeping in too late **** me up.

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Latest thinking in sleep research suggests that (like binge drinking) this a bad strategy, i.e. sleeping longer at weekends doesn't compensate for sleep deprivation during the week. We're supposed to aim for the trad 'eight hours a night', as much as possible - and it seems that bad insomnia can have serious health repercussions. 

Paradoxically, I never had a problem with sleeplessness until I retired - or more specifically, since I started this grandparenting gig. It may just be a function of age, or maybe I'm unconsciously stressing about the responsibility, but I find myself waking up at various times during the night, and struggling to get off again. I'm shattered by Friday, and I don't do all that much better at the weekend, despite lying in for an extra three hours or so. 

I hate sleeping straight through, I like to wake up twice through the night. I'm usually in bed for 9, even on weekends sometimes, but the latest I'm usually up to on a weekend is 10.30. 

Â