General Chat

Stevo985

I did Environmental Science (aka Geography) and it was full of vegetarians, women that looked a lot like eggs, fat, ginger 34 year old pot heads (although he was okay actually) and 20-21 year old pot heads.

I lived at home because **** the fee's and shit accommodation that goes with it.  I stayed with my now-wife in her first year and there was regularly frost on the inside of the windows, an african women with very suspect hygiene (cleanliness & food).

I went out a few times but clubs aren't my thing and I preferred going out with my mates at home rather than uni people. 

As I said, I liked the lectures, field trips etc, but the people were pretty boring. 

I've just paid off my student loan (A little over 10 grand total) 12 years after I graduated.

It must be totally horrifying leaving uni now in debt to the tune of £50k. Especially when mortgage companies (as of last year) factor it into their affordability calculations.

My first year at uni was the best time of my life but certainly not worth £50k. 

• Like 1

I did Environmental Science (aka Geography) and it was full of vegetarians, women that looked a lot like eggs, fat, ginger 34 year old pot heads (although he was okay actually) and 20-21 year old pot heads.

I lived at home because **** the fee's and shit accommodation that goes with it.  I stayed with my now-wife in her first year and there was regularly frost on the inside of the windows, an african women with very suspect hygiene (cleanliness & food).

I went out a few times but clubs aren't my thing and I preferred going out with my mates at home rather than uni people. 

As I said, I liked the lectures, field trips etc, but the people were pretty boring. 

If I'd only hung out with my course mates I'd have hated uni. They were boring as ****.

Living in halls was the best part about uni. If you missed out on that then, well, you missed out.

If I'd only hung out with my course mates I'd have hated uni. They were boring as ****.

Living in halls was the best part about uni. If you missed out on that then, well, you missed out.

Yeah if yo stay at home then you're not going to get a lot of that stuff, so it's good if you enjoy your course.  The actual learning was the worst bit for me because I felt that I should do a boring finance course because that's what I'd need to get a job.  That's another thing I'd change if I could go back.

Students don't seem to behave like that these days. They're all responsible and study a lot and earnest and stuff. 

The ones on University challenge these days all look about 47 years old and as dull as ****  .. when they say my name is Crispin and I'm 20 years old I think wow you had a tough paper round as a kid

Universities should be about education, not training. It used to be that our society valued education, and rewarded bright kids by supporting them through a degree course, free of charge. Employers would take on graduates in any broadly relevant discipline, pay them starter salary, and train them to do the actual job.

Now, it's all about having to have a degree in the exact thing you're going to do, and then get taken on as an unpaid 'intern' - deep in debt and effectively working for nothing.

And I blame Blair's New Labour as much as the Tories. It was their education minister, Charles Clarke, who scoffed "What use is mediaeval history?" Arsehole.

I'm not sure the bold is true.

When I was applying for jobs the majority I encountered only wanted a degree. A few would ask for a relevant degree, but most didn't. I never came across a job that wanted a very specific degree. 

It's why, if I had to do it again, I wouldn't do Accounting. I'd do something like a language.

It's getting more and more about 'training', I think.

If I had to pay the eye watering fees students do now, I wouldn't have bothered.

I did love it though. I got slightly worried in my final year that I wouldn't be able adapt from a life that consisted of 2 hours actual work every day, at least 4 hours pro evo, 6 cans of Carlsberg, 30 minutes of Hollyoaks and 30 minutes of peep show.

It's been a slog but after 7 years I've started to come to terms with it.

• Like 2

Universities should be about education, not training. It used to be that our society valued education, and rewarded bright kids by supporting them through a degree course, free of charge. Employers would take on graduates in any broadly relevant discipline, pay them starter salary, and train them to do the actual job.

Now, it's all about having to have a degree in the exact thing you're going to do, and then get taken on as an unpaid 'intern' - deep in debt and effectively working for nothing.

And I blame Blair's New Labour as much as the Tories. It was their education minister, Charles Clarke, who scoffed "What use is mediaeval history?" Arsehole.

I got accepted for a maths course at uni despite getting a C, and rather predictably it was an unmitigated disaster.  I swear they only accepted me for the money, I know I have to take responsibility for failing myself, but I agree with you, someone has to say no, degrees are for the best and not to take on just about anybody.  I got really homesick and depressed by the whole thing as well, which put me back a couple of years.  Sorry if it sounds like a whinge, as it is obviously brilliant for anyone who gets what they want out of it, in fact I'd quite like another bash at it now if I could.

It's getting more and more about 'training', I think.

If I had to pay the eye watering fees students do now, I wouldn't have bothered.

I did love it though. I got slightly worried in my final year that I wouldn't be able adapt from a life that consisted of 2 hours actual work every day, at least 4 hours pro evo, 6 cans of Carlsberg, 30 minutes of Hollyoaks and 30 minutes of peep show.

It's been a slog but after 7 years I've started to come to terms with it.

Sub Hollyoaks for Neighbours and you have one of my typical uni days.

Same, no shit soaps though.

Another thing I'd change if I could do it again. Actually put more work in. You don't realise how easy you've got it until you start a real job.
I used to think getting up at 9 for a 10am lecture was early.

• Like 1

Never went to Uni, started working on holiday camps after leaving school and it was essentially putting off real work for 7 or 8 years, great times but had to start from the very bottom again at the age of 25.

Â