General Chat

Stevo985

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Just imagine writing that top quote about any other group and thinking it was funny, or legit, or clever.

We’ve probably all had bad experiences with some travellers, some asians, some Muslims, some black youths, some posh white bloke, some Brummie. But we’d all have the basic education to know not to call out a whole group as scum we hate that pop out babies to replace the dead ones.

As Tony points out, some of us have even had bad experiences with tories, but I’m not sure being anti tory can be described as racist. The tory thing just proves that a sub set of every type of person can be a bunch of shits, criminals with no morals and no sense of society. It’s perfectly alright to hate bad people. But it doesn’t mean everyone is like that. (For the record, I think I have recently outed a couple of tory friends that have been hiding in plain sight quietly nodding along every time the conversation turns to politics. I’m not sure why they’ve felt they need to go quiet, I’d genuinely welcome an open debate, but that’s by the by, I could learn something).

Meh, swing and a miss with my initial post.  I did label the entire group.  So sorry for that.

Even allowing for my personal experiences and people I know having nothing but negative things to say, I'm sure there are lots of decent, law abiding travellers.

There's no point listing the things I've seen because that's a small number of a pretty large group.

The baby thing I'll expand on though because that's what was shouted to me at work when I entered an abandoned industrial chicken Kiev factory and there was a bucket tied to a blue rope, with a 5/6/7 year old being lowered down through a narrow hole kicked through an appallingly thin asbestos roof, which was around 8m in height, so they could steal copper rods out of the three phase cable boxes and stripping cables.  Gave them spanners and cable strippers and everything.  So when the site manager I was with shouted "YOU'RE GOING TO KILL THAT KID!" 

The hole in the roof yelled back "can always have another!".  Which was that kids parent.  Endangering both himself and his child, in a very obvious way.  

So that's what that comment was relating to.

I've never knowingly spoken to a traveller, or been aquainted with one.

I've seen first hand  so many issues with "Gypsies" and heard so many accounts from people I trust to be factual.  There is masses of destruction, dangerous behavior, theft, vandalism, pollution and threats of and actual violence connected to "Gypsies" 

That's not racist, it's hard fact. 

Now the question is what is a gypsy?  I suspect that a lot of scummy lawless people have jumped on the "Gypsy" bandwagon and this is what we see. How much of the issues are connected to the actual original Romany Gypsies? I've absolutely no idea.  But I'm 100% certain there are large groups of people traveling about causing a lot of misery and public expense and I couldn't give a toss if they're black, brown, Far Eastern, Muslim, Sikh or Church of Scientologists. 

I don't think it helps to yell racism everytime the difficulties with these people is brought up either. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've got a Romany Gypsy banknote worth £1000 that becomes legal tender, once they establish their own country. On one side it has an horse, on the other it has a Romany Gypsy woman, to be fair it kind of looks like a work of art in it's own right, there's also some sort of poem on it, can't remember the words.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, sidcow said:

I've seen first hand  so many issues with "Gypsies" and heard so many accounts from people I trust to be factual.  There is masses of destruction, dangerous behavior, theft, vandalism, pollution and threats of and actual violence connected to "Gypsies" 

That's not racist, it's hard fact. 

I don’t think anyone would dispute that would they?

I don't think it helps to yell racism everytime the difficulties with these people is brought up either. 

Nor do I. Just when people make ridiculous blanket statements about all travellers. That is racist, that’s what got called out.

• Like 1

That's easily rectified at source by using a qualifier like 'some'. Then it would be misplaced. I think we are able to complain about lawlessness without racist statements.

Getting annoyed at cookies. Look, all I want is minimal tracking. Is there a way to save a cookie just so that it doesn't have to ask me ever effing time? getting bored of putting my postcode into the bbc new site every time I want to look at it. Maybe it's my I Don't Care About Cookies setting. It's too boring to do anything about it other than moan here.

8 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Getting annoyed at cookies. Look, all I want is minimal tracking. Is there a way to save a cookie just so that it doesn't have to ask me ever effing time? getting bored of putting my postcode into the bbc new site every time I want to look at it. Maybe it's my I Don't Care About Cookies setting. It's too boring to do anything about it other than moan here.

There is a way to stop this happening  , The instructions are on this Youtube link 

https://youtu.be/xvFZjo5PgG0?si=zdH7-DJ-rk6c637d

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Only just catching up on the gypsy conversation.

I once worked a gypsy wedding at a hotel helping out from a hotel from the same group. It was absolutely chaos but good fun. Plenty of money about, nice cars, bulging wallets. Dancing on the chairs during the meal.

I only worked until the food had been served. So no doubt it would have been less good chaos later but that would be no different from other weddings I've worked with that amount of drink flowing.

I could have got lucky as well, as flirted with a girl all evening and she caught me as I was leaving and tried to lead me to the woods in the grounds. I had my sensible head on and bottled it though for a fear of having my head kicked in 😂. Gave her my number but never heard anything back.

1 hour ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

Only just catching up on the gypsy conversation.

I once worked a gypsy wedding at a hotel helping out from a hotel from the same group. It was absolutely chaos but good fun. Plenty of money about, nice cars, bulging wallets. Dancing on the chairs during the meal.

I only worked until the food had been served. So no doubt it would have been less good chaos later but that would be no different from other weddings I've worked with that amount of drink flowing.

I could have got lucky as well, as flirted with a girl all evening and she caught me as I was leaving and tried to lead me to the woods in the grounds. I had my sensible head on and bottled it though for a fear of having my head kicked in 😂. Gave her my number but never heard anything back.

She was probably 14 mate. They generally dress them up like they are 30.

I was working in a pub when I was 18/19 and one night a load of the travellers were in. Splashing the cash, loads of tips. 

Then at the end of the night they were all outside and struggling to get taxi’s and the landlord was worried about them hanging around so I offered to run them into Tamworth town centre. There was about 10 of them so it was a few trips in my Metro.

Each group handed me money (£10-30) which made it a nice payday. One of the lads also gave me a small bag of herbs which was nice of him. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I don’t think anyone would dispute that would they?

Nor do I. Just when people make ridiculous blanket statements about all travellers. That is racist, that’s what got called out.

Just so I'm educated here. If someone makes a blanket statement about travellers beng a nightmare, that's racist???

6 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

She was probably 14 mate. They generally dress them up like they are 30.

Oh yeah all the girls were dressed up older than they were from the little'ns upwards. Pretty sure she was at least as old as me at the time but as I had been at work and obviously sober I was fully too aware of the bad outcomes of the situation, so backed off.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Just so I'm educated here. If someone makes a blanket statement about travellers beng a nightmare, that's racist???

No, it's because I used an absolute, like "hate them".

It's a blanket statement and there was no quantifying or specific use of limitations.

I was between trains and had a coffee for 5 mins and wrote it.

I mean, I'm absolutely no fan of gypsies/travellers in my own experiences, but this is a public forum and people come from many backgrounds and all that jazz, so it's on me really.

I've apologised, but been blanked and spoken about like I'm some absolute dumbass, so whatever really.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

It's a blanket statement and there was no quantifying or specific use of limitations.

I mean, I'm absolutely no fan of gypsies/travellers in my own experiences, but this is a public forum and people come from many backgrounds and all that jazz, so it's on me really.

I've apologised, but been blanked and spoken about like I'm some absolute dumbass, so whatever really.

You’ve not been blanked by me. I thought the conversation was over and have been trying not to drag it out. We’re all perfectly capable of a cock up, probably my turn later. Onwards and upwards and I’d expect nothing less than full scrutiny of my every waffling word going forward…

15 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

You are a dumbass to be fair

Â