General Chat

Stevo985

16 hours ago, Chindie said:

Some mentalist has pitched a one man tent in the graveyard next to Coventry station.

This has been the highlight of a very very dull rail journey.

Strange bunch them Cov lot. Tomorrow it is the annual 'Donkey Derby' wherein small children are forced to sit atop actual, real life Donkeys, attached via straps so they can't move, and then raced for the 'entertainment' of the adult folk. On average 1 child dies and 5 donkeys have to be put down every year. And this is it's 45th year! It's a bit like Hunger Games, families draw lots to see if their kid has the 'honour' of racing. Barbaric.

Here is a picture from last years event

the-44th-coventry-donkey-derby-279231252

I can't post the next picture in the series as it is simply too graphic.

What makes it even worse is that they cook and eat the deceased donkeys too. Slice them up and put them between finger rolls.

Call them 'Hot Donks'.

Probably eat the kids too.

Edited by hogso
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Oh yes, Coventry. Do they still have a football team, or did I imagine that? 

One of their youth team presumably (that or a really unfortunate FKW) got on the train I was on a few stops before Coventry. So I guess they must do.

Perhaps it was his tent.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dAVe80 said:

We ended up signing most of them!

Can always remember us on the verge of signing Robbie Keane but we would not give wolves( I think) the extra few pennies they wanted and Coventry had him from under our noses. That year Coventry spent a fair amount of money. 

There's a few teams around Cov, and one of them - Coventry United (formed during the 'exile' year, and ground share with Coventry Sphinx (one of the better team suffixes, I'm sure you'll agree)) - play Bedworth United in the FA Cup 1st Qualifying Round tomorrow, in what could be the least anticipated derby of all time.

Edited by hogso
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Can always remember us on the verge of signing Robbie Keane but we would not give wolves( I think) the extra few pennies they wanted and Coventry had him from under our noses. That year Coventry spent a fair amount of money. 

Yep, half a mil was the rumour at the time IIRC.  We wouldn't budge from £5.5m and he went there for £6m.  The rest is history :rant:

• Like 1

Does anyone else who works daily with computers suffer wth eye fatigue? My eyes feel like they've been held open all of the time. I have two monitors, a light above me and a window behind me. Has anyone had it treated or gone to the doctor's with it?

Do you give your eyes regular breaks?

The 20-20-20 rule helped me. A 20 second break every 20 minutes, looking at something at least 20 foot away. I have an application on my PC that pops up a reminder every 20 minutes. I used to get quite bad headaches and sore eyes before.

• Like 1

I'm very lucky with my eyes.  I've been staring at computers since I was 7 (I'm 39).  Playing them then working with them.  I don't wear glasses or contacts and my eyesight is still razor sharp.  When you say fatigue do you mean your vision goes blurry, or your eyelids get heavy or something else?

Eyelids heavy and painful eyes. Gives me a headache on occasion too.

When I put my sunglasses on or go outside, it soothes them. I don't think my lighting situation helps.

As I said, i sit right underneath a ceiling light, I have 2 monitors and a window behind me. My eyesight is still very good; no blurriness.

Â