General Chat

Stevo985

Cardiff to that London open return - £210*

Cardiff to Swindon open return £30, Swindon to that London open return £120, total £150* same train straight through no changes

Also, when at 6 in the morning the pre pay ticket machine is out of service and the station ticket office is (understandably) not open yet, it's a little annoying to be accused of 'trying it on' for not having a ticket.

* alternatively, £50 of fuel, £6,50 for parking all day, drive your own car.

Yep, that's an open return so its the priciest ticket you can buy - but in that it is a business commute and I have to be there for a set time and can't be sitting in Paddington for 3 hours waiting for a cheap return train, that's the one it has to be.

It's actually cheaper to hire a car for the day and pay to park it in London, which is ridiculous.

I hate trains.

I don't mind the short hop ones that I'll catch into Town.

But long haul are annoying. Expensive most of the time, overcrowded and when you do have a seat booked there's almost always some cock sat in it when you get there

Yep, that's an open return so its the priciest ticket you can buy - but in that it is a business commute and I have to be there for a set time and can't be sitting in Paddington for 3 hours waiting for a cheap return train, that's the one it has to be.

It's actually cheaper to hire a car for the day and pay to park it in London, which is ridiculous.

That's obscene, I think it's £59 anytime from Didcot and it's the next stop on the same train I think (from Swansea)!

I hate trains.

But long haul are annoying. Expensive most of the time, overcrowded and when you do have a seat booked there's almost always some cock sat in it when you get there

Trains are my favourite mode of transport if all goes well ie. it not being crowded or delayed.

I like a few beers on the way to the football or if travelling alone relaxing with a nice book and some music.

The prices you pay in this country are disgusting though.

A pretty decent size protest in London last night for Mike Brown.  Not sure who they were protesting against in the UK.

Probably hoping for riots so they can loot a new TV from Currys

• Like 2

yep I have boycotted train use for years. Lately, I've tried to use them again but I think I'm coming around to the fact that they are just not for me.

The price is the main thing, almost four times more expensive than driving and then you have to get a cab to your actual destination because Clients rarely want to meet at a train station.

Yesterday my journey started with the tickety machine being out of order. The ticket office was closed (understandable it was only about 6:00am). So I get on the local link train and the seats are so rammed together I can't actually physically fit in the gap, my arse to knee dimension isn't compatible with local train seating. The ticket guy on the train doesn't come out of his little room for the whole journey. At the central train station they get all upset with me because I don't have a ticket and frankly don't believe my story and don't want to let me out to pick up my pre paid ticket! Obviously all the ticket machines are the wrong side of the barrier - it would clearly be mental to actually have a machine IN the **** station. Clearly they have to deal with a lot of scum and are conditioned to dealing with dregs - but this was now 6:30am and I was wearing a tie godammit!

The main train turned up, no seat reservation tickets put out so its a Ryan Air style free for all.

Other people are now eating train food so I'm getting warm fat smells and other people's jibber jabber crap conversations.

I can't make phone calls for about 50% of the journey due to lack of signal.

A thoroughly miserable experience and to those out there doing a regular commute, I salute you.

I'll be taking the car again on Monday, saving myself an absolute wedge of money and having knee room plus my choice of smells, music, phone or silence.

I hate trains.

Trains are my favourite mode of transport if all goes well ie. it not being crowded or delayed.

I like a few beers on the way to the football or if travelling alone relaxing with a nice book and some music.

The prices you pay in this country are disgusting though.

I completely agree. But how often does it go to plan?

In the last 2 months I've taken trains to and from Manchester, to and from london twice, to and from Cardiff and to and from Leamington.

Only the trains back from manchester and the second time I went to London and back were uncrowded, and of those only the train back from manchester was there nobody in my seat (and that's because it was about 10 oclock on Sunday morning).

The train I get to leamington is a **** nightmare. Friday afternoon and it's the train that ends up in Bournemouth. Obscenely overcrowded. If I had to ride it to Bournemouth I think I'd walk instead.

LIke you say, when they work they're great. But it's such a hassle and so often uncomfortable that I'll only take them if driving isn't an option

Â