General Chat

Stevo985

7 hours ago, Xela said:

I never realised the Flintoff accident on Top Gear last year was that bad. He's been seen today for the first time in 9 month and he still looks bruised and battered.

It's all been a bit mysterious. They seem to have cancelled Top Gear because of it.

It seems he could have been killed, I'd say everyone involved is shaken.

2 hours ago, Mr_Dogg said:

It's all been a bit mysterious. They seem to have cancelled Top Gear because of it.

It seems he could have been killed, I'd say everyone involved is shaken.

If killing a presenter was all it took to cancel Top Gear, we've all missed a trick 😁. So many obvious candidates.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Xela said:

I never realised the Flintoff accident on Top Gear last year was that bad. He's been seen today for the first time in 9 month and he still looks bruised and battered.

Poor bloke looks like he’s had to have his face rebuilt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Another indicator I’m becoming increasingly out of touch because this is the first I’ve heard of this particular crash.

i vaguely recall he’d had a crash but not the full extent of it , I was expecting his injury to be a sticky plaster on a cut knee , but that looks really severe , with scars for life !!

Top Gear used  to be the highlight of the weeks TV but other than Matt LeBlanc it’s been dreadful stuff since they got rid of Clarkson and co , I haven’t watched it for years now

5 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Top Gear used  to be the highlight of the weeks TV but other than Matt LeBlanc it’s been dreadful stuff since they got rid of Clarkson and co , I haven’t watched it for years now

Same. The grand tour does nothing for me either. It was lightning in a bottle for several years but I think it had just about run its course when they left the beeb.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

i vaguely recall he’d had a crash but not the full extent of it , I was expecting his injury to be a sticky plaster on a cut knee , but that looks really severe , with scars for life !!

I never liked Richard hammy ham ham hamster Hammond.

I know there’s a Stewart Lee sketch about Richard hammy ham ham hamster Hammond that you’re always promoting, but I already hadn’t really taken to him. He really did come over as very local radio smash nicey side kicky.

But he was on the radio recently talking about Top Gear and reminiscing about stuff, and I really couldn’t tell if it really was him, or someone doing some Partridge esque impression of him. He was out to complete his local radio bingo card as quickly as possible. I think he actually used the word yesindeedee at one point.

Matt LeBlanc was far better than I’d expected.

I’ve just seen that the **** rugby **** World Cup is seven **** weeks long!

That can’t be right can it? Seven **** weeks?

What do they do? Dedicate a whole **** week to every **** country that plays the **** game?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I know there’s a Stewart Lee sketch about Richard hammy ham ham hamster Hammond that you’re always promoting,

I think I’ve seen the sketch linked in here , but Stewart Lee is as smug elitist clearing in the woods who Is even less funny than a female comedian 

The only thing I’d promote him for is first place up against the wall come the revolution … actually make that second , it will take some doing to keep  Russell Brand from receiving the first bullet 

Just now, chrisp65 said:

I’ve just seen that the **** rugby **** World Cup is seven **** weeks long!

That can’t be right can it? Seven **** weeks?

What do they do? Dedicate a whole **** week to every **** country that plays the **** game?

Means the pubs are gonna be full of rugby rocket polishers for 7 weeks … that’s me on the waggon then.

Only reason I even knew it was on as I saw Macron  getting boo’d on the news earlier :D

11 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Means the pubs are gonna be full of rugby rocket polishers for 7 weeks … that’s me on the waggon then.

Only reason I even knew it was on as I saw Macron  getting boo’d on the news earlier :D

Yeah I think I’m going to have to ‘curate’ my twitter for a couple of months. I don’t follow many people but the result of that is a disproportionate exposure to rugby due to a couple of people suddenly being life long fans / experts.

38 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Same. The grand tour does nothing for me either. It was lightning in a bottle for several years but I think it had just about run its course when they left the beeb.

I think it expired a few years before they left the BBC. It transitioned from a car show presented by Clarkson, May and Hammond  to a TV show by Clarkson, May and Hammond loosely about cars.

Some of the old stuff, especially the specials are brilliant. But the newer stuff with the VERY obviously staged comedy is hard to watch.

Edited by Genie

7 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I'm playing the score to Star Wars this weekend with the Colorado Symphony while the movie plays on the screens. I have reached my peak boyhood.

Playing Star Wars on the trombone while Star Wars is played on large screens around me.

I commented to one of the viola players that all I need was a joystick in my other hand and all of my teenage fantasies would be happening at once. She didn't seem that amused.

Treated MrsVM to one of these over here in Cardiff a few years ago. She'd never been to an orchestral anything and she isn't a Star Wars type but we both loved it. Great way to spend a few hours.

Quite apart from the films and our ages and it's significance in our childhoods and all that it is an absolute masterpiece of a score. Must be fun to play. What bit/bits are your favourites? Any Solos? I suppose it's lots of french horns doing melodys in the softer stuff like yodas theme. Imperial march must be fun.

I generally end up thinking if I'd kept it up or taken it half seriously I too could be up the back twatting those Timps with a big grin on my chops :D

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

If Wikipedia is anything to go by, Flintoff has been involved in three crashes while filming for the show (the previous two taking place in February and September 2019). I’ve managed to not register any of them until now.

I did watch Top Gear for a brief while with the “classic” line up. It was never quite must see tv for me. A semi regular light hearted distraction on a Sunday(?) night.

Even being a sporadic viewer it was clear that Evans wasn’t going to work out.

39 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I think I’ve seen the sketch linked in here , but Stewart Lee is as smug elitist clearing in the woods who Is even less funny than a female comedian 

The only thing I’d promote him for is first place up against the wall come the revolution … actually make that second , it will take some doing to keep  Russell Brand from receiving the first bullet 

I’m glad I read that to the end, because it had a redeeming point 

7 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I commented to one of the viola players that all I need was a joystick in my other hand and all of my teenage fantasies would be happening at once. She didn't seem that amused.

How old was she? The kids today call them controllers so she might have been both confused and repulsed in equal measure.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Another indicator I’m becoming increasingly out of touch because this is the first I’ve heard of this particular crash.

Same here. But then that's hardly surprising, as 

(a) I'm me

and 

(b) I detest cricket and Top Gear in approximately equal measure. 

• Like 3

Â