General Chat

Stevo985

I know it's a part of life, but I can never disagree with Hicks' comments. Though everyone advertises or self promotes to a certain degree... it's just the extent of the obsession, the money and conniving psychological study that goes into persuading, influencing and to a fair degree controlling people to buy needless tat "grinds my gears." But equally I accept people and companies do occasionally also need to be able to go "ahem, over here girls and guys, we have something that, may or may not be of interest to you, just so know, it'll be over here on this stall. Not wishing to pressure you, take a read of what it does, think about it, if you like it, hmm, why not?" 

Now that Sky are going to be showing GAA matches, the Other Football forum title might create some confusion. Mods are going to be plagued with you British folk starting threads there about square balls and referees being encouraged to adjudicate in favour of high profile matches going to draws

Edited by yillan

It's quite interesting how the far-right (or, rather, very nationalist) parties do really well across Europe when things turn to shit.

Yet it never really catches on here, does it?

I wonder why that is.

UKIP?

It's also a result of our rather 'undemocratic' style of FPTP voting. Mitigates against smaller parties with a decent level or countrywide (but not localised) support. But the swell is certainly there for UKIP to do 'well' (votes-wise) in the forthcoming GE ...

ok, this is more general chat than footy related, hence why I've stuck it here

as a random snapshot of people's jobs I've compared the two lists of footy players in last night's programme, the first lot are from the 1955 season and jobs are listed thus: 

3 Plumbers

2 carpenters

2 corporation gardeners

1 electricity board

1 national service

1 postman

1 brewery worker

1 plasterer

2 farm labourers

1 electrician

1 miner

1 bricklayer

1 metal worker

1 RAF

all very 1955 stand up jobs, then we have last night's away team...

1 bricklayer

1 sales account manager

1 barman

6 university  (3 sport related, 1 unspecified, 1 bioengineering, 1 teaching degree)

1 sales administrator

1 teaching assistant

1 gym instructor

1 clerical assistant

1 Frankie and bennies

1 sales

1 year off after teaching degree

1 crisp department at Tesco (that's what it says!)

1 scaffolder

I guess this could have gone in the boring thread, but I thought it was an insight into what we've become over the last 60 years, not good or bad, just different

• Like 3

1 chrisp department at Tesco (that's what it says!) 

You have your own department at Tesco? On a serious note, isn't that just a fancy job title for a shelf stacker (not that there's anything wrong with doing that for a living)?

• Like 2

I did shelf stacking for Tesco's (night shift) and while it sounds boring it really wasn't as you were kept at it for the duration of your hours.

They are hard to work for though. Just before you finish your shift you have to make sure that all products are fronted up (labels to the front). What we did as you can get stare crazy was to get your workmates to check the stock you have been working on before the manager came around to give it the once over and if anything was set backward then you got vicious stick.

For once my aisle was fine and then inspected by the store manager. The store manager then got a set of steps and climbed to the top of the aisle and came back down again shaking his head looking very disgruntled.

I then received a lecture from my line manager telling me that at the very top of my aisle the stock was placed in a curved line and not straight. Not having a set of steps to check this and having not seen any customers requesting a set of steps to see whether the very top of the aisle was straight when you look down from a great height left me more than slightly pissed off which the line manager soon found out.

I was given a verbal warning for the outburst and left weeks later.

Maybe this should have been posted in the boring thread after all?

1 chrisp department at Tesco (that's what it says!) 

You have your own department at Tesco? On a serious note, isn't that just a fancy job title for a shelf stacker (not that there's anything wrong with doing that for a living)?

they usually have me on bogof

or reduced on the date expired rack

I just wrote what they'd put in their player pen pics, could be real, could be an in joke as he's a multi millionaire crisp baron, but yes I suspect he's a Tesco stacker and best of luck to him too

• Like 1

That sounds pretty strict. I worked for Tesco shelf-stacking twelve years ago now and they were nowhere near as harsh as that.

It was a tough job though, made much harder by the stupid people I worked with. Since I was at school, I would work a couple of week nights 5pm-10pm and rather than just get straight to putting out the stock, the first hour of my shift would be spent reorganising the stock room because the two stupid bints who worked the day shift and the idiots in the deliveries warehouse who brought out new stock into our stockroom did a terrible job.

When I'd punch in at 5pm, all the older stock that needed to be put out would be right at the back of the room with all the newer stuff in rollcages blocking it. It was like a damn puzzle game sometimes. I'd have to move out all the new cages and put them to the back just to get access to the stuff. This should have been the last job of one of the girls who worked during the day but they never did it because they were lazy cows.

I then kept getting told off by my manager for not putting enough stock out during my shift but since she knew the girls during the day better and their two words were against mine, I got the blame. I hated those stupid bastards. Eventually I got another job and told my manager where she could stick her job. I never did get to tell the other two women I worked with what I thought of them.

They made 'the list' though...

• Like 1

I'm sure there's a boring job thread, but I'll stick it here as we're talking about jobs.

The most boring job I ever had was probably the best, in a weird way. It was working in a pensions department, and it didn't interest me at all!

But what made the job worthwhile were my colleagues. We were an office of 12 people, all in our 20's and 30's, half the office were female and they were fit! The main boss never bothered us, the office manager was in his mid 30's and was more of a mate than a boss. Every day was a mixture of flirting and jokes between us. We did our jobs well because for the most part we were a good team.

It was great, but the pay was shit so I left for a job earning double my salary.

I wanted my old job back after a month, the new job was horrible. Bad atmosphere in the office, nobody was happy there. Every day was a slog. I'd rather be poor and happy in my work.

ok, this is more general chat than footy related, hence why I've stuck it here

as a random snapshot of people's jobs I've compared the two lists of footy players in last night's programme, the first lot are from the 1955 season and jobs are listed thus: 

3 Plumbers

2 carpenters

2 corporation gardeners

1 electricity board

1 national service

1 postman

1 brewery worker

1 plasterer

2 farm labourers

1 electrician

1 miner

1 bricklayer

1 metal worker

1 RAF

all very 1955 stand up jobs, then we have last night's away team...

1 bricklayer

1 sales account manager

1 barman

6 university  (3 sport related, 1 unspecified, 1 bioengineering, 1 teaching degree)

1 sales administrator

1 teaching assistant

1 gym instructor

1 clerical assistant

1 Frankie and bennies

1 sales

1 year off after teaching degree

1 crisp department at Tesco (that's what it says!)

1 scaffolder

I guess this could have gone in the boring thread, but I thought it was an insight into what we've become over the last 60 years, not good or bad, just different

Actually, it's bad.  :(

Â