General Chat

Stevo985

True enough. 

I'm not sure I could see far enough past the poverty to enjoy my time there. That said, somewhere like Kashmir would be nice, but i'd probably sooner go to Nepal or Bhutan.

Edited by Shillzz
  • Like 1

To be semi serious for a brief second, it is a real issue, evaluating what good will come from investing billions and trillions in anything (space as an example), when there will always be immediate earthly needs.

Just as, on a much smaller scale, HS2 is going to suck in all that money, all those billions (potentially over £100B by the time of completion) and to what end? Is the objective to get to Mars, or even just to get to Birmingham? Or is the objective to create employment and wealth, knowledge and experience?

You could build a lot of hospitals and you could distribute a lot of anti malarials and peanut paste for a few billion dollars. Then what? A generation don’t get malaria, a generation doesn’t die but we haven’t built a technology and education base. For that reason, I can understand India’s decision.

Unfortunately, I may be being naïve and generous. I suspect that what India really wants, is a seat at the table with the big boys, and nothing looks better at a meeting than a big shiny car.

I went on holiday to India. Spent 3 weeks traveling from Delhi to Rajasthan in the north then down to the Taj Mahal and on to Mumbai and Goa.

It seems to be a marmite country and I am in the camp that considers India an acronym for I'll Never Do It Again. I lost count of the times we were scammed or intimidated etc.

The food was amazing though. Didn't get sick once and had some of the best curry I've ever eaten.

To be semi serious for a brief second, it is a real issue, evaluating what good will come from investing billions and trillions in anything (space as an example), when there will always be immediate earthly needs.

I will be semi-serious (I was up to now tbh :)). Here's a perfect example of the kind of thing where investment in NASA can have blatant benefits to the man on the street. Granted this one is more obvious than most but it's certainly not an isolated case.

Owing to their ambition to have deep space missions at some point in the future and the logistical difficulties that go with that, they are currently developing a 3d printer that can print food. Think of it is a much-less-advanced version of the Star Trek food replicators. It's pretty obvious what implications that could have in the 3rd world.

I will be semi-serious (I was up to now tbh :)). Here's a perfect example of the kind of thing where investment in NASA can have blatant benefits to the man on the street. Granted this one is more obvious than most but it's certainly not an isolated case.

Owing to their ambition to have deep space missions at some point in the future and the logistical difficulties that go with that, they are currently developing a 3d printer that can print food. Think of it is a much-less-advanced version of the Star Trek food replicators. It's pretty obvious what implications that could have in the 3rd world.

3D printers don't just print something out if thin air though. You still need a 'print cartridge' of food for the 3D printer to assemble. It's not like you could just send food to a remote place via the telephone.

For a third world country would it be a viable alternative to importing actual food?

Apologies LondonLax, it just read as though you were doing that thing that many people do, which is to dismiss a technology because of its current problems or limitations almost for the sake of argument without seeing the enormous possibilities that it could bring. We can only guess at where it'll all end up. That's why 'ideas' are a very precious thing. They can change the world or they can be dismissed just as easily. We need more thinking outside the box.

3D printers don't just print something out if thin air though. You still need a 'print cartridge' of food for the 3D printer to assemble. It's not like you could just send food to a remote place via the telephone.

For a third world country would it be a viable alternative to importing actual food?

could you  say star trek has had more influence on the push for tech than nasa ?

I've a titanium tummy. I'd be grand :)

homer-chilli.jpg

could you  say star trek has had more influence on the push for tech than nasa ?

Science fiction dreams it up. NASA (and the like) makes it happen.

India is one place that I don't think would ever find it's way onto my wishlist. That said, if I ever get a taste for amoebic dysentery, I may change my mind.

tbf I kinda thought I'd hate the place  but all in all it was a pretty amazing experience

Flew in to Calcutta from Nepal , saw the Victoria memorial and surrounding areas  .. i'd go back and see them again tbh

I went to Darjeeling up in the foot hills of the Himalayas   ... that's fairly clean by Indian Standards .. travelled up on the Toy train , a narrow gauge railway the Brits built  ... used to be the highest station in the world , but the Tibet rail link took care of that claim to fame  ... even bought food of a street vendor on the journey up and with no problems  .. stunning views , even if it did involve getting up a t 4am to see sunrise over the Himalayas

Delhi  , was a bit of a hole , it's over crowded and dusty  , but it still has it's charm and a few things worth seeing  I did get ill here but funnily enough it was in poxy Pizza Hut where I had chicken wings  .. saw England play India here in a one day match ..great atmosphere and great experience 

Amritsar , and the Golden Temple ..Amazing 

Agra  and the Taj mahal ... Amazing

Jodhpur Blue fort ... amaz ..well actually it was a bit meh but still impressive

Rathambone and seeing Tigers in the wild  ... Amazing

Jaipur ... Pink city  and the astology pieces  .. interesting

Udaipur ... the lake in James Bond (octopussy) .. interesting and different

Mumbai .... well a bit like Delhi it's a hole , but you walk around and it's architecture wise you could almost believe you are walking around nr St Pancras station  .. traffic is out of this world , nearly missed the flight home as we only allowed 4 hours to travel the 20 miles to the airport !!!

I'm a fussy eater and thought i would starve in India  ... the food was superb , don't think I've ever eaten so much on holiday  ... Ok i'm still a wimp when it comes to Hot curry but I eat a lot more variety of Indian food now then I ever used to

I'd definitely rethink on India and add it to your "to do " list

obligatory Facebook pics here if anyone is curious / has too much time on their hands

• Like 1

I'd definitely rethink on India and add it to your "to do " list

obligatory Facebook pics here if anyone is curious / has too much time on their hands

Nice reply!

I may/may not have already rifled through your Nepal photos for inspiration  :ph34r: .

I think it probably comes down to personal taste. Personally, The natural features of an area form the vast majority of my reasoning for wanting to go somewhere. That may change as I get older, but even looking through that album of yours, i'm immediately drawn to the mountains of Nepal rather than the temples of India. 

That said, the Darjeeling toy train looks pretty interesting, it caught my eye in a recent Wanderlust issue. I had planned to go to a tiny corner of India next year, basically as part of a Nepal visit, but unfortunately money & time wouldn't quite stretch that far. 

Still, it'll be there another year.

Edited by Shillzz
  • Like 1

Â