General Chat

Stevo985

I lived with my girlfriend/now wife for the 1st year in student accommodation (not halls).  Still pretty boring.  But I've never enjoyed clubs, getting shit faced or generally being a "typical, stereotypical student" - Don't get me wrong, I have gone out and gotten drunk, in clubs, but those are besides the point, I didn't do it every Thursday, for example.

Maybe Wolverhampton isn't that great.  It's got a few clubs, pubs, bars etc.

But to say that staying at home and going to uni defeats the whole point is stupid.

I have a career due to going to uni.  So I'd say, going to uni JUST to move out of your parents houses is more stupid. 

Surely you go for education, before the "leaving the nest" thing.

• Like 1

It's getting more and more about 'training', I think.

If I had to pay the eye watering fees students do now, I wouldn't have bothered.

I did love it though. I got slightly worried in my final year that I wouldn't be able adapt from a life that consisted of 2 hours actual work every day, at least 4 hours pro evo, 6 cans of Carlsberg, 30 minutes of Hollyoaks and 30 minutes of peep show.

It's been a slog but after 7 years I've started to come to terms with it.

Sub Hollyoaks for Neighbours and you have one of my typical uni days.

My typical uni day

- Get up at 9.15am and realise I've missed my first lecture and also breakfast (catered halls ftw)

- Go back to sleep and get up at 11.00am

- Go on MSN messenger, download stuff and listen to music until lunchtime

- Go to lunch with all my mates in my block and stay there for about 3 hours

- Go back to my room and generally doss watching movies or maybe go gym or see mates in other blocks or on rare occasions go to my afternoon lectures

- Dinner and then start getting ready to go out about 7pm - when I say get ready it was basically pre-drinking for 3 hours or watching a Intra-Mural sports match against another hall

- Go out about 10pm and get back about 4am.

- Next day do the same thing all over again

No-one should go to their local university and live with their parents, defeats the whole object of it.

Defeats some but not the 'whole' purpose of it. The main purpose of Uni is to get a good education, that will hopefully land you a good job and career, so living at home might well boost your chances of doing better. Of course, you'll miss out on the life skills you will get from, e.g. living independently, but that's hardly rocket science. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

My student life...

Get up about 2pm, roll a spliff....

"Wait, have I got a lecture today? Ah man, I'd better go. I'll just smoke this spliff..."

"Too late to go now. Might as well roll another J."

x 3 years.

• Like 1

It's getting more and more about 'training', I think.

If I had to pay the eye watering fees students do now, I wouldn't have bothered.

I did love it though. I got slightly worried in my final year that I wouldn't be able adapt from a life that consisted of 2 hours actual work every day, at least 4 hours pro evo, 6 cans of Carlsberg, 30 minutes of Hollyoaks and 30 minutes of peep show.

It's been a slog but after 7 years I've started to come to terms with it.

Sub Hollyoaks for Neighbours and you have one of my typical uni days.

My typical uni day

- Get up at 9.15am and realise I've missed my first lecture and also breakfast (catered halls ftw)

- Go back to sleep and get up at 11.00am

- Go on MSN messenger, download stuff and listen to music until lunchtime

- Go to lunch with all my mates in my block and stay there for about 3 hours

- Go back to my room and generally doss watching movies or maybe go gym or see mates in other blocks or on rare occasions go to my afternoon lectures

- Dinner and then start getting ready to go out about 7pm - when I say get ready it was basically pre-drinking for 3 hours or watching a Intra-Mural sports match against another hall

- Go out about 10pm and get back about 4am.

- Next day do the same thing all over again

Yeah that sounds pretty much it.  I gave myself countless days off :)

I'd have you down as getting a few hours of PES in too?

Oh yeah PES was a daily activity. Usually PES was what we did before we went out. In fact my room became the PES room and was always left open in case anyone in the block fancied a game and I wasn't in.  We also did drinking PES and I remember projectile vomiting Fanta because my mate scored a free kick against me and I had to finish the bottle I was drinking. God I just read that back and I sound like a right clearing in the woods.

• Like 3

Oh yeah PES was a daily activity. Usually PES was what we did before we went out. In fact my room became the PES room and was always left open in case anyone in the block fancied a game and I wasn't in.  We also did drinking PES and I remember projectile vomiting Fanta because my mate scored a free kick against me and I had to finish the bottle I was drinking. God I just read that back and I sound like a right clearing in the woods.

Best rule of drinking PES was everybody in the room who wasn't playing had to drink continuously from a goal kick being taken until it hit the ground. Which meant the two people playing just tried to head and punt the ball as high as possible without it hitting the ground :D 

Best rule of drinking PES was everybody in the room who wasn't playing had to drink continuously from a goal kick being taken until it hit the ground. Which meant the two people playing just tried to head and punt the ball as high as possible without it hitting the ground :D 

WOW! If only I would have gotten myself into years worth of debt to play PES & do drinking games! /sarcasm ;)

Interestingly (or perhaps not), the only time I've ever played PES (which isn't a demo) is at Uni. 

• Like 1

PES at uni was like a religion.

Everybody played it. Pretty much every male I knew. Even the ones that didn't like football.

It was PES 3, 4 and 5 when I was there.

Same here, the PS2 goden age.  FIFA wasn't even considered a thing.

We also had 24/7 hardcore title in our house (9 of us).  You had to get someone to act as a ref and count the three on the defending champion and the title was yours.  We bought a replica belt.

• Like 2

I honestly don't understand how so many people appeared to not bother with lectures etc.. and still pass their courses.

I did a year of business at Cov uni and I went to most lectures but missed a few seminars and I failed the whole thing miserably.

Â