Is Cuellar a good player?

vivaashleyyoung

Is Cuellar good enough?  

365 members have voted

1. 1. Is Cuellar good enough?

• Yes
    • No

A major problem of his is that of getting strength on his headers. When was the last time you saw Carlos thump a header all the way back out to midfield? Laursen and Mellberg to an extent did that magnificently, but Cuellar seems unable to head the ball further than 10 yards. He gets no height and distance on his headers at all.

Playing the 4-5-1 helps alleviate this weakness as there are more midfield players to pick up the ball after Carlos has headed it out, but in a 2 man midfield as seen in the Wigan and the Rapid game, Carlos's weak heading only gives the opposition another chance to attack.

Also, he gets turned rather easily, and loses players who have a tiny ounce of movement.(see Rapid game)

Another minor criticism I have of him would be that he likes passing square, but let's face it, we've had this lack of passing confidence problem for a long time now.

His strengths though are that he takes up brilliant defensive positions, and seems to possess the uncanny ability to pre-empt where the shot is going to end up and gets himself there before the shot is even struck. And some of his last-ditch tackling is superb.

I think he does have some good qualities, but he needs the proper partner to perform the weaker areas of his game for him. Cuellar will never be good enough to perform the Mellberg-role(closing down opposition players running at the defence) because he doesn't have enough pace and gets turned easily. With a proper "Mellberg" beside him however , Cuellar could then just focus on sweeping up at the back, where his ability to take up good defensive positions and his great last ditch tackling can be utilized to it's fullest.

Davies was supposed to be the "Mellberg" for Cuellar, but it just hasn't worked out as of yet, part of the reason might be Curtis's shoulder problem, I don't know. But I would hope that Dunne's arrival will help bring out the best in Cuellar.

I still think when fit, Davies is still the much more promising defender.

He has done well against Liverpool and Fulham. The defence was shocking vs Vienna. Hope he plays like he did in the last 2 league games for the rest of the season but i doubt he has a chance of going to the World Cup as he will not get Spanish caps.

I can't believe MON is prepared to let him play in his chosen position for the last four games, I mean how is he supposed to get really confused if this carries on?

I'll say this, he's short of pace for the Prem, but he'll more than make up for it with his courage and timing, said it before...

Legend waiting to happen

I can't believe MON is prepared to let him play in his chosen position for the last four games, I mean how is he supposed to get really confused if this carries on?

I'll say this, he's short of pace for the Prem, but he'll more than make up for it with his courage and timing, said it before...

Legend waiting to happen

just like Laursen was, I think Cuellar could become a rock for us if he continues his performances of the past week.

Legend waiting to happen

Yeah, he's not the quickest, but he's built like a tank and knows his job.

As long as we're playing a 4-3-3, he's perfect at the back.

does any1 want to change their mind after today's solid performance?

I think he is good enough and he's still pretty young so in a few years he should be one of our best players

Agreed, looked very good on Sunday. Maybe him and Davis are like Hart to Hart, if they are apart everything is cool and the gang, put em together and they are murder.

• 2 months later...

Saw a Carlos thread getting resurrected earlier, so thought it would be interesting to dig this one out. I think his performances of late have proved that the 75% who said 'yes', were right to have faith in the bearded wonder. Will be interesting to see how MON deals with the potential selection headache once Collins can return

I don't rate him too highly but he has been the best of the two. Then again that isn't saying much. He started off very well on Sat and got progressively worse.

Saying this back in August I am delighted how Cuellar has done this season and long may it continue.

He's not a RB although he doesn't disgrace himself there. At CB he's pretty damn good. Glad he's done quite well this season so far even out of position. And I couldn't have been happier to see him score yesterday.

I am not Cueller's biggest fan, but even I voted yes.

He is obviously a good player.

My beef with Cueller is he seems to lack concentration, always switches off. You could argue (although maybe harshly) that he switched off for their goal on Saturday.

If Cueller has an experienced guy next to him (Laursen or Dunne) I don't have an issue. However, he isn't good enough to be that "main-man" - which at 28 - he should be.

However, as long as we do have Dunne, there are no worries.

Still prefer to see Collins at the back. When all are fit, and it is Young, Collins, Dunne , Warnock - I will admit Cueller will be unlucky - but thats the fact - Collins and Dunne are better players - Cueller is a 3rd choice - and luckily, not a bad third choice.

Of course I am chuffed to bits we won 5-1 on Saturday, but they were possibly the worst side I have seen down the Villa, they were appalling. So I am not going to start saying our players are world class on the back of that.

Cueller has been OK this season - nothing more, nothing less - so dont go making out he is some kind of John Terry !

I think, like Davies, he lacks communication and leadership. So those two together were a disaster. But on his own alongside Dunney or Collins who both seem to be very good communicators Cuellar seems a very good player. I'm very happy with our defence, especially if Luke Young gets a regular spot now (which he definitely should)

turned a leaf this year! ADAPTED TO THE GAME!

Last year i kept saying well hes playing out of posiiton! Then when we played west ham and he played CB i though god he is still awful!

This year though he has shone in evrey game! Fair play to the lad! Just more proof that we need to get behind our players to get the best out of them! Less Booing more encourgement! I do thin it helps that he is playing with better defenders though!

Â