General Chat

Stevo985

1 minute ago, Paddywhack said:

I've posted elsewhere on here that I came back to work after Christmas on 27th December and since then, I've had absolutely nothing to do for 8 hours a day. We have a mountain of work waiting for us, but we've got to wait for the green light, so I'm trying to enjoy the calm before the storm.

Over Christmas, my 8 month old boy's routine seemed to completely change and he's apparently going through a 'development stage', so after feeding and bathing him, it's taking hours to finally get him to settle for the night. He's got a cold at the moment and he's all blocked up too, so that's not helping. It was 1:30am Sunday night/Monday morning before he got to sleep and then he was waking up and crying every hour or two.

I know it's a stupid, first world problem and every parent in the world has been through it, but I honestly don't think I've ever been as tired as I am right now. That combined with sat doing nothing at my desk for hours, I think it's sent me a bit doolally. I'm slurring my words, zoning out, forgetting what I'm doing etc. I'd love to turn my phone off, check in to a hotel somewhere and sleep for 16 hours straight. I think that might be slightly unfair on my wife though.

Its not a dumb idea.

Gift each other a day / night off. When we were on the same sort of phase I’d pull an all nighters keeping the nipper downstairs and just accepting I was staying awake for 24 hours. The pay off was that we’d then switch and my misses would do the same.

You can’t do it as a regular thing, but going to bed in your own bed knowing you’ve legit got the night off, that’s sweet.

Pay off for me was it was during Gulf War 2 and for some weird reason they allowed live rolling news from the frontline, so i would just be on the sofa all night watching air strikes and schizz. Weird weird time that was, zonked, new kid, live war on the tv.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I've posted elsewhere on here that I came back to work after Christmas on 27th December and since then, I've had absolutely nothing to do for 8 hours a day. We have a mountain of work waiting for us, but we've got to wait for the green light, so I'm trying to enjoy the calm before the storm.

Over Christmas, my 8 month old boy's routine seemed to completely change and he's apparently going through a 'development stage', so after feeding and bathing him, it's taking hours to finally get him to settle for the night. He's got a cold at the moment and he's all blocked up too, so that's not helping. It was 1:30am Sunday night/Monday morning before he got to sleep and then he was waking up and crying every hour or two.

I know it's a stupid, first world problem, every parent in the world has been through it and many other people have much tougher lives, but I honestly don't think I've ever been as tired as I am right now. That combined with sat doing nothing at my desk for hours, I think it's sent me a bit doolally. I'm slurring my words, zoning out, forgetting what I'm doing etc. I'd love to turn my phone off, check in to a hotel somewhere and sleep for 16 hours straight. I think that might be slightly unfair on my wife though.

When you say you have nothing to do, do you mean LITERALLY nothing? And are your boss(es) aware of it?

I don't know why managers would keep people at work under these circumstances. It's achieving nothing. Send everyone home and get them back in when you get the "green light"

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

When you say you have nothing to do, do you mean LITERALLY nothing? And are your boss(es) aware of it?

I don't know why managers would keep people at work under these circumstances. It's achieving nothing. Send everyone home and get them back in when you get the "green light"

Pretty much. There’s 5 or 6 of us with nothing to do. Other teams have plenty of work which we can’t help with, others are inundated, so that’s probably why they’re reluctant to let us go. I can’t imagine they’d be very happy seeing us packing up for the day.

If they’re happy to pay me to do nothing I don’t really want to moan, but you’re right, it does seem like a waste of everybody’s time. Tbf, I’m sure if I went asking they’d eventually find me something.

When I saw it was you who had quoted this I was surprised you hadn’t said something like “kids ruin your life!”. :D

20 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Pay off for me was it was during Gulf War 2 and for some weird reason they allowed live rolling news from the frontline, so i would just be on the sofa all night watching air strikes and schizz. Weird weird time that was, zonked, new kid, live war on the tv.

Hey, I might be getting the same thing soon!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Paddywhack said:

Pretty much. There’s 5 or 6 of us with nothing to do. Other teams have plenty of work which we can’t help with, others are inundated, so that’s probably why they’re reluctant to let us go. I can’t imagine they’d be very happy seeing us packing up for the day.

If they’re happy to pay me to do nothing I don’t really want to moan, but you’re right, it does seem like a waste of everybody’s time. Tbf, I’m sure if I went asking they’d eventually find me something.

When I saw it was you who had quoted this I was surprised you hadn’t said something like “kids ruin your life!”. :D

Ha. I missed an opportunity.
But clearly I don't even need to say it anymore ;) 

• Haha 1

The only odd "small hours television" I remember when sitting up all night with the baby was a French Div 2 (I guess) football match in midwinter. Sparse crowd, blizzard blowing, near-zero visibility, pitch covered in snow (just the marking lines scraped away), players all wearing tights and gloves, orange ball, sliding tackles that carried the player about forty feet, the lot. Proper entertaining, it was. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Harry’s quit his job with the royals and is moving to Canada with his missus. That must have been one awkward Christmas with Andrew lurking around. 

This was a breaking news notification on my phone. What the actual **** for? 

I despise the royals. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

This was a breaking news notification on my phone. What the actual **** for? 

I despise the royals. 

He hopes to become financially independent. FML. People say oh he's decent, for a royal. Still a sponging royal. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Harry’s quit his job with the royals and is moving to Canada with his missus. That must have been one awkward Christmas with Andrew lurking around. 

I think Meghan has decided that Harry will quit and move with her to Canada! He's just doing as he is told. She's already got a toxic relationship with most of her own family, now she is pushing Harry away from his.

Edited by Xela

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I think Meghan has decided that Harry will quit and move with her to Canada! He's just doing as he is told. She's already got a toxic relationship with most of her own family, now she is pushing Harry away from his.

You forgot to mention the usual snakes with tits line.

Just now, chrisp65 said:

You forgot to mention the usual snakes with tits line.

I was building up to that. 

Won't have the same impact now though. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

I was building up to that. 

Won't have the same impact now though. 

He’s ex army (ha!), he’s a prince, he has had a life of absolute privilege. If he is letting his wife be in charge, that’s his choice. 

I’m not yet convinced he’s a victim of domestic abuse.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

He’s ex army (ha!), he’s a prince, he has had a life of absolute privilege. If he is letting his wife be in charge, that’s his choice. 

I’m not yet convinced he’s a victim of domestic abuse.

She seems like one of the horrible girlfriends one of your mates gets. All smiles in person but you see over time him being whipped to her tune. Not coming out, making excuses, losing confidence.

13 minutes ago, Genie said:

She seems like one of the horrible girlfriends one of your mates gets. All smiles in person but you see over time him being whipped to her tune. Not coming out, making excuses, losing confidence.

I’ve only got the bollocks spouted in rag newspapers or by royal commentators to go on and perhaps I haven’t paid them as much attention or credence as I should have.

I’m no royalist, so I really haven’t given it too much thought. But there does appear to be even more excitable bullshit chatter around this pair than the others. 

• Like 3

On 08/01/2020 at 19:18, LondonLax said:

Headline on the BBC's website says, "Queen asks staff to find solution with Sussexes."

I'm picturing various knights potentially misinterpreting that.

Â