Is Cuellar a good player?

vivaashleyyoung

Is Cuellar good enough?  

365 members have voted

1. 1. Is Cuellar good enough?

• Yes
    • No

collins will probably have to wait its just unlucky for him that the person in his position is currently un dropable. He'll get his chances tho, but i do feel for the guy because he was our best performer prior to getting injured. Having 4 top class centre backs will be difficult to maintain and i can see davies leaving the club as i think he'll be fourth choice when he returns.

collins will probably have to wait its just unlucky for him that the person in his position is currently un dropable. He'll get his chances tho, but i do feel for the guy because he was our best performer prior to getting injured. Having 4 top class centre backs will be difficult to maintain and i can see davies leaving the club as i think he'll be fourth choice when he returns.

If Curtis Davies leaves due to being fourth choice then I would say that we have made some pretty larges strides of late...........

To the point in question though, Cuellar has been outstanding this season, particularly since switching back into Central Defence, he even seems a little more composed on the ball and from what I've seen since he scored past Bolton he's appeared to be more of a danger in the opposition box too, an all round improvement for sure.

As a footnote I would like to say that I don't think I've been as happy to see someone score as I was to see Cuellar score since Bouma scored past 'Castle.......

'Castle ha, you can take the boy out of Stoke on Trent...

I wouldn't be sorry to see Davies leave tbh, we probably could still get around 7m for him due to age and potential and he's shown before he plays up if he's on the bench for a period of time.

Clark against Fulham showed far more composure alongside Cuellar than Davies has ever done so wouldn't want to hinder his development either.

Not sure if this has mentioned before in the post but I think people sometimes forget ( myself included ) how different it is playing full back compared to centre back.

Defensively, i had no problem with him at right back as he won a lot of headers at the back post and didnt get skinned often but his passing and forward play wasnt very good at all. At full back, you generally see less of the pitch and have fewer passing options than at centre back and i think this was one of the issues with him.

If you look at other decent centre backs who have been made to play fullback they never look as comfortable, I seem to remember Liverpool playing Skrtel at right back last season and Downing took him to the cleaners. I also didnt think Mellberg was ever that good at right back either.

Not sure if this has mentioned before in the post but I think people sometimes forget ( myself included ) how different it is playing full back compared to centre back.

Defensively, i had no problem with him at right back as he won a lot of headers at the back post and didnt get skinned often but his passing and forward play wasnt very good at all. At full back, you generally see less of the pitch and have fewer passing options than at centre back and i think this was one of the issues with him.

If you look at other decent centre backs who have been made to play fullback they never look as comfortable, I seem to remember Liverpool playing Skrtel at right back last season and Downing took him to the cleaners. I also didnt think Mellberg was ever that good at right back either.

a good point well made.

i often said the same thing (to much derision on here) about mellberg.

Just had a look at some stats for the United match on the Guardian's chalkboards. Cuellar didn't make a single unsuccessful tackle (neither did Petrov), and had only 2 unsuccessful clearances and 3 unsuccessful passes. He really is a good player, works well with Dunne it seems. Good stuff.

The defence as a whole really should be sung from the rooftops at the mo, they're class. Funny what a bit of balance will do.

Cuellar was excellent. Did get caught out of position a couple of times but Dunne was their to cover - how it should be with a CB pairing.

Maybe Stan didn't make an unsuccessful tackle because every time he couldn't get it he gave away a free kick??

Maybe Stan didn't make an unsuccessful tackle because every time he couldn't get it he gave away a free kick??

I don't wish to turn this into another Petrov thread but he gave away 3 freekicks, only one more than Gabby.

Anyway, I think looking at the stats of what Cuellar and Dunne do, I think you can see some of the partnership they're developing quite simply - Dunne makes more interceptions and the more cultured of the play at the back, and Cuellar takes a more no nonsense get it away approach.

Think you're bang on here - playing at fullback requires much more 'football' than playing at centre half which is probably why central midfielders and fullbacks seem to be quite interchangeable.

Think you're bang on here - playing at fullback requires much more 'football' than playing at centre half which is probably why central midfielders and fullbacks seem to be quite interchangeable.

When you consider the history and evolution of football tactics, that's not surprising (fullbacks came along long before center backs did).

It's also not surprising when you look at the term "center half".

Â