General Chat

Stevo985

So, I went to Twickenham on Saturday to watch the England - Australia game. My neighbour had a free ticket, and whilst I couldn't care less about Rugby, it was something new to do and a good excuse for a couple of beers.

While I detest anyone who says 'Football, as a sport, can learn a lot from Ruby', I would definitely say that the event organisers from Football could learn a lot from Rugby. 

Here's a few of my observations:

The food outside the ground before and after the game was fantastic. There were 100s of outlets offering anything you might want; from proper coffees to decent ales and local street foods. 

There was a huge bar open to anyone throughout the entire day. We arrived there after the game had finished and they'd laid on a rock group to entertain the punters.

Drinking inside the stadium was permitted during the game. Now I realise this may not be feasible for football, but it undoubtedly helped to enhance the experience. No one was taking it too far, and people were just happy to be able to enjoy a couple of pints of Guinness while they watched the game.

The general atmosphere was just far more pleasant than at any football game i've been to. Now this isn't necessarily a good thing, the partizan nature of Football fans does add greatly to the atmosphere, but this was something different. People were dressed smartly, there was no frothing at the teeth and even less aggression towards the opposition.

I wouldn't necessarily say football should follow in these steps, because it probably can't, but as far as a day out is concerned, football can barely hold a candle to it's egg-shaped cousin.

Yeah, I would agree with you on most of this. I love going out every now and then and catching the Scottish rugby at Murrayfield, even though I have zero interest in the sport whatsoever. It certainly feels like a bit more civilised day out than the football. At times at the football, I feel like I am surrounded by a bunch of knuckledraggers (both home and away supporters), who just come to the football looking for trouble, as opposed to actually watching what is being played. You don't really get that at rugby.  

It also helps for me that because I do not care for a certain side, I am always going to be happy throughout the day no matter what at rugby, never had a bad time!

• Like 1

So, I went to Twickenham on Saturday to watch the England - Australia game. My neighbour had a free ticket, and whilst I couldn't care less about Rugby, it was something new to do and a good excuse for a couple of beers.

While I detest anyone who says 'Football, as a sport, can learn a lot from Ruby', I would definitely say that the event organisers from Football could learn a lot from Rugby. 

Here's a few of my observations:

The food outside the ground before and after the game was fantastic. There were 100s of outlets offering anything you might want; from proper coffees to decent ales and local street foods. 

There was a huge bar open to anyone throughout the entire day. We arrived there after the game had finished and they'd laid on a rock group to entertain the punters.

Drinking inside the stadium was permitted during the game. Now I realise this may not be feasible for football, but it undoubtedly helped to enhance the experience. No one was taking it too far, and people were just happy to be able to enjoy a couple of pints of Guinness while they watched the game.

The general atmosphere was just far more pleasant than at any football game i've been to. Now this isn't necessarily a good thing, the partizan nature of Football fans does add greatly to the atmosphere, but this was something different. People were dressed smartly, there was no frothing at the teeth and even less aggression towards the opposition.

I wouldn't necessarily say football should follow in these steps, because it probably can't, but as far as a day out is concerned, football can barely hold a candle to it's egg-shaped cousin.

It's because football fans are stupid, overly attached, aggressive idiots. 

The sport is wonderful, it's the people in and around it that make me annoyed.

Obviously, I don't mean that as a whole, but the whole tribalism of football does my head in.  

I remember when Rodegella (sp) scored a screamer for Wigan at Villa Park and I clapped and said "**** me, what a goal" - only to my brother - and was told to **** off 3 times by different people.

I didn't want to be around people who cannot respect anything other than the people who play in one teams shirt, so I haven't got another season ticket since.

I've been to games, but I feel much better about football now I'm not so involved in it. 

On the one hand, I do enjoy the partizan nature of following a football side, but like yourself and Lockstock, I think people take the rivalry too far, to the detriment of an enjoyable day out.

I'd be much, much happier if going to Villa Park was more akin to my Twickenham experience. I'd probably make more of an effort to go along if that were the case.

• Like 1

Random place to ask this but I dont want to start a new thread so figure a few quick replies here will do.

Is your CV written in first or third person? 

Surely writing it in third would make you sound like a right word removed?

Fourth person.

No, it's got to be in second person. Write your CV like a Fighting Fantasy book

"You pick up AndyM3000's CV, tutting at the use of clip art on the front cover you turn the page.

To view education information, turn to page 3

To view previous work information, turn to page 4

or rip up this CV if you think he's a bit dodgy"

Edited by villaajax
  • Like 3

Random place to ask this but I dont want to start a new thread so figure a few quick replies here will do.

I heard its how Joe Kinnear got his job...

Isn't a CV just a set of lists? Personal info list. Education list. Employment list. Reference list. Hobby list. Fetish list. Sexual partner list. That kind of thing.

• Like 1

Isn't a CV just a set of lists? Personal info list. Education list. Employment list. Reference list. Hobby list. Fetish list. Sexual partner list. That kind of thing.

basically shows which way you lean

I was told to write it like that, after a quick google search there seems to be a lot of debate over the first and third person CV approach. Might have to change it.

I was told to write it like that, after a quick google search there seems to be a lot of debate over the first and third person CV approach. Might have to change it.

I don't think you really need to refer to yourself, specifically.

i.e. it's neither, "I'm a well trained monkey."

nor is it, "AndyM300 is a well trained monkey."

But more along the lines of "A well trained monkey".

It's your CV, there's no real need to point out who you're talking about.

Edited by Shillzz

Fact is, employers will have their preferences and it's impossible to know which one they prefer to read. It shouldn't matter as long as it makes sense, but I personally go for first person. That's in my cover letters, not my CV though, I do them separately. Most jobs I apply to ask for cover letters though, I don't know what your line of work prefers in that regard, but I don't have a personal profile on my CV. It's one side of A4, stripped back and showing only the relevant stuff for the job I'm applying to, save for when omitting a part would show a huge gap in my employment history.

It's a bit of a lottery sometimes, people like what they like. Just make sure it's concise, confined to one page if possible, no gaps in employment history and all relevant stuff to the position you're applying for.

• Like 1

If given the choice, I will always go to a rugby match instead of a football match. Why? Because, more often than not, it's **** freezing, and I'd rather have a few Guinness while I watch the game. I also find the atmosphere considerably friendlier. Shit, one time I, with a friend, went to a schools cup final, which is pretty much a very middle-class affair, and slagged off the entire field of players while sipping vodka, and no one said a thing. It's great because it is possibly the only venue that I can be the scummiest individual at, and I like it.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

hate rugby, it's shit, like NFL

I think it's proximity to Coventry is it's real undoing

Yep, and Newfoundland isn't bad either.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 2

Â