General Chat

Stevo985

The Mariko Aoki phenomenon (青木まりこ現象 Aoki Mariko genshō) is a Japanese expression referring to an urge to defecate that is suddenly felt after entering bookstores. The phenomenon's name derives from the name of the woman who mentioned the phenomenon in a magazine article in 1985. According to Japanese social psychologist Shozo Shibuya, the specific causes that trigger a defecation urge in bookstores are not yet clearly understood (as of 2014).[1] There are also some who are skeptical about whether such a peculiar phenomenon really exists at all, and it is sometimes discussed as one type of urban myth. At the same time, there are also intellectuals who have attempted to discover the mechanisms behind the phenomenon using knowledge from fields such as biology and psychology.

Wikipedia

What would you call the concertina/extending contraption in this picture? 

Where could I buy one? 

Alternatively, can you get Lego-type components I could use to make one? 

Pterodactyl-Cuckoo-Clock-2.jpg

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

What would you call the concertina/extending contraption in this picture? 

Where could I buy one? 

Alternatively, can you get Lego-type components I could use to make one? 

Pterodactyl-Cuckoo-Clock-2.jpg

It's a scissor arm. Lego parts:

• Connector peg
  • Technic beam

There are other options if you need more strength or rigidity.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, limpid said:

It's a scissor arm. Lego parts:

• Connector peg
  • Technic beam

There are other options if you need more strength or rigidity.

Thanks. No great strength needed, so the Lego parts would probably do the job. In fact what I want to make is is exactly what you see in the picture, complete with pterosaur. My granddaughter is a big fan of the CBeebies show Andy's Dinosaur Adventures, which has a 'time machine' grandfather clock, complete with a 'pteracuckoo' mechanism. 

I'm going to build one...  :D

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Thanks. No great strength needed, so the Lego parts would probably do the job. In fact what I want to make is is exactly what you see in the picture, complete with pterosaur. My granddaughter is a big fan of the CBeebies show Andy's Dinosaur Adventures, which has a 'time machine' grandfather clock, complete with a 'pteracuckoo' mechanism. 

I'm going to build one...  :D

https://shop.lego.com/en-GB/Mighty-Dinosaurs-31058

Image 4.

10 minutes ago, Xela said:

I always knew them as a pterodactyl.

Pterodactyl is an (incorrect) synonym for pterosaur. This is the clade which includes pteranodon and other flying lizards. They are also not dinosaurs.

It's a good job I paid attention at the safari park :) 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

well, in my house, they are referred to as terradarradickdill ever since my nipper first got in to dinosaurs but couldn't pronounce any of them

My nephew had the same thing, Dinosaurs in general were Edores, Tyrannosaurus Rex was a Tysore Hex.

Elephants were Munnants

• Like 1

what temperature do you lot keep your homes at?

My flat is usually between 16° and 18° my Mom and Dad always say this is too cold, their house is always well over 20°, usually like 22° or 24°, I find it really uncomfortable.

My old flat was freezing, in the winter if I got the temperature up to 18° then I had done well, it was usually between 12° and 14° so I reckon I've just acclimatized to the cold.

17 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

My flat is usually between 16° and 18° my Mom and Dad always say this is too cold, their house is always well over 20°, usually like 22° or 24°, I find it really uncomfortable.

My old flat was freezing, in the winter if I got the temperature up to 18° then I had done well, it was usually between 12° and 14° so I reckon I've just acclimatized to the cold.

My place doesn't really go below about 18 even if the heating hasn't been on for days. Must be the benefits of a modern efficient apartment. 

I'll have the heating on between 22-23 degrees. Nice and toasty 

The thing I find with central heating is that the house feels cosier when the radiators are on, rather than off - regardless of the ambient temperature of the room

For example, the thermostat could be set to (say) 20°, and the room temperature is still 16°, so the heating is going, and it feels OK. But the moment the room gets to 20°, and it cuts out, it almost immediately feels a bit chillier (in our house, this may be due to draughts, but I'm not sure). 

21 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

That is freezing.    Our house is always at 22 degrees, nice and toasty. 

21 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

About the same as you.

Above 20° would be much too warm for me.

Â