General Chat

Stevo985

yeah, sorry about that

there's bechamel sauce* on the biscuit barrel too if I'm honest

* I'd presumed the filter would have sorted that!

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 1

I found a short and curly on one of my samosas on friday, (samosa friday) because I am a word removed I popped it back in the box and didnt mention it, said I was as full as an egg, smiled inwardly as a colleague chowed down on it.

• Like 1

woke up during the night. flustered. heart palpitations. waves of dizziness. left thumb twitching. thought i was done for.

had roast beef for dinner. i blame that. red meat never agrees with me.

left thumb twitching!!!    thats some serious stuff going on.  

possibly the start of the zombie invasion.

but seriously, might want to get the doc to run some tests just in case.

I found a short and curly on one of my samosas on friday, (samosa friday) because I am a word removed I popped it back in the box and didnt mention it, said I was as full as an egg, smiled inwardly as a colleague chowed down on it.

Disgusting!

Who on earth would want to eat a samosa?

anyone watching GP's behind closed doors on channel 5 ?

If ever an argument was needed for charging people to visit a doctor then this show is it

Of course it's not a true reflection of every person that visits a doctors surgery but if a fee stopped these time wasters and lonely old women I'm fairly sure it would benefit everyone in the long run.

If ever an argument was needed for charging people to visit a doctor then this show is it

Of course it's not a true reflection of every person that visits a doctors surgery but if a fee stopped these time wasters and lonely old women I'm fairly sure it would benefit everyone in the long run.

I've emboldened (bolded?) the key bit of your post, Mr Loc. I'd imagine there are a good few 'timewasters' who visit their GP's regularly, that goes without saying. Some are probably hypocondriacs (sp). You take the rough with the smooth as a consequence of a universal, 'free' health care system. Not everyone is going to go in there with a broken arm, rabies, or the Big C. Some go there with a cold etc. Charing people though, IMO, is not really a good idea, as all it may do would be to possibly deter those with little money from going to their GP, even if they have a serious ailment, for fear of it costing them, and that really isn't a situation one should desire to see.

You were watching a programme on Channel 5 though Tone. It's not going to be particularly representative of 90% of the people that go in there, or it'd be a terminally boring show that nobody would watch. They jazz it up, and select cases that are going to get you a bit riled.

The receptionist at my Mother in Law's doctors surgery got her good and proper the other day.

The MIL had a back ache and called the doctors for an appointment. As you could expect the next appointment was a few days away. MIL said that it was an emergency and she needed to be seen the same day. Receptionist said you'll have to come down at 8am and wait to be seen but couldn't confirm exactly when it would be. MIL said she can't sit the surgery all morning she has to work... receptionist said it doesn't sound very much like an emergency then if you're at work :lol:

From what I can tell a lot of the clogging up of doctors surgeries is down to the over willingness of GP's to sign people off work. People wander in, give a 2 minute sob story and walk out with a doctors note for 2 weeks off work.
  • Like 1

Speaking of doctors, I got a letter from mine the other day having a go at me for missing a hospital appointment in January. "Please contact the surgery in the near future to explain why you have missed your appointment"

I didn't know I had an appointment!

A couple of my friends are part time doctors (by part time I mean they've elected to do reduced hours as a life style choice, not that they're happy amateurs or anything). As sad as it is to report this, they both say that a day in a GP surgery can be a long line of the lonely, the literally unwashed, and people hoping their cold is actually a new strain of flu with the two killer symptoms: a sniff and a bit of an ache.

But, it can also save a life when somebody comes in with an early symptom and it's spotted diagnosed and dealt with. So it would be spectacularly difficult to weed out the timewasters. It would be particularly difficult to use a £5 charge as the filter. People in work will happily pay £5 to queue jump the diagnosis of their cold. People that don't have £5 would end up exempt anyway.

But there is a problem there.

• Like 1

A couple of my friends are part time doctors (by part time I mean they've elected to do reduced hours as a life style choice, not that they're happy amateurs or anything). As sad as it is to report this, they both say that a day in a GP surgery can be a long line of the lonely, the literally unwashed, and people hoping their cold is actually a new strain of flu with the two killer symptoms: a sniff and a bit of an ache.

But, it can also save a life when somebody comes in with an early symptom and it's spotted diagnosed and dealt with. So it would be spectacularly difficult to weed out the timewasters. It would be particularly difficult to use a £5 charge as the filter. People in work will happily pay £5 to queue jump the diagnosis of their cold. People that don't have £5 would end up exempt anyway.

But there is a problem there.

What's the problem?

I've emboldened (bolded?) the key bit of your post, Mr Loc. I'd imagine there are a good few 'timewasters' who visit their GP's regularly, that goes without saying. Some are probably hypocondriacs (sp). You take the rough with the smooth as a consequence of a universal, 'free' health care system. Not everyone is going to go in there with a broken arm, rabies, or the Big C. Some go there with a cold etc. Charing people though, IMO, is not really a good idea, as all it may do would be to possibly deter those with little money from going to their GP, even if they have a serious ailment, for fear of it costing them, and that really isn't a situation one should desire to see.

You were watching a programme on Channel 5 though Tone. It's not going to be particularly representative of 90% of the people that go in there, or it'd be a terminally boring show that nobody would watch. They jazz it up, and select cases that are going to get you a bit riled.

Yeah that's far comment , I had the same thought myself about people not going due to lack of funds and then missing out on a diagnosis  and that of course would be a concern  ... but it did seem to be a high amount of people that had nothing wrong with them  ... so any form of solution could surely help 

I got the impression some people thought the Doctor was there for social chit chat and general sounding board \ agony aunt  !!

The show itself didn't necessarily come across as an attempt at getting you angry tbf , I felt more a case of sympathy with some of these people who were clearly lonely ..and embarrassment " Doctor can you put your finger up my bum and see if you can feel any pooh " 

not my first choice of viewing I have to admit , it was on after a show i watched and I couldn't be arsed to switch over  ..... and yet it was strangely compelling viewing

I have found that doctors will sign somebody off work for absolutely anything. 

absolutely anything?

I have a paper cut. Could I get a week off work?

Based on some of the sicknotes I've had to take, probably.

Â