Indian Girls

Voinjama

I seem to remember the problem with the term half cast being put rather well by a mixed race poet of Jamaican descent who took the term to it's extreme as a term for half a person.

I think mixed race is the best term (obviously the very best would be 'person' and until we can get that kind of thinking across the board we're stuck with the overt idea of us and them and so on) and I don't think it really can be termed offensive on any level in any way, other than the afore mentioned othering.

I seem to remember the problem with the term half cast being put rather well by a mixed race poet of Jamaican descent who took the term to it's extreme as a term for half a person.

I think mixed race is the best term (obviously the very best would be 'person' and until we can get that kind of thinking across the board we're stuck with the overt idea of us and them and so on) and I don't think it really can be termed offensive on any level in any way, other than the afore mentioned othering.

That bloke came to our school, "WHAT DO YOU MEAN, WHEN YOU SAY HAAAAAAAALF CAAAAST"

He was quite good, funny in a weird way.

I personally don't see the term half-cast offensive, I've got 2 black mates and my best mate is half-cast, but to be fair then again, I rarely use the term, just say black mainly but again never in a position to use it as I rarely ever have to describe him to someone...

I think the half cast/mixed race thing is geographical.

In Brum it seems to be used by all with no negative connotations at all, yet on the few occassions the term half cast has cropped up in conversation with people from down south they have been horrified.

One occassion it was my boss who had been bullied within her community for being half cast or 'half breed' as they used to compare it to being the same status as a dog. That was a lovely comfortable afternoon at work for me.

That bloke came to our school, "WHAT DO YOU MEAN, WHEN YOU SAY HAAAAAAAALF CAAAAST"

He was quite good, funny in a weird way.

I personally don't see the term half-cast offensive, I've got 2 black mates and my best mate is half-cast, but to be fair then again, I rarely use the term, just say black mainly but again never in a position to use it as I rarely ever have to describe him to someone...

It was John Agard.

Analysing poems really got me far in life.

Ugh, **** poems.

Indeed, the only reason I remember that poem is because I was forced to analyse and compare it with countless others for my GCSEs.

I think the only poetry that didn't completely die for me post analysis was Blakes stuff, and that was touch and go. Maybe some Wilfred Owen stuff.

...how off-topic is this? ;)

Analysing poems really got me far in life.

Ugh, **** poems.

**** poems you say?

e e cummings (appropriate name!) springs to mind:

may i feel said he

may i feel said he

(i'll squeal said she

just once said he)

it's fun said she

(may i touch said he

how much said she

a lot said he)

why not said she

(let's go said he

not too far said she

what's too far said he

where you are said she)

may i stay said he

which way said she

like this said he

if you kiss said she

may i move said he

is it love said she)

if you're willing said he

(but you're killing said she

but it's life said he

but your wife said she

now said he)

ow said she

(tiptop said he

don't stop said she

oh no said he)

go slow said she

(cccome?said he

ummm said she)

you're divine!said he

(you are Mine said she)

:)

Has "sentimental associations" for me.... :oops:

GCSE is wank for poetry.

A Level is much better for it.

Poetry is wank full stop

I think it's rather plop

It's a complete waste of time

all that trying to make stuff rhyme

you wouldn't catch me doing it

cause any poem i write ,would be a load of shit

Does it really imply you are half a person though?

Half cast means, half white, half black. Half + Half = 1.

In agreement with Grant's point about it being geographical. Had always used it with no ill feeling, but when I used it once I got to uni I was a raving racist apparently.

So....how do Indian girls wipe their arses then?

:lol:

I wouldn't know how Indian girls wipe their asses. If you read that topic I have made no contribution about how I or anyone else wipes their ass. Try again *******

Â